[ROM] Lenovo P780 Pre-rooted Official ROMs for Flash Tool with TWRP

Search This thread

satanduck

Apr 10, 2010
Petaling Jaya
DISCLAIMER : What you do with the content of this thread is your own responsibility.

WARNING : Tested only with the 4GB version of Lenovo P780

Personal Plea : Please do not PM me for every little thing. Please post your queries in this thread instead, and READ before PM me. I will ignore you if your questions are already answered here.

What are these?

These are pre-rooted Flash Tool images for Lenovo P780 4GB. They also have TWRP recovery by default. Apps installed on first boot are also removed. They can be installed from the Play Store and those included are already outdated anyway.

The Chinese version also has GApps installed as it did not originally come with GApps.

What is VIBEUI?

These are MIUI-like ROMs created by Lenovo for their later phones (phones released after our P780). They were kind enough to port them over to our P780 but as of now only available officially for Chinese base.
The one I'm sharing below is new Android 4.4.2 based VIBEUI V1.5. They are BETA QUALITY. They are rooted, with GApps and TWRP, debloated somewhat like before. They also have Chinese radios. Flash a different one in recovery that you like.

In addition to that, framework.jar was modded to have minimum number match for caller id to be 10 instead of 11 (Credit to @C3C076 from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2268120)

Note : Removing Lenovo Safe Center/SecureIT creates an annoying overlay that says "Security Problem" on our phone. That's why I left it in. You can freeze it however, the overlay won't show.

What are they good for?

These are good as backups. Or if you want to change your base from Chinese to Worldwide and/or vice versa. Or you have soft-bricked your phone. Or you just don't know which recovery works with your phone.

Why would I want to change my base ROM?

The custom ROMs you can find on the internet for the Lenovo P780 are meant for specific ROM base ONLY. For example, most of the ROMs from needrom, or Mobile Uncle forums (or even MIUI from the official website), are meant for the Chinese base. Most of the ROMs from Russian 4pda or lenovo-forum are meant for the Worldwide base. Flashing a ROM meant for the wrong base will cause your phone not to boot properly. Flashing a recovery image meant for a wrong base will also cause your phone not to boot. Flash with one of these base ROMs, then flash the ROM of your choice/specific base from TWRP. These images got you covered.

Where are they?

HERE :

Chinese version :
P780_S135_130917_rooted_twrp_gapps.7z
VIBEUI_V1.5_1419_5_DEV_P780_rooted_twrp_gapps.7z

Worldwide version :
P780_S119_130929_rooted_twrp_gapps.7z
P780_ROW_S123_131231_rooted_twrp_gapps.7z
P780_ROW_S124_140403_rooted_twrp_gapps.7z

How do I flash these to my phone?

You will need :

1. Windows PC (Windows 7 tested, may or may not work with others)
  2. Smart Phone Flash Tool (get it here)
  3. Smart Phone Flash Tool USB Drivers (get it here)
  4. A good quality micro USB cable and a working USB port on your Windows PC

Step by step guide :
  1. If your phone is not already soft bricked, back up whatever you want. External SD card is fine. If your phone is soft-brick then say goodbye to your data and skip this step.
  2. Uncompress all the files you downloaded from this thread into a directory where you can remember. Including the ROMs.
  3. Shutdown your phone if its not in a bootloop. If it is skip this step.
  4. Open "Device Manager" on your Windows PC.
  5. Plug in your phone through the micro USB cable. A device will show up for a few seconds in "Device Manager". After that, it will disappear again!
  6. Recognize the device tree where it appeared, and wait for it as you unplug and plug in your phone again (if bootloop, its automatic!)
  7. Catch it with a right click as it appears! Then choose "Update Drivers" and pick the directory where you uncompressed the drivers you downloaded above. Its ok if after catching it the device disconnects. You only need to install the drivers now.
  8. Assuming the drivers are correctly installed, run the Smart Phone Flash Tool.
  9. Click on scatter-loading and choose the scatter file "MT6589_Android_scatter_emmc.txt" of the ROM you want to flash.
  10. Make sure the checkbox "DL DA All With Check Sum" is CHECKED
  11. Click on "Firmware->Upgrade" button.
  12. Plug in your powered down phone via the USB cable again. See it flash.
  13. When a big green circle appears on the screen, your are done!

How do I flash a custom ROM after this?

