Ok, where is everyone?

Search This thread

TheFlyingPig

Mar 25, 2011
Pigsty, NJ
With Jellybean based ROM installed, this tablet is working almost as well as the flashy tablets out there today.
Did everyone just leave their gtab in the basement to collect dust?

taurusgd

Apr 28, 2011
Jelly Bean on Gtab

With Jellybean based ROM installed, this tablet is working almost as well as the flashy tablets out there today.
Did everyone just leave their gtab in the basement to collect dust?

I installed drh's jelly bean 4.2 beta which I thought worked quite well and faster than their 4.1. Only problem is after charging I could not get it back on until the battery was drained. I am hoping installing wakelocker will solve this issue. Did you install a cwm version?

goog64

Feb 2, 2011
Mine works fine with VeganTAB. I've tried some other ROMs but always gone back to Vegan.

doctorisin

Jan 4, 2011
I have the DRH Jellybean ROM loaded as well. Keeps the kids' hands off of my transformer. But, I have to say, the gtab has been a really nice device and it works to play movies on road trips, browse the web, etc. Really happy for the support of the DEVs on the site for making the purchase worthwhile (I still get heartburn thinking about that Tap 'n Tap UI, LOL). It's a clunky tablet, and now it's got a hole drilled in the back cover, but it's a long way from retirement, and the battery life is still outstanding. Thanks again all!

gallasm

Dec 6, 2008
Meh

I don't know if I'm in the minority but I've never had any luck with my gTab. From day one, the stock ROM sucked so I rooted. Bounced around from ROM to ROM but never found one that was stable enough to use as a daily driver. It's sat in a drawer for the last couple years and I just dusted it off yesterday to see if any of the ROMs that have come out lately would work better. Tried DRH JB beta - slow and apps crash, tried SmootherBean and it's the same story. I love tinkering with my Android devices but typically I can get an end result that's better than what I started with. Not so much with the gTab. All I want is a reliable ROM and so far I'm convinced that it doesn't exist for this POS tablet. Ugh.

Squeakybunny

Aug 20, 2011
Peru_Indiana
Mine is sitting on the shelf since the battery turned into a balloon and popped the back cover off.

Sent from my SM-T210R using XDA Free mobile app

tobalaz

Jul 17, 2012
Norton
Still running SmOoTher_BeAn_4.1.2 on mine. Battery is junk, gets about 10 minutes off the dock before it dies. It still runs great 99% of the time, its been a fantastic purchase and worth every penny.
Basically it sits in a dock 24/7 and I use it for Netflix/ HBO Go/ MX Player movies. I was using it for ROMs and emulators too, but the Ouya took that spot.
I still use it, its just not an everyday device like it used to be. Just kind of wish I had some type of VNC remote control app for it on my phone so I didn't have to walk over and touch it to do everything, kind of like a Chromecast.

cutterjohn

Jul 30, 2010
...just dug mine out for some reason that I forget now the other week, batt was dead... dug up the charger today, and MIGHT get around to doing something with it. (Was bootlooping or just crashing like the orig ROM did IIRC when I shelved it.)

Moved on to IIRC the original Nook Color(CM booting from usd), then picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7+(which I used for quite a while stock), then eventually the n7(2013 stock still running it). Also ended up picking up a Touchpad a while back, but I've just found the >7" tablets to be uselessly large, but have now come to the feeling that tablets are just mostly useless to begin with, especially when faced with wanting to enter detailed email/etc. with no keyboard. Too much of a PITA. (Also picked up an Archos IT43 & 32 back in the day. The 32 for media, and try at the 43(bigger than my phone at the time for a smaller tablet, but it sucked since it had gimped archos android and well was almost as bad as the stock gtab and noone cared about these, plus the 43 had horrible resistive touch(resistive touch on the 32 was pretty damned good though, as good as cap touch)).

-> picked up an i3/4GB chromebook(11" slightly bigger than those 10" tabs but feels lighter at least, upgraded SSD to 128GB dev mode crouton/trusty/xfce) which is just more generally useful when I want small and light than any tablet that I've owned. If I want just tablet function I think that the n5 is big enough(even n4 really) to fill that spot. Might use them on the odd occasion for complex PDFs but that's really the only reason I can think to bother keeping them around.

So maybe one day when I'm really bored(or snowed in and bored) I'll charge up the gtab and poke it for old time's sake.

theteju

Jul 23, 2011
Hey guys,

I must say Gtab has served well and worth the money spent. It has been an excellent learning curve as well. Learned a lot about android debugging and flashing devices with gtab only.
Sadly enough, I dropped mine with the headphone pluged in, and it hit the floor in a way that headphone connection broke. I lost sound due to this mechanical damage. :(

Any ways,, here is a crazy idea. I want to use Gtablet's touch display with Raspberry pi. Has anyone as any idea how would I accomplish this?

Let me know,

Thanks,.

gierso

Aug 13, 2010
Monterrey
Nexus 7
Nexus 7 (2013)
Hey guys,

I must say Gtab has served well and worth the money spent. It has been an excellent learning curve as well. Learned a lot about android debugging and flashing devices with gtab only.
Sadly enough, I dropped mine with the headphone pluged in, and it hit the floor in a way that headphone connection broke. I lost sound due to this mechanical damage. :(

Any ways,, here is a crazy idea. I want to use Gtablet's touch display with Raspberry pi. Has anyone as any idea how would I accomplish this?

Let me know,

Thanks,.
maybe you can solder the jack/board again to the mainboard :p

well

i would try to look up the LCD/touch IC data sheet to see the electrical diagram and see how would you connect itt or interface it with a raspberry pi

(and play from there)

i doubt its easily doable but good luck and let me know :D