5 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By stoke451, Junior Member on 9th November 2013, 10:25 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
The Dell Venue has been rooted!

You'll probably want to head over to social-design-concepts' thread:

[DEV] DELL VENUE 7/8 Intel Rooting / Development Discussion

Dell Venue 8 DEV-EDITION conversion
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stoke451 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stoke451 Ad-Free

15th November 2013, 10:04 PM |#2  
Flag Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Meter: 20

More
I think we need a dedicated board for the new Venue tablets. I would like to get mine rooted as well.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to arclight25 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift arclight25 Ad-Free
23rd November 2013, 11:01 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I am waiting for the BF deal to get Venue 8 for $129. I also want to know if it will be possible to root it.

I am newbie to rooting as well, but I guess the first thing is to unlock the bootloader. Am I right?

What is Dell's previous attitude to locking the bootloader on their Android devices? Will it be possible to unlock this device's bootloader?
25th November 2013, 12:18 PM |#4  
Flag Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Meter: 20

More
I would imagine that root will be possible at some point. It is running pretty much vanilla android. (I am glad dell didn't add all their bloatware)

$129 is an awsome price for this tablet. It tests out on Antutu much better than the Note 8.0 and $129 puts it almost $200 less. (Not counting what Samsung will do for its own BF deals)

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
28th November 2013, 04:50 AM |#5  

More
Amazon just dropped the price by $20. $109 now and the 32G was $159. I went with 32G.
28th November 2013, 10:18 AM |#6  
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 10

More
I also just bought 32G version.. Great deal and free shipping with Amazon prime
28th November 2013, 10:57 AM |#7  
Flag halifax
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kildurin

Amazon just dropped the price by $20. $109 now and the 32G was $159. I went with 32G.

which amazon site? i just checked both us and canada site and the us isnt even mentioning the 32 gig and the 16 gig is still 179 and canada site doesnt sell em yet this is valid as of 657am eastern standard time
30th November 2013, 01:16 AM |#8  
Flag Ardmore
Thanks Meter: 76

More
I just ordered one from newegg. They're offering the 8" 32gb model for $159.99. Amazon has the 7" 16gb model for $159.99.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
1st December 2013, 02:45 AM |#9  
Flag North Georgia
Thanks Meter: 45

More
I got 32GB Venue 8 from Dell for $149 shipped Thanksgiving night. Got the Targus Folio case for $15 there too. Ordered an Armorsuit screen protector from Amazon for it, and already have it. lol
1st December 2013, 06:54 PM |#10  

More
So, I ultimately decided not to get this 8 inch tablet. Instead got the Nexus 7, which should offer immediate OTA updates and more developer support.

The official Dell support for the tablet seems to be lacking as there are two or three issues still unresolved at their official forums. And I think the Venue 8 Pro Windows 8.1 tablet is getting much more popular, so Dell might offer more support to their Windows line.
2nd December 2013, 06:56 AM |#11  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 253

Donate to Me
More
Maybe all we need is a Clockworkmod recovery or TWRP recovery?

I found out that the bootloader is unlocked, that means it's ripe for the pickings: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2551863

EDIT: I gave some more thoughts into this rooting method and realized that using Motochopper wouldn't work because it will attempt to install an ARM su binary. The Dell Venue 7 & 8 are Intel x86 tablets, we must find another rooting method. This is just purely a hypothesis as I haven't done any detailed analysis of the Motochopper exploit, but maybe we can substitute the ARM su binary with an x86 one from the Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 or ASUS MemoPad FHD 10.1 forums.

I know that both of these tablets have successfully gained root, the Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 requires the tablet to flash a modified system image with su already pushed into it through ODIN and the ASUS MemoPad FHD 10.1 requires the same process through fastboot. I know fastboot is already unlocked on the Dell Venue 7/8, all there is now is to find a way to include the x86 su binary into the Dell Venue 7/8 system image and we can just flash it into our system.

This will likely mean that we need to find a way to extract the system image from these tablets and then manually install the x86 su library to /system/xbin/su and then also bundle SuperSU.apk on the system as well.

deltatux
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)