FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[n80xx] CyanogenMod 10.2 Dual Boot

163 posts
Thanks Meter: 205

By X-Stranger, Senior Member on 26th December 2013, 04:42 PM
Post Reply Email Thread

For anyone interested, below are the steps for getting your device dual-booting with CyanogenMod 10.2.

Why?
  • I don't want to erase native firmware and want to give a try to CyanogenMod
  • I want to have both native and CM, because I like native Samsung S-Pen apps, but want to have more fresh Android too
  • I like experimenting - it's cool!

The Idea
Our Android device has 2 boot partitions - for normal boot, and to boot into recovery. If I want to boot CyanogenMod, I need to place its boot image instead one of those boot partitions. E.g. if I want to have both native firmware and cyanogen - then obviously I need to replace recovery partition. However I can do the backup of recovery and restore it later if needed.

But, I also need to place cyanogen system and data partitions somewhere. Putting it on the external sdcard makes CM working really slow, repartitioning internal memory might be good idea, but it is not so easy and is not necessary for experimenting. Thus I've created 2 image files and put it to native data partition (mmcblk0p12) to media folder, e.g. into internal sdcard, then changed cyanogen boot image to mount those image files on boot as system and data partitions.

Prerequisites:
  • Rooted Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2012 Edition
  • 2GB of free disk space at internal sdcard
  • Recovery partition backup, because we are going to replace it with CyanogenMod boot image
  • Clear understanding of what you are doing, because you potentially can break your device

Downloads:
Steps
This manual suggests that you are going to do the recovery backup to external sdcard and has native firmware which means that recovery partition is mmcblk0p6, data partition is mmcblk0p12 and internal sdcard is /mnt/sdcard folder (otherwise you need to change the commands appropriately and might need to fix cyanogen boot image too).
Download 3 files by the links above and upload to internal sdcard of your device. Connect to your device via ADB and run ADB shell, or type the next commands in terminal emulator:
Code:
# become root
su -

# go to external sdcard to create recovery backup
cd /mnt/extSdCard
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 of=./recovery.img

# go to internal sdcard folder
cd /mnt/sdcard

# unpack partition images - each is 1Gb of disk space
gunzip ./system.img.gz
gunzip ./data.img.gz

# write CM boot image to recovery partition
dd if=./cyanogen.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6

# finish
exit
exit
Now you can reboot your device into recovery mode and see CyanogenMod booting.

Restoring native recovery:
If you got tired from CyanogenMod and/or would like to take back your recovery, please use the backup you've done before. Lets say it is placed on your external sdcard, then connect to your device via ADB and run ADB shell, or type the next commands in terminal emulator:
Code:
# become root
su -

# go to the folder with recovery backup
cd /mnt/extSdCard

# write recovery image over recovery partition
dd if=./recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6
Please let me know If I missed anything in my steps.

P.S. What I've changed in Cyanogen boot.img to make it using img files instead of partitions in form of patch: cyanogen_boot_img.patch. It is also necessary to create /host folder in initrd folder tree.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to X-Stranger For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift X-Stranger Ad-Free

27th December 2013, 07:52 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Thumbs up
wow!!
it's really hard to be done xD
i thought it will be as easy as it was on my old Galaxy S2
all what i needed to do is to restart the phone and press home to boot to second Rom

i hope it's going to be easier soon
and thank you for you efforts toward our device Development
27th December 2013, 09:31 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNsTeRmUk

wow!!
it's really hard to be done xD

Well, it is not as hard as it probably seems Download 3 files and overwrite recovery partition.
Probably I need to compose something like zip file for CWM or TWRP when I have free time... But if would be really nice if someone get it working too following current steps
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to X-Stranger For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift X-Stranger Ad-Free
29th December 2013, 02:04 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Stranger

Well, it is not as hard as it probably seems Download 3 files and overwrite recovery partition.
Probably I need to compose something like zip file for CWM or TWRP when I have free time... But if would be really nice if someone get it working too following current steps

I really Appreciate your work here brother And as it seems our device is not getting much of the attention unlike other devices

And what i meant by hard is it's possible to be done without any mistakes , but i take sometime to do so and you need a computer every time you want to change the Rom so it's not a solution for every time use .

