Post Reply Email Thread
15th December 2013, 08:23 PM |#21  
OP Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,020

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by New8killer

Any idea if mirrroring will be supported ever?

What's been seen from the SDK, as well as what's in the UX design guide, Yes, but only for OEM manufacturers - not for individual developers.

This makes some sense to me, as screen mirroring could be a feature that is easily used for spyware.

18th December 2013, 08:06 AM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Wink
You can go way beyond the limitations even with an unrooted device, if you have a computer with Chrome browser..

I can't post any links here since I'm new, but search YouTube for: "Chromecast tricks, hak5"..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pm709 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pm709 Ad-Free
19th December 2013, 03:15 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Surround sound on chromecast
I have gotten a Chromecast, and hooked it to my TV.. but it is not outputting a surround signal,it seems..Does anyone, know if and how it would be possible to hook the chromecast up so that , when streaming from utube or HBO go, netflix, I could get a surround signal to my surround sound processor? Hooking it into the tv hdmi port seems to not work..
19th December 2013, 04:03 PM |#24  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojolive

I have gotten a Chromecast, and hooked it to my TV.. but it is not outputting a surround signal,it seems..Does anyone, know if and how it would be possible to hook the chromecast up so that , when streaming from utube or HBO go, netflix, I could get a surround signal to my surround sound processor? Hooking it into the tv hdmi port seems to not work..

Exactly what do you have connected to what and how?

If your TV and surround processor support HDMI-ARC (Audio Return Channel) then 5.1 content should pass over.

If one or both of the two do not support ARC, then you will need to connect your TV's digital audio output (usually optical) to your surround processor.
The Following User Says Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bhiga Ad-Free
19th December 2013, 04:36 PM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

Exactly what do you have connected to what and how?

If your TV and surround processor support HDMI-ARC (Audio Return Channel) then 5.1 content should pass over.

If one or both of the two do not support ARC, then you will need to connect your TV's digital audio output (usually optical) to your surround processor.

going to try that later tonight.. Thank you!
21st December 2013, 06:24 PM |#26  
Thanks Meter: 374

More
Here is a little diagram of how ARC works and how you have to d it if ARC is not supported on either the TV or Amplifier..

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx

Note only devices that support HDMI 1.4 can actually support HDMI-ARC and in most cases it will be labeled as an ARC port on the TV side.
You MUST use that ARC Port to connect the Amp to the TV in order for it to work.The other ports on a TV may not support ARC as the intention is when you move to one of those inputs it triggers the Amp to switch to using the ARC input for it's TV audio via HEC.

There will probably also be some settings that need to be set properly on the TV side to make sure ARC is used. Probably under the Audio settings but could be under the Input and HDMI control setting depending on where the Manufacturer thought they belonged.

As for the Amplifier side there may or may not be a labeled port since there is usually only ONE output HDMI port on the amp.
But there may be a setting for the TV input of your Amplifier to set where the Amp gets the TV audio from. Usually two choices either Optical or HDMI (may say ARC), but in some Amps there may be an Analog option as well. If you don't have these settings then it's a good bet your Amp does not support ARC. You will however see an input that is Optical only. That is where you plug the TV audio out to the Amp.

If both the TV and amp support HEC then when you select TV on the amp remote (or change to any input of the TV that is not coming from the amp) There should be some indication of what input it changes the AMP to, to get the TV audio. If you get Audio then your wired correctly and any Surround coming from the CCast should get passed to your Amp.
If Your not getting audio, check the setting on the amp TV input to see if it is set to ARC and if there are none then you need to use the Optical cable.

HDMI 1.4 wasn't released until 2009 and Products that supported it weren't seen until late that year.
So if your Equipment is older than 2009/2010 then chances are likely you can't use ARC.

HDMI 1.3 (that has full CEC Commands) was released in 2006
If you were an Early HDTV adopter chances are very likely your TV only supports HDMI 1.2 or less meaning no CEC and no ARC.
25th December 2013, 08:48 PM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
I ow an iPad and bought a plug in for it so I can connect an HDMI cable to it. Well, when I travel I always forget a HDMI cable.

Now that I have a Nexus 5, how does Chromecast work? Do I need a certain app on my phone, or does any video app support Chromecast? I'd like to be able to add videos to my phone, and put them in the TV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
26th December 2013, 08:36 AM |#28  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus

I ow an iPad and bought a plug in for it so I can connect an HDMI cable to it. Well, when I travel I always forget a HDMI cable.

Now that I have a Nexus 5, how does Chromecast work? Do I need a certain app on my phone, or does any video app support Chromecast? I'd like to be able to add videos to my phone, and put them in the TV.

Chromecast will work with both your iPad as well as your Nexus.
But for travel you'll want to bring your own router as hotel/free WiFi usually doesn't allow clients to see each other so your devices wouldn't be able to talk to Chromecast.

Sent from a device with no keyboard. Please forgive typos, they may not be my own.
26th December 2013, 12:09 PM |#29  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

Chromecast will work with both your iPad as well as your Nexus.
But for travel you'll want to bring your own router as hotel/free WiFi usually doesn't allow clients to see each other so your devices wouldn't be able to talk to Chromecast.

Sent from a device with no keyboard. Please forgive typos, they may not be my own.

I always pay for my WiFi and never had an issue with devices seeing each other. But, thank you for the information.
28th December 2013, 05:15 PM |#30  
Thanks Meter: 374

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus

I always pay for my WiFi and never had an issue with devices seeing each other. But, thank you for the information.

Hotel may have issues aside from AP isolation to mess with you...
Some use Certificate Auth and require you to go to a web page to accept terms before it will allow you to connect to the net.

Now there may actually be a way around it by casting a tab to the CCast (if you can connect at all) and maybe that will work but it will vary from hotel to hotel and I haven't had a lot of chances to find out what all the limitations might be.
28th December 2013, 05:52 PM |#31  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx

Hotel may have issues aside from AP isolation to mess with you...
Some use Certificate Auth and require you to go to a web page to accept terms before it will allow you to connect to the net.

Now there may actually be a way around it by casting a tab to the CCast (if you can connect at all) and maybe that will work but it will vary from hotel to hotel and I haven't had a lot of chances to find out what all the limitations might be.

OK thank you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
chromecast, faq

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)