First of all, always allow your phone to boot up at least ONCE after a fresh flash. Otherwise flashing from custom recovery will fail by some partition errors.

After that, shutdown your phone, then power it up with both up and down volume button press, releasing the power button after the screen lights up. That is TWRP. Happy flashing!

My signal has become very bad after switching base!

According to some Russian forum, phones from China has a different GSM module, and switching base may affect the signal strength since you flash also the modem image in the process.

Lucky for us, the Russians have us covered. Pick a modem of your choice and try them until you find one that works well for you:

Прошивка радиомодуля P780

Last edited:

satanduck

Apr 10, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Good to see a topic for Lenovo P780 in the XDA :) So I use the SLXROM from the Russian forum nearly perfect. Do you know it?

Actually that's the one I was using before I switched to the one based on JiaoYu G4 by "savyol". Reason being my iPega BT controller doesn't work on SLXROM (but that's fair because it didn't work on Lenovo stock either) but it worked in this ROM (and also MIUI).

However I could be switching back soon since the newer release of this they cranked up the auto brightness to an eye piercing level when in complete darkness and i hate it!

Reactions: sarang47

conny005

Dec 19, 2008
mangalia
Actually that's the one I was using before I switched to the one based on JiaoYu G4 by "savyol". Reason being my iPega BT controller doesn't work on SLXROM (but that's fair because it didn't work on Lenovo stock either) but it worked in this ROM (and also MIUI).

However I could be switching back soon since the newer release of this they cranked up the auto brightness to an eye piercing level when in complete darkness and i hate it!

Hi, JiaoYu G4 is for chinese version? Where do you downloaded? How do i know if my phone is chinese or world version? I bought my phone with LiFe_v05... Thanks.

satanduck

Apr 10, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hi, JiaoYu G4 is for chinese version? Where do you downloaded? How do i know if my phone is chinese or world version? I bought my phone with LiFe_v05... Thanks.

The JiaYu ROM i was testing is for ROW, I found it here:

http://forum.china-iphone.ru/post1223015.html#p1223015

If your phone is running LiFe it should be ROW version. Just flash in recovery should do.

Heck, if you screw up, reflash it again in Flash_Tool, hence the purpose of me sharing the above ROMs

Reactions: sarang47

conny005

Dec 19, 2008
mangalia
The JiaYu ROM i was testing is for ROW, I found it here:

http://forum.china-iphone.ru/post1223015.html#p1223015

If your phone is running LiFe it should be ROW version. Just flash in recovery should do.

Heck, if you screw up, reflash it again in Flash_Tool, hence the purpose of me sharing the above ROMs

But how can i be shore ? Is there any aplications or somethnig to tell me. I am afraid to do samething with out be shore. I want to mention that when i press up button and power connected on the laptop , on phone screen apears something in chinese... Thanks in advance and sorry for my english.

satanduck

Apr 10, 2010
Petaling Jaya
But how can i be shore ? Is there any aplications or somethnig to tell me. I am afraid to do samething with out be shore. I want to mention that when i press up button and power connected on the laptop , on phone screen apears something in chinese... Thanks in advance and sorry for my english.

If you have official firmware, it can be determined by the number, i.e. S110, S116, S119 (ROW), and S125, S129, S135 (Chinese)

You have a custom ROM installed. This is probably not there, or changed by the ROM creator.

By experience LiFe is based on ROW. Unless somebody ported over to Chinese base and flashed it on your phone.

The point of this thread is to share those bases. So that you can decide and switch base. So that it DOESN'T MATTER what base you are CURRENTLY on, just change to the one needed by your intended custom ROM.

PS : The JiaYu ROM has EBR included in it (partition table) so in theory it should work on either base

Last edited:

conny005

Dec 19, 2008
mangalia
If you have official firmware, it can be determined by the number, i.e. S110, S116, S119 (ROW), and S125, S129, S135 (Chinese)

You have a custom ROM installed. This is probably not there, or changed by the ROM creator.

By experience LiFe is based on ROW. Unless somebody ported over to Chinese base and flashed it on your phone.

The point of this thread is to share those bases. So that you can decide and switch base. So that it DOESN'T MATTER what base you are CURRENTLY on, just change to the one needed by your intended custom ROM.

PS : The JiaYu ROM has EBR included in it (partition table) so in theory it should work on either base
This is the rom you refered to?....Just download, put on sd card, wipe every thing and flash the rom? Thanks.
PS JiaYu rom have english language?

