No, hadn't heard about it

19 Vote(s)
27.14%

[APP] Peace of Mind+, Fairphone fork

55 posts
Thanks Meter: 69

Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

I have forked one of the app's released on GitHub by Fairphone/Kwamecorp, the Peace of Mind app. It's bascially an Airplane Mode with a timer.

Quote:

We become more conscious of our phones as our lives become increasingly connected. Would you like to disconnect, if only for a moment? Your phone will go silent and disconnect from the world: no e-mail, no status updates, no SMS and no phone calls. Choose how long you wish to disconnect (up to 12 hours).

I'm not sure if they're planning on publishing it as a standalone app (currently a system-app), so I've forked into Peace of Mind+ to make it available for other devices and for eager Fairphone owners!

Released under the Apache License version 2.0. Source code and APK are available here https://github.com/mudar/Fairphone

For Android 4.2+ devices, the app requiers Root privileges to enable the Airplane Mode. On non-rooted phones (or if SU is declined) the app enables Silent Mode instead. This is due to security changes introduced by Google in Android SDK version 17.

Attached are two screen captures and the APK.

When done, I hope to refactor the Fairphone OS launcher.

Read article on XDA's portal
Put Airplane Mode on a Schedule with Peace of Mind+ by @willverduzco

Download:
Check GitHub for the lastest version and version release history

Changelog:

versionCode=12 versionName=1.2
  • Restore sound to previous setting (bug fix)
  • RootTools updated to version 3.4

versionCode=10 versionName=1.1
  • Enhanced tablet layout
  • Fixed bug for some Android 4.3 devices

versionCode=8 versionName=1.0
  • Out of beta!
  • Improved Widget layout
  • DashClock extension added
  • Restores previous ringerMode at the end of an Airplane-mode PeaceOfMind
  • Added About dialog (in Settings)
  • Added Brazilian-Portuguese and Russian translations, and completed other translations
Click below to view complete changelog...
versionCode=6 versionName=0.9.4 beta
  • Fixed deep-sleep bug
  • Improved timer accuracy
  • Fixed videoplayback issue on some devices
versionCode=5 versionName=0.9.3 beta
  • Nightly, fixing the deep-sleep bug.
versionCode=4 versionName=0.9.2 beta
  • AirplaneMode enables SilentMode too, to avoid notifications
  • Fixed SilentMode issue (would trigger AirplaneMode on some android versions)
  • Fixed video animation playback issue
  • Fixed minor timer issue (was running an extra minute)
versionCode=3 versionName=0.9.1 beta
  • Settings to determine maximum duration (3, 6 or 12 hours) and disconnection mode (Airplane/Silent mode)
  • Fixed layout issues and optimization!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01_main_on.jpg
Views:	874
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	2542817   Click image for larger version

Name:	02_help.png
Views:	841
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	2542818   Click image for larger version

Name:	03_settings.png
Views:	751
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	2542819  
Attached Files
File Type: apk PeaceOfMind-v12.apk - [Click for QR Code] (769.0 KB, 292 views)
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mudar1488 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mudar1488 Ad-Free

17th December 2013, 10:29 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,587

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudar1488

Hi,

I have forked one of the app's released on GitHub by Fairphone/Kwamecorp, the Peace of Mind app. It's bascially an Airplane Mode with a timer.

I'm not sure if they're planning on publishing it as a standalone app (currently a system-app), so I've forked into Peace of Mind+ to make it available for other devices and for eager Fairphone owners!

Released under the Apache License version 2.0. Source code and APK are available here https://github.com/mudar/Fairphone

Attached are two screen captures and the APK.

The app is still in beta version. When done, I hope to refactor the Fairphone OS launcher.

Yes, sir, nice. That's the reason I really like open source. Just more variants, that's nice. Thank you for your fork.

I have some thoughts about the widget and the app:
  • The widget is just too big/tall. Maybe it's possible that you can reduce the used space on the screen?
  • One major bug is, that the app only switches the airplane mode on/off. I usually use WLAN at home and work with activated airplane mode. If I'm going to take a nap for 30 mins, I activate peace of mind but WLAN is still active and Mails, Hangouts (messages, voice/video calls), G+ and other messengers would. The app also does not silence incoming messages. So currently not that much peace. Would be nice, if you can make a workaround or something.
  • If users install this app, the need root. Please mention it somewhere, maybe in the thread title.
18th December 2013, 01:07 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 47

More
Nice to see you working on that!

Maybe you'd like to submit it to f-droid? That'd be great!
www.f-droid.org
18th December 2013, 02:11 PM |#4  
OP Member
Flag Montréal

More
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrelashade

Nice to see you working on that!

Maybe you'd like to submit it to f-droid? That'd be great!
www.f-droid.org

@Unrelashade I'll definitly submit the app to F-Droid when out of beta!
The Following User Says Thank You to mudar1488 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mudar1488 Ad-Free
18th December 2013, 02:31 PM |#5  
OP Member
Flag Montréal

More
Thumbs up
Thanks @benkxda for the valuable feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benkxda

The widget is just too big/tall. Maybe it's possible that you can reduce the used space on the screen?

