FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[KERNEL][Nook HD+][cm-10.2] fix 'twitchy' touchscreen sensitivity

282 posts
Thanks Meter: 936

By drmarble, Senior Member on 9th December 2013, 09:03 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
These two kernels decrease the sensitivity of the touchscreen to small movements. This solves the problem of the overly sensitive right hand side of the screen on the HD+. It is made by applying my gerrit patch: http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/54476/ "Add touch fuzz to improve ovation sensitivity." Fuzz is actually the official Android/Google term for this. I submitted this on November 23rd but nobody has reviewed it. (Am I the only home brewer?) There are no other modifications to the kernel, except enabling fstrim by reverting the disable fstrim patch for the fstrim enabled kernel.
I hope that this helps those of you who also find page turning and item clicking difficult. Small motions (less than 3 xaxis and 5 yaxis pixels) are not interpreted as a moving touch but as a stationary one. Touches should register as touches rather than drags.

Apply these using your favorite recovery. I take no responsibility for any damage to your NookHD+ or family pets. These should be applicable to any recent cm-10.2 build (since November 15th). If the build is not current then there may be wifi or other problems.
If folks like this change, I will whine to the powers that be to get it merged. I think that verygreen has been very busy with work lately.

Edit:
I have made more kernels with different fuzz values for x and y. For you information, x is the short screen dimension and y is the long screen dimension (B&N decided this for us). Larger numbers are less sensitive to touch motion. They make screen taps more stable but can make drawing jagged. Values range from 3 to 8. When a "best" set of values is determined, that is what I will submit as a patch to cyanogenmod.
Following are the md5 sums, file names and links, sorry about the formatting. This doesn't seem to like tabs.

Thanks for testing the different values. I hope this helps others with the twitchy touchscreens on the HD+.

These have been deleted because they don't work with current builds. The 3x5 fuzz patch is included in all builds now. Thanks for testing. Sorry to those who prefered other sizes.
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to drmarble For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift drmarble Ad-Free

9th December 2013, 10:40 PM |#2  
Flag Salem
Thanks Meter: 960

Donate to Me
More
Definitely going to try the Trim kernel, will report back. Thank you for the kernel!

Any oc options at all? Any and in the future if not?

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk 4
9th December 2013, 10:46 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Would try, but download not working?

Edit. Something about Dolphin browser. Worked fine on Chrome. Trim works too.
Thank you.
9th December 2013, 11:14 PM |#4  
Flag Salem

Donate to Me
More
Worked for me, flashed fine (I believe) what is the kernel name under settings > about tablet so I can verify it did flash?

9th December 2013, 11:19 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Downloads work for me. They open up a box.com window ready for downloading. 16 people have downloaded so far. I make them open to anyone.
I have tried to add overclocking but TI really locked things down to 1.5. I't sure it can be done but it isn't as easy as on ealrlier omap processors. I'd rather get 16 bit color working for the increased speed. That huge screen takes a lot of data at 24 bits. Now, I am trying to get last_kmsg working and then debugging cm11.0.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to drmarble For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift drmarble Ad-Free
10th December 2013, 12:47 AM |#6  
Flag Salem

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarble

Downloads work for me. They open up a box.com window ready for downloading. 16 people have downloaded so far. I make them open to anyone.
I have tried to add overclocking but TI really locked things down to 1.5. I't sure it can be done but it isn't as easy as on ealrlier omap processors. I'd rather get 16 bit color working for the increased speed. That huge screen takes a lot of data at 24 bits. Now, I am trying to get last_kmsg working and then debugging cm11.0.

Well I'm eagerly awaiting what you produce. Been pining for a kernel for this since I got it! Thank you for your work this far. No major flub ups so far and it does seem to help the hold jitter, not a whole lot though but it is noticeable.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
10th December 2013, 12:59 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
I can make the touch hold even less jittery if it is wanted. I tested fuzz values from 2 to 25 and found these values of 3 and 5 worked best. The jittering was low enough that I can turn pages while reading, it sometimes takes a couple taps but is much better. If I make the values larger I can see the blockiness in a drawing program but that is only important to my granddaughter. I opted for the drawing program level. I can set it higher (like 4 and 8). Maybe I'll build up a family of different values and we can figure out the best.
Anyway, thanks for testing. I'm glad it works.
10th December 2013, 01:10 AM |#8  
Flag Salem

Donate to Me
More
I did open up a drawing.app to test that as well and it did seem a touch more crazy, but I was using a Jot pro so I thought it was just that.

I would test multiple releases to see which one felt best, but I don't know how much work that is to recompile several kernels so I won't ask.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
10th December 2013, 04:35 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
I added 8 kernels with md5 checksums to the OP. They have different fuzz values so we can figure out what works best for most people. I liked 3x5 with fstrim (live dangerously). Others might prefer the higher, more stable values. When a consensus is reached I will try to get those values pushed to the nightlies.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drmarble For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift drmarble Ad-Free
10th December 2013, 05:21 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 82

More
I like 8x8 the most. Thank you so much for this fix.

10th December 2013, 09:51 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
This is what I've been looking for! Nook is perfectly responsive now. (finally!) I'm using the 3x5, FYI. Thank you.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
kernel, nook hd+

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)