FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

TF701 Root

99 posts
Thanks Meter: 125

Post Reply Email Thread
Note1: Do at your own risk. As always, it's your device and you're responsible for your actions.
Note2: Following these steps will, in this order: void your warranty, factory reset your TF701, provide root.

These instructions will show you how to gain root on the Asus TF701 by unlocking the bootloader and using fastboot.

Prerequisites: drivers, adb and fastboot (this), firmware >= 10.14.1.47, asus unlock app

Unlock:
- Download the Asus unlock device app from asus.com
- Install and run the app. This will require a valid google account (if you use one time passwords, you'll need to generate one for this purpose) and internet access.
- When booting with [vol-] + [power] pressed, the transformer will show the message "The device is unlocked"

Root:
As the TF701 is very similar to the Nvidia Shield, this method is based on that.
- Download and unpack root.zip and cd into that directory
- Boot the transformer to the bootloader with [vol-] + [power] pressed
- fastboot boot zImage_dtb ramfs.img.gz
- When seeing the smeared graphics, wait until the transformer reboots 2 minutes and then hard reset (as I did), or press power once (as menollo did)
- The transformer should boot normally and start optimizing applications

- Check root

Foot note: I compared the TF701 and the Shield, and concluded that they should be similar enough to be able to boot the same ramfs. The root method itself was not developed by me.
This is my first instructional root post, what may or may not explain the general structure/mess.
If this was any help, please consider pressing the thanks button. Thanks.

This is based on previous version of https://github.com/linux-shield/shield-root

The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to lpdunwell For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lpdunwell Ad-Free

7th November 2013, 02:39 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Have you tested this yourself and get it to work successfully?
7th November 2013, 04:03 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Thanks for the verification and screenshot! I hope there will be more dev support now that we have root.....
7th November 2013, 05:16 PM |#5  
OP Member
Flag The Lost Woods

Donate to Me
More
Sure.
My dev system's ready, I'm going to have a a try at getting a recovery running for the TF701.
However there's still a fair chance, someone will beat me to it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lpdunwell For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lpdunwell Ad-Free
7th November 2013, 08:45 PM |#6  
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 475

More
Interesting, still a very new device. i think i will wait a bit to mess with it

but thanks for your contribution

fellow users, if this worked for you please leave a feedback for others
The Following User Says Thank You to AngryDinosaur For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AngryDinosaur Ad-Free
8th November 2013, 05:54 AM |#7  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Somewhere in a Deep Cave on the Troll Kings Throne
Thanks Meter: 6,969

Donate to Me
More
The big question, is do you have RW privileges to your /System folder? Try copying or deleting a file in /system, or open build.prop and add

# test

at the bottom and save. Or you can try setting the permissions via ES File explorer.

If you can't, then you really don't have full root access. Only Superuser and SU binary. This can cause problems when a root app tries to remount /system as RW (superuser updating binary for example).
The Following User Says Thank You to Moscow Desire For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Moscow Desire Ad-Free
8th November 2013, 06:30 AM |#8  
OP Member
Flag The Lost Woods

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscow Desire

The big question, is do you have RW privileges to your /System folder? Try copying or deleting a file in /system, or open build.prop and add

# test

at the bottom and save. Or you can try setting the permissions via ES File explorer.

If you can't, then you really don't have full root access. Only Superuser and SU binary. This can cause problems when a root app tries to remount /system as RW (superuser updating binary for example).

Using FX File explorer i remounted /system as RW, opened build.prop and added #test to the bottom, then saved the file. It works.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lpdunwell For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lpdunwell Ad-Free
8th November 2013, 07:08 AM |#9  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Somewhere in a Deep Cave on the Troll Kings Throne
Thanks Meter: 6,969

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdunwell

Using FX File explorer i remounted /system as RW, opened build.prop and added #test to the bottom, then saved the file. It works.

Good to know
8th November 2013, 08:26 AM |#10  
Flag Przemysl
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Arrow
Have anyone tried this method for tf701 from tf300t? I know, it's for different models, but...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2228613
8th November 2013, 09:02 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 77

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdunwell

I confirm we have RW privileges in the /system folder. Titanium Backup wouldn't work at first so i started removing bloatware manually in the /system/app folder. I could do this without any problems. TB is working now, it need a wipe data first...

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaPe000

Have anyone tried this method for tf701 from tf300t? I know, it's for different models, but...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2228613

I'v tried Motochopper when i got my tablet and is not working on the TF701.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
tf701 tf701t transformer root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)