[Q] How To Root the Straight Talk SCH-S968C Samsung Galaxy S III

12 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

By buffnitup, Junior Member on 7th November 2013, 01:55 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
13th September 2015, 11:39 PM |#1081  
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_man

I have copied all the camera files I could find from a working CM12 install, the camera2 and gallery2 folders from /system/app and /system/ cameradata. Camera still won't connect. Where would I find the camera files on a TW install?

Sent from my SCH-S968C using XDA Free mobile app

If you're on a TW based ROM then try pulling from a stock nandroid or from the stock firmware, if not on TW then it won't work.

Edited to clarify the implied meaning of original post.

14th September 2015, 02:07 AM |#1082  
Flag Blacksburg, VA
Thanks Meter: 142

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_man

I have copied all the camera files I could find from a working CM12 install, the camera2 and gallery2 folders from /system/app and /system/ cameradata. Camera still won't connect. Where would I find the camera files on a TW install?

Sent from my SCH-S968C using XDA Free mobile app

Hadn't tried copying the gallery2 apk, but I might give that a shot to see the impact. I have the camera2.apk from /system/app and /system/cameradata folder. Both are in that same location in a TW install. You can grab them from a TW ROM install, or if you're a little more command line savvy, you can grab them from nandroid backups.

I'm not sure about grabbing the files from a 12.1 ROM. I've read that it should be from the stock ROM. Not sure what difference it would or wouldn't make.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Free mobile app
14th September 2015, 03:57 AM |#1083  
Nothing TW camera wise is gonna work on cm or aosp. Samsung has their camera software on lock down which is why we have so many issue with camera on custom roms. We have to rely heavily on CAF
15th September 2015, 01:47 AM |#1084  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
so im not very tech savvy but I have a galaxy s3 model sch-s968c that came with jelly bean, im trying to get kitkat for it but Im struggling haha. I go through straight talk and the update for it apparently hasn't been released. can anyone provide a root app for this model, kitkat file, ect so I can do it manually?
15th September 2015, 02:31 AM |#1085  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince111111

so im not very tech savvy but I have a galaxy s3 model sch-s968c that came with jelly bean, im trying to get kitkat for it but Im struggling haha. I go through straight talk and the update for it apparently hasn't been released. can anyone provide a root app for this model, kitkat file, ect so I can do it manually?

Which firmware revision is on your phone?
15th September 2015, 02:42 AM |#1086  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Just to show my ignorance at this sort of thing I don't even know where to look to find the firmware version. Is it in the about phone?
15th September 2015, 02:54 AM |#1087  
Flag Blacksburg, VA
Thanks Meter: 142

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince111111

Just to show my ignorance at this sort of thing I don't even know where to look to find the firmware version. Is it in the about phone?

Yep. Settings > About phone > baseband version. Check if the version number ends in H1 or H2
27th September 2015, 06:37 AM |#1088  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix2002

Yep. Settings > About phone > baseband version. Check if the version number ends in H1 or H2

I got a new straight talk s5 recently so i tried some things with my s3....
The Boot loaders unlocked so its easy to root it. My baseband is H2 no need to flash H1
Simply flash cwm recovery 6.0.4.5.tar (touch verison doesnt seem to work) when phone reboots from odin immediately and I mean immediately hold the correct keys to boot into recovery if you let the phone boot you have to flash again.
Have a supersu.zip on your sd card (probly shoulda mentioned that first) and install it via cwm
Then enjoy root

Also twrp doesnt work and no other versions of cwm recovery work just google "clockwork mod recovery verizon s3 .tar, i belive the link was on xda forums anyways

P.s. i wonder what my straight talk 4glte sim would do in my s3? I remember the custom rom no sim or working mms crap on the s3. Ill investigate it a bit.

P.p.p.p.s when u guys finally bite the bullet and get the straight talk s5, i have rooted that in a similar fashion. It also runsvon verizon but has 4g! Finally! The model # is SM-S902L just fyi also costs 550$ brand new from walmart thats the really sucky part

Edit: i used odin v3.07 to flash use PDA button and default options (dont use phone button, confusing i know)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bumpum For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bumpum Ad-Free
27th September 2015, 07:12 AM |#1089  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpum

The Boot loaders unlocked so its easy to root it. My baseband is H2 no need to flash H1
Simply flash cwm recovery 6.0.4.5.tar (touch verison doesnt seem to work) when phone reboots from odin immediately and I mean immediately hold the correct keys to boot into recovery if you let the phone boot you have to flash again.
Have a supersu.zip on your sd card (probly shoulda mentioned that first) and install it via cwm
Then enjoy root

Also twrp doesnt work and no other versions of cwm recovery work just google "clockwork mod recovery verizon s3 .tar, i belive the link was on xda forums anyways

P.s. i wonder what my straight talk 4glte sim would do in my s3? I remember the custom rom no sim or working mms crap on the s3. Ill investigate it a bit.

P.p.p.p.s when u guys finally bite the bullet and get the straight talk s5, i have rooted that in a similar fashion. It also runsvon verizon but has 4g! Finally! The model # is SM-S902L just fyi also costs 550$ brand new from walmart thats the really sucky part

Edit: i used odin v3.07 to flash use PDA button and default options (dont use phone button, confusing i know)

I'll have to give it a try on mine. I know this is how I've rooted my other s3's by Odin flashing TWRP, rebooting into recovery & flashing superSu. I actually have an H1 rooted & running flawlessly on OctOS. I've also got a completely stock H2 not rooted. We actually have a TWRP recovery we compiled from source for d2tfnvzw. I'm interested in seeing if it works on H2 via Odin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
27th September 2015, 09:57 AM |#1090  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpum

Then enjoy root

You rooted H2 baseband by flashing superSU in recovery? I'm sure that was tried long ago. Are you certain you have the H2? I have done more research for this model(both basebands and chipsets) than you could possibly imagine, I've been everywhere there is anything on this model and I have never seen it mentioned anywhere that superSU flashed in recovery successfully roots the H2. I'm gonna need something more to go on than just your word on that because from what I know they went to a lot of trouble to make the H2 kernel so that it can't be rooted by normal means (flashing TWRP and superSU bring the most common), in fact, its the exact reason the H1 devices were pulled from the shelves and the H2 devices were put in their place, it wasn't to update or improve the device, it was to block rooting the device.

By the way, if you have autoreboot unchecked when you flash a recovery via Odin, the device won't automatically reboot and you don't have to be so quick to catch it so that you don't miss recovery, just uncheck it and flash, when done you don't have to worry with trying to beat it to the punch, you just casually press and hold the buttons and boot to recovery.
The Following User Says Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
27th September 2015, 05:06 PM |#1091  
@Bumpum, Yeah, a screenshot of your rooted H2's settings about phone section on custom ROM would be all we need to see as proof. Thanks, your neighborhood friendly trac-fone killer 😛 lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
The Following User Says Thank You to canodroid15 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift canodroid15 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)