FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

WARNING: Android 4.4 KitKat on Nexus 7 (2012) 3G disables sms.

370 posts
Thanks Meter: 601

By bengtan, Senior Member on 18th November 2013, 05:32 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
[EDIT: Linked thread from Nexus 7 (2013) forum: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?t=2531897]

Hi,

I'm the developer of 8sms.

It seems that sms no longer works on the Nexus 7 3G if you upgrade to Android 4.4.

In the past, some people have been able to use sms on their tablets by downloading and installing a third party sms app (such as 8sms). Even though there is no stock messaging app with the ROM (and AFAIK, this is not an official feature), this has generally worked.

However, Android 4.4 KitKat on the Nexus 7 3G takes away this feature.

In Android 4.4, a messaging app must be set as the "default sms app" so it can be allowed to save new messages to the phone's message database. In other words, a messaging app must be the default sms app in order to operate fully.

In the Nexus 5 (and Android emulators), there is a setting Settings » ... » Wireless » Default sms app which allows you to choose your default sms app.

In the Nexus 7 3G, this setting DOES NOT EXIST.

(This is according to what one user of 8sms has told me. )

It seems that the "default sms app" is not supported on the Nexus 7. In other words, you cannot set an app to be the default sms app. That means it is not possible to use an sms app.

Can some other readers confirm this?

If confirmed, this is a LOSS OF FUNCTIONALITY.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bengtan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bengtan Ad-Free

18th November 2013, 05:56 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 100

More
You are right. Sms does not work at all on kitkat on my N7 LTE
Even hangout does not have SMS feature

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
18th November 2013, 08:07 AM |#3  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 515

More
Agreed, I was the one to originally alert this OP to the issue. Incoming SMS triggers a notification in the tray that leads only to a pop-up dialogue. After dismissing it, the OS does not save the incoming SMS anywhere and installed clients cannot see it.
18th November 2013, 12:31 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Unhappy
Same with my nexus 7 LTE. I have tried different sms apps but the outcome is the same with android 4.4 (everything was fine with 4.3.1)
Anyone has a working solution for this ?
18th November 2013, 01:33 PM |#5  
Flag Rawalpindi
Thanks Meter: 169

More
i have wifi nexus 7 2012 so cant any thing for sure but i think google changed sms in 4.4 sms are integrated with hangouts so download go sms (i think they have updated their app for 4.4) and report back.
18th November 2013, 02:03 PM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xateeq

i have wifi nexus 7 2012 so cant any thing for sure but i think google changed sms in 4.4 sms are integrated with hangouts so download go sms (i think they have updated their app for 4.4) and report back.

I already tried with Go SMS but no luck...
18th November 2013, 02:26 PM |#7  
Flag Rawalpindi
Thanks Meter: 169

More
then try hangout, ur sms might be there as google told us
18th November 2013, 03:22 PM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xateeq

then try hangout, ur sms might be there as google told us

On Nexus 7 the Hangouts App doesn't have such feature...
Even some guy before me mentioned this
18th November 2013, 04:07 PM |#9  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 515

More
Right, the issue is that the OS builds for Nexus 7 are barring SMS apps from participating in Kitkat's usual way of doing SMS, and there's no default app to rely on.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
18th November 2013, 05:48 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
It is such a shame... I have not upgraded yet. I use 8sms. I hope there is a way to enable it.

Envoyé de mon Nexus 7 en utilisant Tapatalk
18th November 2013, 06:08 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 58

More
What a mess. Google needs to take a step back and stop trying to force us to use hangouts.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
messaging, nexus 7 2013, nexus 7 3g, sms

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)