Last edited:

fx_viper

Nov 21, 2007
Saint Saulve
Hi Satanduck,
thanks for the roms and procedure. Worked flawlessly !

However, I can't seem to find the "developer options" in the settings ? Is it simply not there or hiding some place else ?

Thanks!

Last edited:

ybres

Feb 1, 2012
Brasov
Can somebody please confirm if this ROW version has multilingual support? I am interested in Romanian.

Thank you.

fx_viper

Nov 21, 2007
Saint Saulve
No Romanian...

Just checked, no Romanian...
Can somebody please confirm if this ROW version has multilingual support? I am interested in Romanian.

Thank you.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Hey again Satanduck,

I'm having very bad reception on one of my sim cards...

Any suggestions where to download just basebands ?
Also any good tutorial to follow to just change basebands ?

Many thanks!

Reactions: ybres

amish4u1983

Account currently disabled
Jan 30, 2007
GB
this is standard "feature" of Android these days, hiding developer stuff from innocent users... go to about phone, keep tapping on build number until it appears!

Sent from my Lenovo P780 using Tapatalk

@satanduck - I have bought the Lenovo P780 and facing an unusual problem. I am not able to move the Apps from the App Drawer to the Home Screens of Lenovo Launcher at all. When I long press the app icon in App Drawer, they dance with a X symbol in each user app but when I drag it up or down, I don't see an Option to move to Home or the Home Screen? The phone is not rooted yet.

your advice on this would be much appreciated.:confused:

conny005

Dec 19, 2008
mangalia
@satanduck - I have bought the Lenovo P780 and facing an unusual problem. I am not able to move the Apps from the App Drawer to the Home Screens of Lenovo Launcher at all. When I long press the app icon in App Drawer, they dance with a X symbol in each user app but when I drag it up or down, I don't see an Option to move to Home or the Home Screen? The phone is not rooted yet.

your advice on this would be much appreciated.:confused:
Select the app, and drag down on wich screen you want, they are small on the bottom, or you can press menu, add app., you can select one or more..

Reactions: amish4u1983

fx_viper

Nov 21, 2007
Saint Saulve
It was a headscratcher for me too!

What works for me :

1. Long press on any of the homescreens (empty space)
2. A menu appears at the bottom with several tabs, by default it is on "Add"
3. Select what you want to add to the homescreen (multiple select possible), Apps, shortcuts, folders, widgets, etc...

Select the app, and drag down on wich screen you want, they are small on the bottom, or you can press menu, add app., you can select one or more..

Reactions: amish4u1983

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DISCLAIMER : What you do with the content of this thread is your own responsibility.

WARNING : Tested only with the 4GB version of Lenovo P780

Personal Plea : Please do not PM me for every little thing. Please post your queries in this thread instead, and READ before PM me. I will ignore you if your questions are already answered here.

What are these?

These are pre-rooted Flash Tool images for Lenovo P780 4GB. They also have TWRP recovery by default. Apps installed on first boot are also removed. They can be installed from the Play Store and those included are already outdated anyway.

The Chinese version also has GApps installed as it did not originally come with GApps.

What is VIBEUI?

These are MIUI-like ROMs created by Lenovo for their later phones (phones released after our P780). They were kind enough to port them over to our P780 but as of now only available officially for Chinese base.
    The one I'm sharing below is new Android 4.4.2 based VIBEUI V1.5. They are BETA QUALITY. They are rooted, with GApps and TWRP, debloated somewhat like before. They also have Chinese radios. Flash a different one in recovery that you like.

In addition to that, framework.jar was modded to have minimum number match for caller id to be 10 instead of 11 (Credit to @C3C076 from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2268120)

Note : Removing Lenovo Safe Center/SecureIT creates an annoying overlay that says "Security Problem" on our phone. That's why I left it in. You can freeze it however, the overlay won't show.

What are they good for?

These are good as backups. Or if you want to change your base from Chinese to Worldwide and/or vice versa. Or you have soft-bricked your phone. Or you just don't know which recovery works with your phone.

Why would I want to change my base ROM?

