FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

VirtualGamepad (Demo & Beta) Released

58 posts
Thanks Meter: 29

By LilCthulhu, Member on 19th November 2013, 06:48 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
VirtualGamepad - Play Desktop Games On Your Windows 8 Tablet

Hi guys, after a few months and a few posts in XDA's Windows 8 Development forum, it's time for the official demo and beta release of VirtualGamepad for Windows 8 Tablet. I look forward to your feedback here and on the VirtualGamepad website. I would like to thank Netham45 for his initial release.

The Freeware Demo is obviously free, the Beta is currently in a phase of Donationware.

There's a couple of reasons for that, among them :

1 - Build a pool of dedicated Beta Testers who are going to be involved in the forums and on my issues database.
2 - Build new features that would require costly 3rd party licenses (Hardware Joystick Emulation for example).
3 - Cover some of the development costs including the website, new tablets for better support, etc. ( I don't even know if it still works on Windows RT !)

You can get the Freeware for free. You can also donate and get the Freeware, Beta and Future Release. It's your call.

Initially, netham45 wanted to release it for free to XDA members and I want to respect that. If you were a standing member of XDA by November 20th 2013, contact me to get the discount code This code is meant for XDA members only, so please do not share elsewhere. Also, please use your XDA account name to register.

LilCthulhu aka Christian

http://virtualgamepad.net
http://palmtime.net

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to LilCthulhu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LilCthulhu Ad-Free

19th November 2013, 11:46 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Well, sadly it doesn't work on RT. Installer itself is x86 app; trying to run app gives no error, but task disappears from task manager in few seconds.
19th November 2013, 02:29 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitor

Well, sadly it doesn't work on RT. Installer itself is x86 app; trying to run app gives no error, but task disappears from task manager in few seconds.

Thanks for the feedback, I've added that issue on my bugtracker (website) and will be working on it...
22nd November 2013, 06:53 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
hello, good job, thx!
How i can make buttons on analog joystick as up down left right? (not wasd)
Sorry for my bad english...
22nd November 2013, 07:08 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDeaz

hello, good job, thx!
How i can make buttons on analog joystick as up down left right? (not wasd)
Sorry for my bad english...

Hello,

The demo is currently limited to WASD, the beta version allows you to assign different keys to the four directions in the analog joystick ! I will also try to make some tutorial video asap
23rd November 2013, 08:48 PM |#6  
OP Member

More
VirtualGamepad Update Version 1.01

Hello,

A new version of VirtualGamepad has been released today. This version should enable Windows RT compatibility, answer a few feature requests and address a few issues. It does require higher administrative rights as we found them necessary for certain games like Elder Scroll Online.

If you have already downloaded VirtualGamepad, log in into your account and your updates will be available here.

Windows may warned you about this new release, it is totally understandable considering the increased security requirements. I will eventually get a trust certificate allowing me to sign VirtualGamepad properly. In the meanwhile, it’s a matter of trust between you and me.
23rd November 2013, 09:52 PM |#7  
Flag Upstate NY
Thanks Meter: 342

More
Great program should make desktop games much better on tablets. I have an 8" tablet that I run at 125% magnification, and this seems to cause some of the buttons to be off center. Not a huge deal as I can run at 100%, but heres a screenshot of what happens at 125%.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	virtualpad.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	2410911  
23rd November 2013, 10:01 PM |#8  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunker88

Great program should make desktop games much better on tablets. I have an 8" tablet that I run at 125% magnification, and this seems to cause some of the buttons to be off center. Not a huge deal as I can run at 100%, but heres a screenshot of what happens at 125%.

Thank you very much for this snapshot. Is it only affecting the visual aspect of the game or is the control off center too ? Does the WASD joystick work properly ? I see you have the latest update, that's great. I'll put this issue in the issues database and try to figure out a solution. I think I know how to do it... but that would require me to check what is the current value of the magnification.
23rd November 2013, 11:53 PM |#9  
Flag Upstate NY
Thanks Meter: 342

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilCthulhu

Thank you very much for this snapshot. Is it only affecting the visual aspect of the game or is the control off center too ? Does the WASD joystick work properly ? I see you have the latest update, that's great. I'll put this issue in the issues database and try to figure out a solution. I think I know how to do it... but that would require me to check what is the current value of the magnification.

Its only the visual part, for example the top left directional pad buttons look offset but they actual buttons line up with the circle where they should. So the position of the d-pad graphic would need to be lined up with the circle at 125% and everything would work.

I'll have to see how games work at 125%, I may end up just switching back to 100% when I plan to game if their graphics are messed up as well.
24th November 2013, 12:35 AM |#10  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunker88

Its only the visual part, for example the top left directional pad buttons look offset but they actual buttons line up with the circle where they should. So the position of the d-pad graphic would need to be lined up with the circle at 125% and everything would work.

I'll have to see how games work at 125%, I may end up just switching back to 100% when I plan to game if their graphics are messed up as well.

FYI : I have already fixed this issue in my development environment, it'll be release with the next update... probably in a few days once I have enough fixes to justify another release I need to implement an update notification so I don't have to email all my user everytime there's an update
25th November 2013, 06:57 PM |#11  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilCthulhu

FYI : I have already fixed this issue in my development environment, it'll be release with the next update... probably in a few days once I have enough fixes to justify another release I need to implement an update notification so I don't have to email all my user everytime there's an update

I just release an update that should fix this issue and should now be Windows RT compatible...

[2013/11/25] VirtualGamepad Update Version 1.02 @ http://virtualgamepad.net/
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)