FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Root for Wacom Cintiq Companion Hybrid

1 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Sinsecond, Junior Member on 12th January 2014, 04:29 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
A month ago I sold all of my tablets and have bought the Wacom Cintiq Companion Hybrid.
Primarily verifiable need for it to work. But since I now possessed no other tablet, I quickly found that my root right for certain things missing for recreational use. To use the Sixaxis app for example.

So I wanted to ask here if maybe a developer have already dealt with it, to root the device.
Would be really happy.

sorry for my english, my best friend is google translate

regards
Alex

9th February 2014, 03:03 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
It's pretty much a Raw Android Tablet and should work with anything in the play store. No one seems to be looking in to doing anything with this tablet since it's so expensive and it's made for such a specific use. I asked questions about it for months and no one acknowledged me about it.
17th February 2014, 08:46 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinsecond

A month ago I sold all of my tablets and have bought the Wacom Cintiq Companion Hybrid.
Primarily verifiable need for it to work. But since I now possessed no other tablet, I quickly found that my root right for certain things missing for recreational use. To use the Sixaxis app for example.

So I wanted to ask here if maybe a developer have already dealt with it, to root the device.
Would be really happy.

sorry for my english, my best friend is google translate

regards
Alex

+1
Tablet malfunctioned and I lost some files. Would love to be able to use a recovery program to get them back (need root to do so).
7th May 2014, 05:42 AM |#4  
Flag Reims
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Test this https://github.com/linux-shield/shie...ster/README.md
Use adb reboot bootloader
Test unlock bootloader only
Sorry for my bad english
14th October 2014, 01:09 AM |#5  

More
Any news ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4b4l3

Test this ...
Use adb reboot bootloader
Test unlock bootloader only
Sorry for my bad english

Sorry to revive the thread but since I am considering buying one.
Did any one try to root it with success ?
23rd November 2014, 10:42 AM |#6  
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediRemi

Sorry to revive the thread but since I am considering buying one.
Did any one try to root it with success ?

I find it unlikely that anyone who owns it has tried rooting the CCH yet, Myself included. Of course, I am tempted to root it, but I wouldn't do it until I am sure I can restore everything in case it messes up. The android system recovery that comes with the tablet has no commands for the user, so even a custom recovery would be required to backup/restore. It's not exactly an easily replacable tablet, and the device is quite expensive after all. The reason I am tempted to root is not related to wacom and their tech at all, but once you have root, you end up wanting it across your devices. Unless you want root for a specific app, and unless you're ABSOLUTELY sure that app can benefit from the cintiq, I wouldn't take the risk that comes with trying to root.

That said, you will not be disappointed with the tablet without root, it really is a cintiq on the go, as well as a Tegra 4 android tablet. Really rock solid performance, excellent battery life( I actually did clock 12 hours straight on high performance), and pretty much pure android without any fancy changes.

Maybe I'll succumb and try to root someday, but that's a remote possibility. Unless I end up damaging it somehow, and replacement seems inevitable, in which case I'll try it before replacing.

This is Wacom's reply to an enquiry about rooting: http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15901
6th May 2016, 05:20 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 51

More
This is a nearly two-year-old thread, but now that I have my own CCH thanks to a bit of luck on eBay, I should report that yes, you CAN root it!

Wacom's complete negligence in updating it does have one benefit: towelroot still works due to the old January 2014-dated kernel, but you need towelroot v1 and not v3 as currently offered on towelroot.com. I figured this out when I looked up other Tegra 4-based systems and how well towelroot worked on those.

From there on, just let SuperSU update the binary, and then you're good.

I feel like this is just the beginning of figuring out how to update the CCH to a recent version of Android, since Wacom themselves have been even less than useless with properly supporting it during its lifespan and have now discontinued it with no pretense of further support. @aniruddhahar, you with me here? We both know what this thing's capable of if they'd just updated it past Jelly Bean, and with Android N on the horizon and finally baking multi-window into base AOSP, the timing couldn't be better!
6th May 2016, 06:37 AM |#8  
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 4

More
This is indeed some heartening news, thanks @NamelessFragger ! The CCH hardware checks out to run at least lollipop/marshmallow, and frankly I'd be happy to even get past Jelly Bean to KK or Lollipop. However, the problem is the role the CCH plays at work. It's easy to replace a smartphone or a tablet, but a damaged Cintiq could mean 1000-2000 USD for replacement. Having said that, I'll be trying to root it at least. But unless we get some info about the hardware switch from android mode to desktop mode, I find it doubtful that we may be able to upgrade the device while still retaining the Cintiq capabilities which are vital to any CCH artist using the device in daily production work.

Also, I cannot find links to the v1 APK of towelroot anywhere. Could you please upload it here?

I wonder if this news should also be shared on the Wacom forums...
6th May 2016, 07:46 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 51

More
@aniruddhahar: I figure that's one of the major reasons the CCH dev scene is nonexistent - the likelihood that anyone who is willing to pay well over $1,000 for one of these things depends on it working reliably and without issue to make a living. Not only would it be expensive to replace, but the downtime until replacement is a major setback to an artist's livelihood who needs it to work.

It's not a toy - it's a tool, and one that can do something that almost no other tablet computer can do nearly as well as it does.

However, while Wacom doesn't feel like handing out the source code that would reveal whatever kernel modifications they made to make the monitor mode switch work, I have a feeling that with enough effort, we could reverse-engineer their implementation. The Tegra 4 sources for other devices like the NVIDIA Shield Portable is already floating around out there, and that could be a potential launching point for an updated Android ROM, even if it might take a while before we get the monitor mode switch going. We might even have pen digitizer-related sources from Samsung's various Galaxy Note products that may also help to a limited extent, differences in digitizers aside.

There's more important things to tackle before any custom ROM efforts, however, like getting a custom recovery set up so that we can easily flash Nandroid backups and future custom ROMs.

As things currently stand, I haven't seen Wacom put out any ROM images and PC-based flashing utilities like most other Android manufacturers, so unless your idea of a recovery is hard-dumping the NAND with an eMMC reader and hard-flashing it with a known good dump if your system becomes unbootable, tread carefully.
9th June 2016, 02:39 PM |#10  

More
towelroot v1
any safe links to towelroot v1?

did you try v3 and it failed?

I am a dev... In fact, I'm working on a custom filesystem at work right now. I have a CCH and like many.. I find it difficult to look at knowing how awesome the hardware is and how Wacom abandoned it. I was doing everything with this unit... movies, video games, video conferencing, etc. I read comics, and holding the unit vertically makes for an excellent digital comic book experience.

It is, quite frankly, the best tablet experience I've ever had. And it's sitting there on Jellybean.

How close are we to pulling he trigger on a GPL violation submission? I understand they've "lost" the source?
3rd August 2016, 06:42 PM |#11  

More
bumpity bump bump
Would really like to see some progress here.

Did someone actually root the Hybrid with towelroot v1? Did we ever hear back from Wacom on getting the source?

They shut their forums down, unfortunately. This is really the only other thread on the internet discussing the cintiq hybrid. Such a shame.

-toad
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)