The custom ROMs you can find on the internet for the Lenovo P780 are meant for specific ROM base ONLY. For example, most of the ROMs from needrom, or Mobile Uncle forums (or even MIUI from the official website), are meant for the Chinese base. Most of the ROMs from Russian 4pda or lenovo-forum are meant for the Worldwide base. Flashing a ROM meant for the wrong base will cause your phone not to boot properly. Flashing a recovery image meant for a wrong base will also cause your phone not to boot. Flash with one of these base ROMs, then flash the ROM of your choice/specific base from TWRP. These images got you covered.

Where are they?

HERE :

Chinese version :
    P780_S135_130917_rooted_twrp_gapps.7z
    VIBEUI_V1.5_1419_5_DEV_P780_rooted_twrp_gapps.7z

Worldwide version :
    P780_S119_130929_rooted_twrp_gapps.7z
    P780_ROW_S123_131231_rooted_twrp_gapps.7z
    P780_ROW_S124_140403_rooted_twrp_gapps.7z

How do I flash these to my phone?

You will need :

1. Windows PC (Windows 7 tested, may or may not work with others)
    2. Smart Phone Flash Tool (get it here)
    3. Smart Phone Flash Tool USB Drivers (get it here)
    4. A good quality micro USB cable and a working USB port on your Windows PC

Step by step guide :
    1. If your phone is not already soft bricked, back up whatever you want. External SD card is fine. If your phone is soft-brick then say goodbye to your data and skip this step.
    2. Uncompress all the files you downloaded from this thread into a directory where you can remember. Including the ROMs.
    3. Shutdown your phone if its not in a bootloop. If it is skip this step.
    4. Open "Device Manager" on your Windows PC.
    5. Plug in your phone through the micro USB cable. A device will show up for a few seconds in "Device Manager". After that, it will disappear again!
    6. Recognize the device tree where it appeared, and wait for it as you unplug and plug in your phone again (if bootloop, its automatic!)
    7. Catch it with a right click as it appears! Then choose "Update Drivers" and pick the directory where you uncompressed the drivers you downloaded above. Its ok if after catching it the device disconnects. You only need to install the drivers now.
    8. Assuming the drivers are correctly installed, run the Smart Phone Flash Tool.
    9. Click on scatter-loading and choose the scatter file "MT6589_Android_scatter_emmc.txt" of the ROM you want to flash.
    10. Make sure the checkbox "DL DA All With Check Sum" is CHECKED
    11. Click on "Firmware->Upgrade" button.
    12. Plug in your powered down phone via the USB cable again. See it flash.
    13. When a big green circle appears on the screen, your are done!

How do I flash a custom ROM after this?

First of all, always allow your phone to boot up at least ONCE after a fresh flash. Otherwise flashing from custom recovery will fail by some partition errors.

After that, shutdown your phone, then power it up with both up and down volume button press, releasing the power button after the screen lights up. That is TWRP. Happy flashing!

My signal has become very bad after switching base!

According to some Russian forum, phones from China has a different GSM module, and switching base may affect the signal strength since you flash also the modem image in the process.

Lucky for us, the Russians have us covered. Pick a modem of your choice and try them until you find one that works well for you:

Прошивка радиомодуля P780
    Hi Satanduck,

Got a pop-up saying update available, donwloaded it, clicked OK to update from within System upgrade menu, but the phone reboots and just goes into TWRP.
    I tried doing a manual install from TWRP, update.zip was in "googleota" folder, but it gives error and does not install. Tried clearing cache before install, with and without zip check, no success...:confused:

Any ideas ?

You need stock recovery to flash OTA.

If you want to get back stock recovery, I can't remember if i deleted it or simply renamed it. It should be somewhere in /system/etc or somewhere thereabout, a file named "recovery-from-boot.p".

In the stock firmware (in most Androids I believe) everytime you boot your phone, it will check if recovery partition is there and correct. If not it will flash it again. this "recovery-from-boot.p" is the stock recovery image. I had to prevent this from happening since we want custom recovery, so i either deleted it or renamed it.

If you find a file "recovery-from-boot.p.disabled" just rename it back to original name and reboot.
    press both volume buttons when turning on, the first screen is NOT recovery, seems like some sort engineering mode in Chinese. don't choose the mmc one it wipes.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

This is the rom you refered to?! https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5l5EfGG-gaad2VaX29NVTFrZWM/edit Just download, put on sd card, wipe every thing and flash the rom? Thanks.
    PS JiaYu rom have english language?

I think the ROM maker requested people do not share his ROM on other forums.

When in doubt, use google translate.