I agree with you, upcoming enhancement

Quote:

One major bug is, that the app only switches the airplane mode on/off. I usually use WLAN at home and work with activated airplane mode. If I'm going to take a nap for 30 mins, I activate peace of mind but WLAN is still active and Mails, Hangouts (messages, voice/video calls), G+ and other messengers would. The app also does not silence incoming messages. So currently not that much peace. Would be nice, if you can make a workaround or something.

Definitly a bug, didn't even think about that case! This will be handled soon...

Quote:

If users install this app, the need root. Please mention it somewhere, maybe in the thread title.

I've edited the OP. However, root is not strictly required. For Android 4.2+ devices, the app toggles the sound (silent) mode on non-rooted phones. If SU is available, permissions are requested (to toggle airplane mode). If declined, the app falls back to toggling silent mode...

I have added the issues on GitHub https://github.com/mudar/Fairphone/issues Upcoming features will also be listed there..
20th December 2013, 04:44 PM |#6  
OP Member
Flag Montréal

More
Info 2 Upcoming version
Next week's version will have a Settings screen to control max-duration (3, 6 or 12 hours) and to toggle Airplane/Silent mode.

Your suggestions are most welcome! Either here on xda or on github https://github.com/mudar/Fairphone/issues
23rd December 2013, 11:05 PM |#7  
OP Member
Flag Montréal

More
Version 0.9.1
Here's the updated version:
- Settings to determine maximum duration (3, 6 or 12 hours) and disconnection mode (Airplane/Silent mode)
- Fixed layout issues and optimization!

Attached are the APK and a screen capture of the new Settings

The app is also available on the playstore, and the APK is available on GitHub too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03_settings.png
Views:	293
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	2471138  
Attached Files
File Type: apk PeaceOfMind-v03.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.05 MB, 30 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to mudar1488 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mudar1488 Ad-Free
26th December 2013, 04:33 AM |#8  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,587

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudar1488

Here's the updated version:
- Settings to determine maximum duration (3, 6 or 12 hours) and disconnection mode (Airplane/Silent mode)
- Fixed layout issues and optimization!

Attached are the APK and a screen capture of the new Settings

The app is also available on the playstore, and the APK is available on GitHub too.

Very nice. Installed it and switched to Google Play to get all the updates automatically.

The 3/6/12 hours steps are really nice implemented. This will save my peace during the (business) day .
I talked about the functionalities of this app and I was told, there is a further need. Switch off all connections with the airplane mode but then let the user decide whether he wants to get notification (alarm, appointments) or not. Silent mode would probably not deactivate the LED notification light. However I did not check.

At the New Year's Eve party I'll get a chance to try out a Fairphone and then I can compare the original and the improved version and also show it to others.

If you want the app translated, place a request in our app translation thread. And if you want, you can post an advertisement for your app in the Fairphone Blog, like for those who have to wait longer, so they can test at least this app/widget. Almost like a teaser. The guys from Fairphone shouldn't have anything against it, because this is the way they provide their software - open for forks
Oh yes, I put some links related to this app in the OP and we also have a app tester thread.

EDIT: GPS is still active after airplane mode. I understand, this app just enables/disables the airplane mode, but can we get some extra tweaks in the settings area, in this case to save battery? Would be nice. If you know what's on the todo list of the next version, give us an update.
Thank you and enjoy the holidays.

EDIT: This widget/app was mentioned in the article Fairphone im Kurztest (at the very bottom; German, c't magazin, 3rd Jan 2014).
The Following User Says Thank You to benkxda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift benkxda Ad-Free
9th January 2014, 06:41 PM |#9  
OP Member
Flag Montréal

More
Post Version 0.9.2
New version released, with many fixes

Changelog:
  • AirplaneMode enables SilentMode too, to avoid notifications
  • Fixed SilentMode issue (would trigger AirplaneMode on some android versions)
  • Fixed video animation playback issue
  • Fixed minor timer issue (was running an extra minute)

Attached is the new APK, also available on the playstore.

NOTE: I have reported an issue to Kwamecorp, related to the AlarmManager timer that ends the Airplane mode. If you enable PeaceOfMind for 15 minutes, then leave your phone idle (disconnected, screen off), there's no guarantee that the timer would actually be triggered, since it does not wakeup an asleep device. This means that you might not receive any calls after the 15 minutes have passed, until you wake up the device by turning the screen on.

I'm currently working on fixing what I consider a critical issue before actually testing it on Kwamecorp's original version. Sorry about this, update is coming before the end of the week!
Attached Files
File Type: apk PeaceOfMind-v04.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.07 MB, 13 views)
13th January 2014, 12:51 AM |#10  
OP Member
Flag Montréal

More
Version 0.9.3
New version released, fixing the deep-sleep bug.

There are still some minor UI glitches I'm currently working on. Will edit this post soon, but wanted to publish this before the end of the week, as promised
Attached Files
File Type: apk PeaceOfMind-v05.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.10 MB, 20 views)
13th January 2014, 03:26 PM |#11  
OP Member
Flag Montréal

More
Version 0.9.4
Changelog
  • Fixed deep-sleep bug
  • Improved timer accuracy
  • Fixed videoplayback issue on some devices

APK is attached here, update is also available on the playstore.

Next version will include widget enhancements and integration of DashClock.

For issues reporting or features suggestion, you can checkout the GitHub issues page!
Attached Files
File Type: apk PeaceOfMind-v06.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.10 MB, 16 views)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)