FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Do you prefer deodex ore odex?

Odex

311 Vote(s)
82.06%
Deodex

68 Vote(s)
17.94%

[EOL][ODEX][SCRIPT] Odexer Tool 1.8 BETA (11-25-2014)(MM-dd-yyyy)

1,066 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,517

By MatrixDJ96, Senior Member on 14th November 2013, 09:47 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Code:

/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 */

What is ODEX and DEODEX?
Quote:

Android uses application packages, or APKs as they’re normally called, to tell the operating system what app to load and execute. The framework, that contains others packages, with JARs extension, is the first part of the OS that is in /system partition and it is the first one that is loaded when the OS boots up.
Coming back to Android applications, there are two possible routes to follow, based on the fact that each app is comprised of an APK and a cache part that tells the Android Dalvik VMwhat components does the app come with.

The cache for each APK is contained separately in a .odex file, which loads into the Dalvik VM at the time of boot, thus speeding up boot times. (ODEX)
The cache for each APK is contained within the APK itself as a classes.dex file, making the boot times slower as Dalvik VM is built up. (DEODEX)

Now, ideally, most OEMs choose to opt for the first route, for two major reasons. First, it makes modifying the system apps more difficult (making the OS more stable and secure), and two, faster load times for the OS itself, since the cache is built as part of the virtual machine itself. In normal cases, where an Android firmware is odexed the .odex files for each /system APK and JAR are written into the Dalvik VM when the OS boots up. Since these .odex files contain preliminary load information about each system app, the OS knows what to expect when it’s booting up, and consequently, loads all these apps faster. Ultimately, for the user, it means that boot times are significantly sped up, and you can put your device to use much sooner. As opposed to the above, in a deodexed (custom) ROM, there is no cache information within the Dalvik VM at the time of boot, so when the system status up, it only gets to know which files to load once the /system partition APKs and JARs are actively accessed. This, in effect, will result in a much longer boot time, since each APK and JAR will be processed one by one, and you will be able to use your device long after you’ve powered it up. In real life, that’s not the case. With deodexed ROMs, only the first ever boot after clearing Dalvik-cache is slower, and all subsequent ones will be the same as any odexed ROM. This is owing to the fact that during the first boot, all cache information is written to the virtual machine anyway, and hence, it will behave as any other firmware (until you clear the Dalvik-cache once again). While an odexed firmware is faster and more secure, a deodexed one gives more modification freedom, and is the only way possible to change the look and feel of system apps.

Summary of ODEXED ROM
It's fast to open system app, has more stability and more battery life, uses less RAM than DEODEXED ROM but it's a little bit complex to customize APKs and JARs and is a little bit slower to boot up.

Summary of DEODEXED ROM
It's slower than an ODEXED ROM to open system app, has less stability and less battery life, uses badly RAM but it's a "easy" customization of APKs and JARs and is a little bit faster to boot up.

What is Odexer Tool?
Quote:

Odexer Tool (OT) is a script that allow you to odex your ROM in a safety way without using a PC. I worked a lot of time to make it and so if you like it, please give a thanks.

What does OT do?
Quote:

1 -> Odex Framework in /system/framework/*.jar
2 -> Odex Apps in /system/app/*.apk
3 -> Odex Apps in system/priv-app/*.apk
4 -> Remove classes.dex from JARs/APKs (if emabled)

Which are the commands of OT?:
Quote:

frame -> odex all framework
sysapp -> odex all system apps
all -> odex all ROM
set -> enable/disable 'Remove classes.dex'

Is it safe to ODEX the ROM?
Quote:

I think that it is dangerous to ODEX the ROM because you are touching Android completely. With OT I made a safety way to ODEX but there us always a possibility to soft brick your device. I suggest you to use it when you are at home with a PC (and not when you are out) if something goes wrong.

Is it safe to enable 'Remove classes.dex'?
Quote:

No, i dangerous because if something goes wrong (for example during framework odex), there is more possibility to soft brick the device but if you have Honey Comb, Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean you must enable it if you don't want message "Android is upgrading" on every boot.. On KitKat is really dangerous because some older rom (first KitKat built) this option will soft brick at 100% your device.

Which Android versions are compatible?
Quote:

Froyo (2.2.x)
Gingerbread (2.3.x)
Honey Comb (3.x.x)
Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.x)
Jell Bean (4.1.x, 4.2.x, 4.3.x)
KitKat (4.4.x)

What do I need to ODEX?:
Quote:

I need only 4 things!
First, DEODEXED (or partial) ROM.
Second, custom recovery to flash OT.
Third, some free space in /system (check below).
Fourth, a working brain!

How much space do I need to ODEX?:
Quote:

Framework -> 14% or more of free space in system.
System apps -> 23% or more of free space in system.
All ROM -> 31% or more of free space in system.

How can I ODEX my device?
Quote:

First of all be sure to have a chance to restore everything!
1 -> Download Odexer Tool (link in second post)
2 -> Reboot into recovery
3 -> Install Odexer Tool
4 -> Reboot into system
5 -> Open Terminal Emulator
6 -> Type 'su' to obtain root access

7.a -> Type 'odex' to show possible command/s
8.a -> Type one of the possible command/s that is available
8.a -> Waiting and enjoy!
OR
7.b -> Type 'odex one of the possible command/s' (for example 'odex all')
8.b -> Waiting and enjoy!

Follow me here: Odexer Tool Official Community
The Following 432 Users Say Thank You to MatrixDJ96 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MatrixDJ96 Ad-Free

14th November 2013, 09:52 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Genova

More
Download Odexer Tool
The Following 82 Users Say Thank You to MatrixDJ96 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MatrixDJ96 Ad-Free
14th November 2013, 09:52 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Genova

More
Credits:
- @MatrixDJ96 (Me)
- MrTony68 (Beta Tester)
- @Thyrus (Beta Tester)
- @angel.sea (For Support)
- Stericson (For BusyBox)
The Following 48 Users Say Thank You to MatrixDJ96 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MatrixDJ96 Ad-Free
14th November 2013, 09:54 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Genova

More
Reserved aaa
The Following 47 Users Say Thank You to MatrixDJ96 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MatrixDJ96 Ad-Free
14th November 2013, 10:16 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Genova

More
Reserved aa
The Following 98 Users Say Thank You to MatrixDJ96 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MatrixDJ96 Ad-Free
14th November 2013, 10:25 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 53

More
ohh New beta I'll try
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Urticant2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Urticant2 Ad-Free
14th November 2013, 10:27 PM |#7  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 926

More
Amazing work!

Successfully odexed everything in 4.4 kitkat on e970 LG Optimus G.

EDIT: "Sorry, you are limited to 8 thanks per day"...... You will get a thanks tomorrow!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MiZrY For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MiZrY Ad-Free
14th November 2013, 10:42 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Genova

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urticant2

ohh New beta I'll try

Thanks for support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiZrY

Amazing work!

Successfully odexed everything in 4.4 kitkat on e970 LG Optimus G.

EDIT: "Sorry, you are limited to 8 thanks per day"...... You will get a thanks tomorrow!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MatrixDJ96 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MatrixDJ96 Ad-Free
14th November 2013, 11:31 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Are this work on cusrom toucwiz s4?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4
14th November 2013, 11:38 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 53

More
Ok now just gapps fc mhhh (i use banks gapps core)
The Following User Says Thank You to Urticant2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Urticant2 Ad-Free
14th November 2013, 11:57 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 148

Donate to Me
More
does it work with MIUI too?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)