FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Yet another device lock application.

80 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By armstrom, Member on 31st March 2006, 10:07 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I know, I know... vijay555 just released a similar application earlier today. It seems we were working on the same thing at the same time. After discussing this with him in his thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?t=45851
I've decided to go ahead and release my own version as an alternative.

The program can (and probably should!) be mapped to a hardware button using the Buttons control panel applet. I run mine on Button 4(hold) because I never use the voice recorder. This also prevents locking the device unintentionally.

I have also added two minor features to the application that some might find useful. You can optionally put the device to sleep after it is locked (same as pressing the power button) and you can configure a program to run just before the device is locked. This is useful if you have an application that you may want to look at frequently without unlocking the device. (Contacts, Calendar, a full-screen clock application, etc).

Both of these options are set in a control panel applet System->Device Lock.

NOTE: I know some people have use memmaid to register the lock application to run on wake up. If you do this, DO NOT select the suspend device option!! This will result in not being able to wake your device up for more than a few seconds (Wake up the device, your notification tells the device to lock, the lock process suspends the device, You wake up the device, rinse, repeat)

If you do this, all is not lost, just soft reset your device and uncheck the option to suspend in the control panel.

Here's a link to the installer (Requires WM5 PocketPC edition):
http://www.mr2-power.com/downloads/DeviceLock.CAB
You will likely need to soft-reset to see the new Control Panel applet.

*NEW* The latest version does NOT require the Lock Device today item to be loaded!

Enjoy!
-Matt Armstrong

1st April 2006, 01:41 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Tried it on a BA and it works but change the default from suspend when locked since the applet doesnt show till after soft-reset. Thanks.
1st April 2006, 01:45 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
so you're saying make the default behavior NOT to suspend. Someone in another forum also requested the ability to blank the screen rather than suspend. I'll likely add this option in the next couple of days. I can change the default registry entry now though. A new installer should be up in a couple of minutes.

-Matt
1st April 2006, 03:23 AM |#4  
OP Member

More
Ok, yet another new CAB file has been uploaded. This new version has the option to suspend the device OR just blank the screen. If you blank the screen your programs will continue to run (and consume more power!). To restore the screen just press the power button. I also changed the default behavior after install to JUST lock the phone (not susped or blank). Everything else is the same.

-Matt
P.S. I appreciate all of the feedback very much. Keep it coming!
1st April 2006, 04:23 AM |#5  

More
Thanks for the changes armstrom, ill download and test again. Thanks
1st April 2006, 04:36 AM |#6  

More
Just installed and it works ok.
1st April 2006, 05:28 AM |#7  
OP Member

More
I have updated the software one final time for the night.

I have eliminated the requirement that the Lock Device today item be loaded. Now you can go unload that item and free up 20 pixels of screen real-estate For some reason this was a biggie to many people :? So it's finally done.

Keep the bug reports coming as you find them.

-Matt
1st April 2006, 08:55 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
great version. Without the plugin makes it invaluable. Maybe you can make as an option to hook it to the power button to get it to run when you power off? Or we can use vjkey for that
1st April 2006, 03:46 PM |#9  
OP Member

More
Well, I can add that option. In fact an early revision of the software did have it. I was just having inconsistent results with it on my MDA. For some reason the MDA wasn't firing the wakeup event if I suspend and then resume with just the power button. (press the power to suspend, then press again to resume). If I programmatically suspend the device, then I get the event every time. I can add it back in though if you want to try it on your device. Maybe you'll have better luck?

Edit: I just installed the new version vj's software and it has the same problem as mine. For some reason my phone does fire the wake-up event properly! I'll add the option back in to my software since it seems to work on other people's hardware just fine.

-Matt
1st April 2006, 06:43 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Awesome!!
Man this place is great!

Armstrom, both you and VJ are awesome. This was the biggest single thing I've missed since buying my 8125. Since I use Xpress mail and the device wakes up when a message comes in, and if it's in my holster, and a button is gettind pushed, all sorts of weird things would happen.

So I had to always remember to go to Today, scroll down, hit the lock function...grrr.

But no more. I can't believe the terrific amount of support, hard work and resources you guys all contribute to these cool little gadgets.

Thanks again to both of you.

-JMS
1st April 2006, 06:59 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
If this can be made wot work reliably with power on events it would be awesome.

Thank you for putting these together.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)