FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] Workaround for attaining S-OFF (for Windows 8.1. users)

2,124 posts
Thanks Meter: 623

By kickassdave, Senior Member on 26th November 2013, 10:36 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
For those on Windows 8.1 who have just about given up trying to get S-OFF...

For reference I have an ATT HTC One, but showing in bootloader as m7ul (didn't seem to make a difference to any downloads/steps anyway so meh)....
hboot = 1.44
S-ON (hence the inability to install the new GPE 4.4 ROMs)...

So I have tried every single fix imaginable on these forums and the Internet in general... absolutely nothing has worked... trust me....
I then seen a comment from someone mentioning using Ubuntu to do it... I thought... no way, I'm not bothering, all that effort, and it'll still fail... well tell you what, via various forums, sites, fixes etc (lol) I got there in the end.

Prerequisites:
Rooted
hboot 1.44 (I haven't tested newer versions... assume you're looking here really because you had the same problems as me - test with other hboot versions at your own risk I guess)
Not sure if the version of Rom you are currently on matters, I was on 4.3 Google edition (Eragon V14), so don't ask me which to be on

Let's do the following:
1) Download Windows Ubuntu from here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...dows-installer
Click "Get the Installer"
Download and save the .exe to wherever you want

2) Right click the .exe and create shortcut

3) Change the target of the shortcut (right click --> Properties) to end with the following: \wubi.exe --32bit

4) Run the installer, and just go with any defaults

5) Once rebooted in to Ubuntu we are going to download and install fastboot and adb

6) Click the Windows key, type "Terminal" and hit RETURN

7) type the following at the "command" prompt: (do not type [RETURN] <-- lol)
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8 [RETURN]
sudo apt-get update [RETURN]
sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot [RETURN]

When prompted, enter the password you set up when you installed Ubuntu in the first place.

8) To confirm Fastboot now works (yes... it was that easy)
Boot your phone in to Fastboot (hold VOL DWN + Power --> Fastboot)
Connect up the phone to USB
In the terminal, type the following then press RETURN
sudo fastboot devices

You should see your device serial, confirming it is recognised by Fastboot
----

9) Now to download Rumrunner -- get the archive from the following location:

Open the download (rather than save), and extract all files to the Home/Download folder (you can just click and drag them over)

10) Now, we need to allow the "soju" file to be executed
Right click the extracted file "soju" --> go to Properties --> Permissions tab --> Tick "allow executing file as program"

Almost there.....

11) Boot the phone back up and enable USB Debugging via Developer Options
Also change display timeout to 10mins, and set screen security to None

12) Disable Fastboot where applicable (Settings --> Power --> Fast boot)

13) Now to run the Rumrunner application....
Again, within the terminal, type the following:
cd Downloads [RETURN]
(if this doesn't work, you need to navigate to the folder you extracted the "soju" file to, so the cd (change directory) DOS command works fine here)

Now type the following (once you are in the same location as "soju")
sudo ./soju

If you are ready (definitely) to start the process, now press RETURN.

14) You will be asked twice to type "Yes" exactly as displayed followed by RETURN to confirm, please do not type Yes to the warnings that will come up periodically after the script starts (if you give them a moment, you will see them continue without any input from yourself)

15) Sit back... and wait for it to complete. The process took about 20mins in total to complete on my phone... and I've now got S-OFF. If you keep getting prompted for what to do with your phone being plugged in - just press cancel to the prompts.

p.s. if this worked - please press THANKS
If anyone needs any clarification, let me know, I will try and respond as soon as possible (if others could help - that would be appreciated too)
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kickassdave For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kickassdave Ad-Free

7th January 2014, 03:01 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thumbs up
Registered here just so I could say you are awesome! Your guide worked for me after literally months of trying to get s-off for my AT&T HTC One hboot 1.55.

A couple things I had to do differently:

1. I used a ISO image of Ubuntu 12.04.3 32 bit burned to a dvd and just booted off it to the option to try Ubuntu without installing. I could not get your link to work with my Windows 7 installation.

2. Since I was not actually booting from my hard drive but rather a read only DVD, I had to do some improvising for the extracting of the rumrunner files. I put them on the desktop, but then had to search a bit to find them in order to run the soju file in terminal.

Again, thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to EM101 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift EM101 Ad-Free
7th January 2014, 09:58 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM101

Registered here just so I could say you are awesome! Your guide worked for me after literally months of trying to get s-off for my AT&T HTC One hboot 1.55.

1. I used a ISO image of Ubuntu 12.04.3 32 bit burned to a dvd and just booted off it to the option to try Ubuntu without installing. I could not get your link to work with my Windows 7 installation.

2. Since I was not actually booting from my hard drive but rather a read only DVD, I had to do some improvising for the extracting of the rumrunner files. I put them on the desktop, but then had to search a bit to find them in order to run the soju file in terminal.

Again, thank you!

whats yer firmware fella?
8th January 2014, 03:38 AM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by painnpleasure

whats yer firmware fella?

It was 3.17.502.3 but since I achieved s-off I am now a "converted to Google Edition" with firmware 3.62.1700.1.
8th January 2014, 01:11 PM |#5  

More
Red face
Quote:

It was 3.17.502.3 but since I achieved s-off I am now a "converted to Google Edition" with firmware 3.62.1700.1.

Ok thnx fella.im on 3.63.111.3 and having difficulties running rumrunners.ill give it another go then. I want to get to go Google edition aswel.
9th January 2014, 12:29 AM |#6  
Flag Jeddah
Thanks Meter: 13

More
sudo ./soju
I get err command not found!!
help plz should I be using the linux?
No prob I gut it
9th January 2014, 01:27 AM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by skythunder83

sudo ./soju
I get err command not found!!
help plz should I be using the linux?
No prob I gut it

Use the ls command to see what is in the directory you are in. Use the cd command to change directories. Keep searching til you find the directory where you put the soju file. Good luck.
9th January 2014, 04:32 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 103

More
Does my HTC One still have to be unlocked from HTC-Dev? Thank you in advance.
9th January 2014, 09:09 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag East Kilbride

More
Quote:

Again, thank you!

Glad to hear buddy. I also spent a considerable amount of time trying to find a solution to this and had just about given up.

Thanks for providing some additional notes on your steps too, might help someone else get theirs working too.

Sent from my One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
9th January 2014, 09:12 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag East Kilbride

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alessiomoro1994

Does my HTC One still have to be unlocked from HTC-Dev? Thank you in advance.

By whatever means, you will need to initially be rooted. Unlocking via HTC Dev was how I got root.

Ironically this also (at the time, not sure if it's changed) doesn't work in Windows 8.1 lol and I had to root my phone using my parents laptop with Windows 7 installed.

They then upgraded to 8,1 so I couldn't use it to get S-OFF later on.

Sent from my One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
10th January 2014, 09:39 PM |#11  

More
Thumbs up
I finally got s-off on my att htc one. Was pretty much trying the same thing as OP stated here, but had some difficulties with other things.

1. OP's instructions didn't work for latest ubuntu (13.10)
2. Had linux mint installed on my pc, but it was 64bit.. tried quite a bit to get it working there (adb and fastboot work), but rumrunner was not happy with 64bit
3. Finally tried it on Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS 32 bit and everything was smooth with it

One other thing to note.. I used live USB instead of installing ubuntu on my pc. had no issues, but had to use a bit older version of ubuntu and 32 bit (even tho my pc has 16Gigs of memory) [COLOR="Silver"]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)