FORUMS

[Q] Hard Bricked Nexus 7 (2013)

10 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Blockerville, Junior Member on 28th November 2013, 05:27 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I am an idiot.

Today I decided I would play around with some different ROMs. All was going well. I was becoming adept at flashing, booting, restoring, repeat.

All the ROMs I had tried up to this point were 4.3. I decided to go with something different. I installed OmniRom, which went okay, other than the fact it wouldn't recognize WiFi signals.

As any modern-day geek would do, I took to Google. I found a pretty promising solution that had me flash a firmware zip. This the point at which I made my mistake. As I should have remembered, firmware is DEVICE SPECIFIC. I did not bother to look at what device it was for as I had included "2013 Nexus 7" in my Google search.

The zip I flashed was for the Oppo Find 5. Facepalm.

My device will now not boot at all. I have tried charging for an hour or two from a computer, then a wall charger. The computer does not recognize the device. I've tried every possible button combination to get into recovery, fastboot, normal boot, etc. None have worked.

Anyone have any ideas?
28th November 2013, 09:01 PM |#2  
Flag Växjö
Thanks Meter: 341

More
What kind of firmware was it? Bootloader?

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk 4
29th November 2013, 04:25 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muikkuman

What kind of firmware was it? Bootloader?

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk 4

It was just firmware to help with network, called "modem-4.1.zip"
29th November 2013, 04:43 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockerville

I am an idiot.

Today I decided I would play around with some different ROMs. All was going well. I was becoming adept at flashing, booting, restoring, repeat.

All the ROMs I had tried up to this point were 4.3. I decided to go with something different. I installed OmniRom, which went okay, other than the fact it wouldn't recognize WiFi signals.

As any modern-day geek would do, I took to Google. I found a pretty promising solution that had me flash a firmware zip. This the point at which I made my mistake. As I should have remembered, firmware is DEVICE SPECIFIC. I did not bother to look at what device it was for as I had included "2013 Nexus 7" in my Google search.

The zip I flashed was for the Oppo Find 5. Facepalm.

My device will now not boot at all. I have tried charging for an hour or two from a computer, then a wall charger. The computer does not recognize the device. I've tried every possible button combination to get into recovery, fastboot, normal boot, etc. None have worked.

Anyone have any ideas?

I was able to experience a HARD BRICK myself but it was because I flashed a 4.3.1 update on top of a 4.3 once which led me to go into the TWRP recovery and delete my SYSTEM AND INTERNAL STORAGE by accident.

Don't fret my friend. If you're experiencing the supposed HARD BRICK I experienced before (wherein it does not turn on at all), all you have to do is this:

- download the WugFresh N7 toolkit and look for a thread/try to discover how to unbrick your device using that. (they have a specific option for that actually; THANK YOU WUGFRESH)
- download the necessary factory image of your choice and binaries from this page (courtesy of google https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images)

- You will see a button for at the WugFresh toolkit with instructions on how to unbrick your thing.

Hit thanks if this helps and if you have any more questions, feel free to reply
The Following User Says Thank You to MartCLEANRFr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MartCLEANRFr Ad-Free
29th November 2013, 04:52 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartCLEANRFr

I was able to experience a HARD BRICK myself but it was because I flashed a 4.3.1 update on top of a 4.3 once which led me to go into the TWRP recovery and delete my SYSTEM AND INTERNAL STORAGE by accident.

Don't fret my friend. If you're experiencing the supposed HARD BRICK I experienced before (wherein it does not turn on at all), all you have to do is this:

- download the WugFresh N7 toolkit and look for a thread/try to discover how to unbrick your device using that. (they have a specific option for that actually; THANK YOU WUGFRESH)
- download the necessary factory image of your choice and binaries from this page

- You will see a button for at the WugFresh toolkit with instructions on how to unbrick your thing.

Hit thanks if this helps and if you have any more questions, feel free to reply

There's an option for a soft-bricked device (will turn on, just stuck in a bootloop). However, I don't see the option for a hard-bricked device.

Anyway, I'll try the soft-bricked solution and see if that works.

EDIT: Yep, doesn't seem to be working. It requires the tablet to be in Fastboot mode, which I cannot get into, because the tablet will not boot at all.

Which option did you use to unbrick your tablet?
1st December 2013, 07:07 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
Still no luck. Any ideas?
2nd December 2013, 04:34 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 160

More
Did you try to start into bootloader ?
Nexus off, press volume buttons and power simultaneously.
2nd December 2013, 04:51 PM |#8  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapocompris

Did you try to start into bootloader ?
Nexus off, press volume buttons and power simultaneously.

Yes, I tried that multiple times.
2nd December 2013, 05:57 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 160

More
You could try to download the factory image (https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images), extract the files into the adb platform-tools folder, open a command window and run flash-all.bat
2nd December 2013, 09:05 PM |#10  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

You could try to download the factory image (https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images), extract the files into the adb platform-tools folder, open a command window and run flash-all.bat

I will try that. However I do not think it will work, considering the tablet will not boot, so adb will probably not work.

But it's worth a try.
3rd December 2013, 02:33 AM |#11  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

Yeah doesn't work. adb doesn't see the Nexus.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)