Note2: Following these steps will, in this order: void your warranty, factory reset your TF701, provide root.
These instructions will show you how to gain root on the Asus TF701 by unlocking the bootloader and using fastboot.
Prerequisites: drivers, adb and fastboot (this), firmware >= 10.14.1.47, asus unlock app
- Download the Asus unlock device app from asus.com
- Install and run the app. This will require a valid google account (if you use one time passwords, you'll need to generate one for this purpose) and internet access.
- When booting with [vol-] + [power] pressed, the transformer will show the message "The device is unlocked"
As the TF701 is very similar to the Nvidia Shield, this method is based on that.
- Download and unpack root.zip and cd into that directory
- Boot the transformer to the bootloader with [vol-] + [power] pressed
- fastboot boot zImage_dtb ramfs.img.gz
- When seeing the smeared graphics, wait until the transformer reboots
- The transformer should boot normally and start optimizing applications
- Check root
Foot note: I compared the TF701 and the Shield, and concluded that they should be similar enough to be able to boot the same ramfs. The root method itself was not developed by me.
This is my first instructional root post, what may or may not explain the general structure/mess.
If this was any help, please consider pressing the thanks button. Thanks.
This is based on previous version of https://github.com/linux-shield/shield-root