This also may help if you have a USB drive or mouse and it stopped working after you upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1.
Microsoft published the update.
proof - see attachment.
THE PROBLEM IS NOW FIXED BY THIS UPDATE: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2917929 - USE IT INSTEAD OF MY FIX!
Here is my old (dirty) solution:
#include <std_disclaimer.h> /* * Your warranty is now void. * * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. */
Here are the steps:
0. Have a Linux or Windows LiveCD just in case something goes wrong
1. Download and extract files from attachment
2. Navigate to the folder corresponding to your system version (x86 = 32-bit, x64 = 64 bit)
3. Right-click franken-usb.bat and click "Run as Administrator"
5. Wait for it to finish and reboot the system. If everything went fine, you will boot your system successfully
6. Install ADB/Fastboot drivers just like on Windows 8
7. Connect your phone in Fastboot mode to your USB 2.0 port and check if it works
8. Enjoy and wait for official fix
How does it work:
It's not any kind of magic - it just replaces Windows 8.1's usbhub.sys and usbport.sys with Windows 8's ones.
Old files don't check for BOS descriptor so Fastboot can work.
Script updated - it should now actually copy the files but please double check if files were copied to C:\Windows\system32\Drivers!
Hope it helps you!