FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[SOLUTION] External_SD Writable Fix on Kitkat 4.4

2,857 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,593

Post Reply Email Thread
Hello guys after searching and searching for all the Ported CM and AOSP 4.4 roms looking for a fix to external sd cards to be able to write I came to the frustrating conclusion that there is nothing yet posted to address this.

So I went into the files system to look into it to try to find anything suspicious that is bugging out the ext_sd.
I found that the platform.xml have some external sd writable properties I see that is missing a line so apps can write to the external_sd

Here is the fix;
  1. Get or Download Root Explorer app or any File Manager with ROOT access from the PlayStore to be able to access the system files.
  2. Locate the platform.xml file in the system/etc/permissions folder.
  3. Create a backup of the original file before you go any further in case you need to revert back.
  4. Either open this file up on your phone or copy it to your PC for editing with Notepad++.
  5. At the file open, scroll down until you find a row beginning name=”android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE” >, I believe is on line 71 in the file.
  6. On a new line under lines” and “, you need to add , and save the file.
  7. Just make sure you keep the line right below the other ones like shown in the picture below for organize purposes.

It should loom like this
Code:

<permission name="android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >

<group gid="sdcard_r" />

</permission>

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >

<group gid="sdcard_r" />

<group gid="sdcard_rw" />

<group gid="media_rw" />

</permission>

<permission name="android.permission.ACCESS_ALL_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >

<group gid="sdcard_r" />

<group gid="sdcard_rw" />

<group gid="sdcard_all" />

</permission>

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE" >

<group gid="media_rw" />

</permission>

Done, save the changes, or copy the file back from your PC, and overwrite the original version.
Set permissions
Reboot your phone and the fix will be applied.

This Method should work on any device except for the already edited file attached.

If this have help in any way please a Thank and a credit will be great
Attached Files
File Type: rar platform.rar - [Click for QR Code] (1.8 KB, 7022 views)
The Following 66 Users Say Thank You to TecknoFreak For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TecknoFreak Ad-Free

12th November 2013, 10:44 PM |#2  
Flag Chattanooga
Thanks Meter: 1,355

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVLAN

Hello guys after searching and searching for all the Ported CM and AOSP 4.4 roms looking for a fix to external sd cards to be able to write I came to the frustrating conclusion that there is nothing yet posted to address this.

So I went into the files system to look into it to try to find anything suspicious that is bugging out the ext_sd.
I found that the platform.xml have some external sd writable properties I see that is missing a line so apps can write to the external_sd

Here is the fix;

1. Get or Download Root Explorer app or any File Manager with ROOT access from the PlayStore to be able to access the system files.
  2. Locate the platform.xml file in the system/etc/permissions folder.
  3. Create a backup of the original file before you go any further in case you need to revert back.
  4. Either open this file up on your phone or copy it to your PC for editing with Notepad++.
  5. At the file open, scroll down until you find a row beginning name=”android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE” >, I believe is on line 71 in the file.
  6. On a new line under lines”<group gid="sdcard_r" /> and <group gid=”sdcard_rw” />“, you need to add <group gid=”media_rw” />, and save the file.
  7. Just make sure you keep the line right below the other ones like shown in the picture below for organize purposes.

Done, save the changes, or copy the file back from your PC, and overwrite the original version.
Reboot your phone and the fix will be applied.

This Method should work on any device except for the already edited file attached.
Now looking at the system files to try increase network signal to stock signal strength and LTE

If this have help in any way please a Thank and a credit will be great

Thanks for finding this! We need to remember to add this to source....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pcarenza For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pcarenza Ad-Free
13th November 2013, 12:12 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 413

More
Don't quote the whole op man really?
But good job man definitely gonna try it.

Sent from my PACMAN MATRIX HD MAXX
The Following User Says Thank You to deeje00 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift deeje00 Ad-Free
14th November 2013, 01:38 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Hot Springs
Thanks Meter: 3,058

More
Thanks, good find. Submitted this as a pull request to the dev team, giving you credits in the commit message. Also starting a new kk build with that included and whatever AOSP updates have happened.....I haven't bothered checking, but I noticed a few updates during the repo sync.
The Following User Says Thank You to skeevydude For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift skeevydude Ad-Free
14th November 2013, 02:00 PM |#5  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Deltona
Thanks Meter: 1,593

Donate to Me
More
Thanks skeevy, i dont have a github so I couldnt. I was actually waiting for you to tell you.lol

Sent from my MB886 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
14th November 2013, 02:06 PM |#6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Hot Springs
Thanks Meter: 3,058

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVLAN

Thanks skeevy, i dont have a github so I couldnt. I was actually waiting for you to tell you.lol

Sent from my MB886 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

All I need is to just see a post like that and it's done. Should have a new 4.4 AOSP up in two hours if it fully builds....should, it's never failed yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to skeevydude For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift skeevydude Ad-Free
17th November 2013, 05:43 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 638

More
This worked for me, thx a ton!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
21st November 2013, 12:28 PM |#8  
Flag Liverpool, NY
Thanks Meter: 4

Donate to Me
More
i tried this and it messed up my phone. had to reflash the rom.
21st November 2013, 01:34 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjosph

i tried this and it messed up my phone. had to reflash the rom.

Use root explorer or similar app, rename the original xml file with extension (.bak) and copy/paste the attached (OP) xml file and set permission correctly (644). Worked fine for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to crossxn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift crossxn Ad-Free
21st November 2013, 06:37 PM |#10  
Flag Liverpool, NY
Thanks Meter: 4

Donate to Me
More
thanks it works now.
30th November 2013, 02:58 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 239

More
this confirmed working on Galaxy s4 GE 4.4. thanks OP
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)