I wish you good luck and Thank you for your support
The Following User Says Thank You to MoNsTeRmUk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MoNsTeRmUk Ad-Free
29th December 2013, 05:47 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNsTeRmUk

I really Appreciate your work here brother And as it seems our device is not getting much of the attention unlike other devices

And what i meant by hard is it's possible to be done without any mistakes , but i take sometime to do so and you need a computer every time you want to change the Rom so it's not a solution for every time use .

I wish you good luck and Thank you for your support

Thanks for kind words Actually you don't need to have the computer to change ROM, you can type commands from terminal emulator directly from Android. I'm also thinking about creating small Android app which can be installed to each ROM and will be able to switch boot partition within one click.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to X-Stranger For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift X-Stranger Ad-Free
31st December 2013, 11:25 AM |#6  
Italy
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Thanks for this superb work. Can't download last file ?
Please if can make someone flashable zip it would be great I am a noob but I want try this thanks again

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk HD
The Following User Says Thank You to swamimahesh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift swamimahesh Ad-Free
4th January 2014, 06:43 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Tablet other roms
Can I do this this with another rom
4th January 2014, 08:56 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maro_X

Can I do this this with another rom

It is possible, but your another rom must be specially modified for this.

What rom are you talking about exactly?
The Following User Says Thank You to X-Stranger For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift X-Stranger Ad-Free
9th January 2014, 08:50 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Multi-boot solution
I've tired of writing images to boot partition every time I want to switch between native firmware and Cyanogen, so decided to compose a little program that I was talking before. So let me introduce you N8xx Boot Manager!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-09-23-20-04.png
Views:	488
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	2505082 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-09-23-21-20.png
Views:	391
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	2505083 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-09-23-21-25.png
Views:	377
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	2505084 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-09-23-21-37.png
Views:	311
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	2505085Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-09-23-21-52.png
Views:	309
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	2505086

The idea:
  • You put your boot images files to some folder on your sdcard, lets say to /mnt/extSdCard/images/boot
  • And recovery boot images to /mnt/extSdCard/images/recovery
  • Now you run Boot Manager and select what you want to boot as normal boot or as recovery
  • As soon as you selected it, the application asks you if you would like to write this image to the appropriate partition (boot or recovery)
  • After successful writing it will ask you for booting from that partition, e.g. propose to reboot into your another rom or recovery
  • For sure all the settings like path where to keep images and boot/recovery partition names can be fixed appropriately to your device at the Settings tab
  • For sure the application requires root permissions, e.g. your device must be rooted. You can also check this from Settings tab

The application file: bootmanager-1.0.apk - feel free to install it to your device and use posting me bug reports

P.S. The only thing I've forgotten - the button to create native boot image file backup You still need to do it manually, sorry Hopefully in next release, if there be people interested in N8xx Boot Manager
P.P.S. Generally this program can be used for any device - just put correct images and correct boot partition names
P.P.P.S. Why N8xx and not N8xxx or N80xx? Because I've missed one symbol when typed application name in Android Studio and was too lazy to change that later
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to X-Stranger For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift X-Stranger Ad-Free
10th January 2014, 02:06 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
N80xx Boot Manager
Updated version of N80xx Boot Manager: bootmanager-1.1.apk

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-10-17-03-25.png
Views:	221
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	2506556

Changelog:
  • Fixed application name
  • Fixed images path detection when no settings were changes
  • Added "Backup boot partiton" and "Backup recovery partition" buttons

Thus, now to install CM 10.2 as dual boot you don't need to go to ADB or terminal - just upload 3 img files to your device proper locations, installl boot manager apk, create stock boot/recovery partitions backup, then select what you want to boot and boot to that rom!

P.S. Going to update first post of this thread with steps based on Boot Manager, just would be nice if someone confirm that it works.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to X-Stranger For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift X-Stranger Ad-Free
13th January 2014, 02:52 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamimahesh

Can't download last file

Re-uploaded.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
n8000 galaxy note cyanogen dualboot