[INFO] Rootable Serial Numbers

2,477 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,020

By bhiga, Recognized Contributor on 21st November 2013, 07:17 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
22nd November 2013, 09:18 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Correct. This was NIB purchased from Best Buy yesterday. The box did not look to have been opened previously. I thought I was lucky to find a 38 one. But oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

Uhoh, that kind of punches a hole in the serial number range theory...
Was this an online or retail store purchase?

And just to make sure, was it new and fresh out of the box, not set up or not connected to the Internet long enough to get an automatic update?

22nd November 2013, 09:19 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
I rooted a 3904 yesterday so you can fill in that gap.

Sent from my SCH-I535
The Following User Says Thank You to dirtfoot For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dirtfoot Ad-Free
22nd November 2013, 09:26 PM |#13  
OP Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Thanks for the info and report gaganit, hopefully you remain the sole exception to the rule.

Thanks also to dirtfoot for the report!
22nd November 2013, 11:47 PM |#14  
Warren, MI
Thanks Meter: 157

More
Quote:

Thanks for the info and report gaganit, hopefully you remain the sole exception to the rule.

Thanks also to dirtfoot for the report!

I wonder if it's possible that it was returned back to Google where it was updated and repackaged for resale?
23rd November 2013, 12:13 AM |#15  

Donate to Me
More
There seems to be no serial number printed on the outside of the Chromecast itself, unless it's in UV ink or something...
I'm not sure whether there are laws or manufacturing codes that prevent re-use of serial numbers.

Another possibility is the unit may have been produced, but recalled before shipment for some reason (maybe it didn't pass a QA check or someone thought something was missing from the box) and it was updated during the re-check. Since it never left Google's manufacturing, I think it could still be sold and packaged as new at that point. *shrug* The world may never know...
23rd November 2013, 02:20 AM |#16  
Warren, MI
Thanks Meter: 157

More
Quote:

There seems to be no serial number printed on the outside of the Chromecast itself, unless it's in UV ink or something...
I'm not sure whether there are laws or manufacturing codes that prevent re-use of serial numbers.

Another possibility is the unit may have been produced, but recalled before shipment for some reason (maybe it didn't pass a QA check or someone thought something was missing from the box) and it was updated during the re-check. Since it never left Google's manufacturing, I think it could still be sold and packaged as new at that point. *shrug* The world may never know...

A serial number could be in a file inside the CC.
23rd November 2013, 02:26 AM |#17  
Inactive Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 1,507

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski

A serial number could be in a file inside the CC.

Code:
cat /factory/serial.txt
This will output the serial # of your device, but it must be rooted to run this command. You can use either telnet or SSH.

The chomecast box will also show the serial # on the sticker by the barcode.
23rd November 2013, 02:32 AM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 140

More
Quote:

I read that post yesterday while I was hunting for serials. It was guy4jesuschrist here.

He asked the Geek Squad agent who then asked someone else (likely the manager, as the product would then become an open-box, but perhaps they had space for another floor unit). It's at the manager's discretion, but I suspect most times they would be cool with it, especially if you're a My Best Buy Elite Plus member (formerly RewardZone Silver) because that means you shop there a lot.

Plus at $35 it's not like getting a return of a TV... But again, manager's discretion - and don't abuse the system, you will eventually get flagged for excessive returns.

So find a likely serial first, then check it - and if it works, honor your end of the deal and buy it.

Hmm... I guess for those in "root-dry" areas that are really desperate you might be able to talk a manager into letting you test and buy the display unit at regular price, assuming they used actual units and weren't provided demo/fakes. Or maybe exchange your working but non-rootable unit with the demo unit.

Yes, I was allowed to test it, probably since it was my 3rd attempt and I live an hour away. They knew that I would buy it and try it anyways, so they allowed me to test it there to save me a trip. Thankfully it worked. Mine was probably a special case, but that's not to say that someone might run across a generous employee/manager who's willing to help. After he had already opened it and was in the process of getting it hooked up and ready to test, during my explanation of why I was trying to find an older firmware model, he did tell me that since it had been opened it couldn't be returned to the shelf and would he sent back to Google.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
23rd November 2013, 03:44 AM |#19  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddggttff3

The chomecast box will also show the serial # on the sticker by the barcode.

Thanks. For non-root-able devices guess we just have to trust the serial number on the box, unless Google makes it visible in the Chromecast app.
23rd November 2013, 08:16 AM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 51

More
3825 (rooted) purchased through Amazon when they were exporting to the UK.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to MadBob For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MadBob Ad-Free
23rd November 2013, 05:28 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Ordered three CC 9/3/2013. Have been using the first and it is OTA in hackable.

Just flashed the two in their boxes 3804 and 3816.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to akenis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift akenis Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)