FORUMS

Moto G won't power on or charge.

356 posts
Thanks Meter: 86

By randomhkkid, Senior Member on 4th December 2013, 01:03 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
My friend just got the Moto G, he opened the box and plugged it in. After about 10 minutes he came back and noticed that there was no charging light or any indication that the phone was charging. I have tried it on numerous different cables and chargers yet still nothing. Any suggestions or should I just advise and RMA because of DOA? I do have access to the phone if anyone has ideas.

[Edit: The phone is locked to Tesco mobile, this shouldn't make a difference should it?]

Edit 2: The problem was solved by leaving the phone for a day and plugging it in the next day.
4th December 2013, 01:40 PM |#2  
Inactive Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 9,417

Donate to Me
More
I think you need to install the drivers for the phone before it will charge. Some leads won't work, stick with the official one.
4th December 2013, 01:54 PM |#3  
The phone should charge from a wall charger though should it not?
4th December 2013, 02:00 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomhkkid

The phone should charge from a wall charger though should it not?

Of course. I use my old HTC wall charger with my Moto G all the time. What's the maximum current output of the wall charger you're using? I've read that the Moto G requires at least 500mA and can draw up to 1500mA (after which it's limited to this value).
4th December 2013, 02:02 PM |#5  
Yeah that's what I thought. I've tried his phone on my kindle and HTC charger (1 & 1.2amp), still nothing.
4th December 2013, 02:52 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:

Yeah that's what I thought. I've tried his phone on my kindle and HTC charger (1 & 1.2amp), still nothing.

Sounds like it's a brick. I reckon your friend should return it and get another (it's worth it - it's such a great phone!)
4th December 2013, 06:18 PM |#7  
Flag Belem
Thanks Meter: 360

Donate to Me
More
Have you tried on the USB computers port? Btw the charger for this phone should be as powerful as 750Mah 5,1V 0,20A.
5th December 2013, 10:35 AM |#8  
Flag Anywhere with GSM signal
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Info 2
Quote:

My friend just got the Moto G, he opened the box and plugged it in. After about 10 minutes he came back and noticed that there was no charging light or any indication that the phone was charging. I have tried it on numerous different cables and chargers yet still nothing. Any suggestions or should I just advise and RMA because of DOA? I do have access to the phone if anyone has ideas.

[Edit: The phone is locked to Tesco mobile, this shouldn't make a difference should it?]

Try charge it from wallcharger first (any micro USB charger will do). But any phone should have at least 20% of battery...
5th December 2013, 10:38 AM |#9  
Flag Portsmouth
Thanks Meter: 1,813

More
RMA time.
5th December 2013, 02:39 PM |#10  
Quote:

Just a hunch from the FAR FAR LEFT... while plugged into a wall charger, plug in a head phone. See what happens. No guarantees but I've seen weird things happening with Google phones.
5th December 2013, 04:10 PM |#11  
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxqas

Just a hunch from the FAR FAR LEFT... while plugged into a wall charger, plug in a head phone. See what happens. No guarantees but I've seen weird things happening with Google phones.

Mysteriously after he left the phone for a day, then plugged the power in the LED came on and it started up. Strange?! I'll try to get more details about exactly what he did.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)