[Q] USB OTG possibility?

Search This thread

titomax82

Jan 21, 2008
I guys, maybe I'll buy LG Optimus G for xmas. The only lack of this phone, imho, is the missing SD card slot. It won't be a lack if this phone supported OTG, but, as lot of us know, microusb on this phone doesn't provide 5V output, so it's impossibile to connect other usb devices to OG.

5V output is not the only requirement to make USB OTG work, but 5V usb power can be easily supplied with a Y cable with one end connected to a power source (computer or phone charger itself or external emergency batteries). OTG needs also compatibile soc (snapdragon s4 pro is compatible for sure), kernel support (it should be enough to connect devices, such as usb gamepads) and software support (for example to read what's on a usb stick). Software support is easier than 5V, lot of free and well know softwares can be found on googleplay. So only kernel support is the last enemy. I'm not able to compile kernels or other stuff like this, but, as I saw for other devices (even mid-range like some samsungs with novathor chipset) or for OG's almost-twin Nexus 4 which has the same situation of OG, kernel support can be easily integrated by people with some skills in android programming.... So, is there anyone who can try to add kernel support?

Reactions: sunyakram

davevinci

Apr 12, 2012
Baguio City
I guys, maybe I'll buy LG Optimus G for xmas. The only lack of this phone, imho, is the missing SD card slot. It won't be a lack if this phone supported OTG, but, as lot of us know, microusb on this phone doesn't provide 5V output, so it's impossibile to connect other usb devices to OG.

5V output is not the only requirement to make USB OTG work, but 5V usb power can be easily supplied with a Y cable with one end connected to a power source (computer or phone charger itself or external emergency batteries). OTG needs also compatibile soc (snapdragon s4 pro is compatible for sure), kernel support (it should be enough to connect devices, such as usb gamepads) and software support (for example to read what's on a usb stick). Software support is easier than 5V, lot of free and well know softwares can be found on googleplay. So only kernel support is the last enemy. I'm not able to compile kernels or other stuff like this, but, as I saw for other devices (even mid-range like some samsungs with novathor chipset) or for OG's almost-twin Nexus 4 which has the same situation of OG, kernel support can be easily integrated by people with some skills in android programming.... So, is there anyone who can try to add kernel support?

We have kernel that supports nexus 4 OTG hack... Find it on the other forum for OG... Havent tested it though.. And o u must be on 4.3 to use kernel

Sent from my LG Optimus G using Tapatalk

Reactions: sunyakram

Gvirendra201

Nov 8, 2013
Aurangabad
Did u find that.

Thanks... but where precisely?

Did u find that kernel that supports nexus 4 OTG hack, will it work if i flash that kernel on my LG optimus G ?
I've a purchased USB Y cable too, just waiting for the kernel....

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

We have kernel that supports nexus 4 OTG hack... Find it on the other forum for OG... Havent tested it though.. And o u must be on 4.3 to use kernel

Thanks... but where precisely?

Did u find that kernel that supports nexus 4 OTG hack, will it work if i flash that kernel on my LG optimus G ?

titomax82

Jan 21, 2008

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

No, I haven't found it and I have still have no LGOG, maybe for xmas.
Hoping someone else can help

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yaa. I got that...

So, still no kernel? :(

I got that working 3-4 months ago.
    There's a kernel from Houstonn's AOSP 4.4 kiktkat ROM.
    Try that, I used OTG for like 1 month And then moved to stock again.