Acer Iconia NAND repair fix for Dummies!

5 posts
Thanks Meter: 13

By darkeskye, Junior Member on 19th January 2014, 08:09 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Ok so ive had this acer iconia a500 (stock no root) and one day it borked itself, now i have read every guide on here and tried everything from EUU to Apxflash tool to barbedsector to tdv4 and realized I had a bad nand after getting an error from barbedsector, now most of you know nvidia is forever releasing **** with bad/cold solder joints so, I said what the hell! why not reflow this ****er and give it a try its already trash.

So this is what I did to fix the bad nand, first off take mainboard out of the unit, pop off the cover on the gpu and nand chip off, now wrap everything else in foil except the area I said to pop the can cover off of, preheat your oven to 400 F, once oven is preheated use a baking sheet pan with 4 foil balls to keep MB off the tray. now place your baking sheet pan with MB in the oven and set your timer for 5min exactly (no more than 5min) when timer goes off pull pan out the oven and with a flat head screw driver (or something not plastic) gently press down the gpu, memory and nand chips and then set it off to the side for about 10min or until the whole board is cold, now once cold put it all back together and attempt your recoveries (I myself just turned it on and it booted past the dreaded acer screen instantly (your time may differ)

This should work for most that have had their tablet drop dead out of nowhere, and for the record if the nands were totally bad they would never have passed the testing stage at acer before hitting the shelves which is what led me to believe it was a cold solder prob, thanks NVIDIA I love fixing your ****! ALSO BTW I use this procedure to fix Laptops, Ps3s, Xbox 360s and multiple electronics that have heating issues!

Hope this helps you guys out! if it does hit my thank you button cause not one person replied to my first threat about the tablet being borked!
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to darkeskye For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift darkeskye Ad-Free
1st February 2014, 09:36 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
i´d like to bake the errors away, too
Hello

thanks for your guide, it would be very facinating to solve my problem in a similar way.

in this thread, i described my error incl. two pics.
is one of the errors a similar to yours?

i would like to be sure its really broken hardware before having mainboard-cake on sunday afternoon.

thx for a reply

kreike
1st February 2014, 11:56 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
i cant believe it, but it worked
i couldn´t wait as it was trash in any other way, as you already explained.
many thanks again and again and once more... for this idea.
after the operation, i had no error flashing, babsector created new partitions without any remarks (see attched pic).

to your guide, i would like to add following / explain how i did it:

- better remove camera from the board
- the area to take away the can is on the lower side after opening
- i pushed - gently as adviced - with the big and of a pencil, just to get resistance
- i put the oven on 210 Celsius, a little more tha adviced,
- the lower side, the left an right part were packed into 2 layers of foil
- make sure, you can insert the sd-card properly again...

worked on my second device, too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	babsector_after_bakery.png
Views:	1994
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	2552517  
The Following User Says Thank You to kreike For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kreike Ad-Free
11th February 2014, 06:39 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I am going to try this this weekend! Might as well since my tablet is already bricked. I've figured the memory chip just got corrupted somehow, but if it's just the solder and a nice toasty bake can fix it, I will be super stoked!

I'll let you know how it turns out next week.
14th February 2014, 11:44 PM |#5  

More
Thank you, finally something that worx!
After having tried, (like many others with me) almost anything i could find on google and forums about the fixing of this A500-headache machine, Finally this one worked for me!!! But after 1 day of full functioning A500 I guess the solder-joint got cold again though, and it stopped functioning again. tried it 2 more times and and now fully functional device again!!! Same as with the older xbox360...Thanx again.
16th February 2014, 02:07 AM |#6  

More
Kinda Worked
I tried this technique and it allowed me to boot into APX, run babsector and get it to pass!! I was so excited. It then actually rebooted into recovery. I then tried to flash A ROM back onto the device, and ended up right where I had started. Stuck on the Android logo.

Tried to run babsector again and it just failed like it used to. I tried baking the MB again, with no luck. Not sure if I should just try it again and again until it does work, or if this MB is just shot.
11th April 2014, 09:05 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Photos?
Anyone have any photos of the foiled up motherboard? It would help a lot in knowing what's where. I'm going to try this as soon as I can. Thanks!
29th May 2014, 09:40 PM |#8  

More
I appreciate if you could attach some photos or video. I would like to try this one as soon as i have some pics to teach me how to do it.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeskye

Ok so ive had this acer iconia a500 (stock no root) and one day it borked itself, now i have read every guide on here and tried everything from EUU to Apxflash tool to barbedsector to tdv4 and realized I had a bad nand after getting an error from barbedsector, now most of you know nvidia is forever releasing **** with bad/cold solder joints so, I said what the hell! why not reflow this ****er and give it a try its already trash.

So this is what I did to fix the bad nand, first off take mainboard out of the unit, pop off the cover on the gpu and nand chip off, now wrap everything else in foil except the area I said to pop the can cover off of, preheat your oven to 400 F, once oven is preheated use a baking sheet pan with 4 foil balls to keep MB off the tray. now place your baking sheet pan with MB in the oven and set your timer for 5min exactly (no more than 5min) when timer goes off pull pan out the oven and with a flat head screw driver (or something not plastic) gently press down the gpu, memory and nand chips and then set it off to the side for about 10min or until the whole board is cold, now once cold put it all back together and attempt your recoveries (I myself just turned it on and it booted past the dreaded acer screen instantly (your time may differ)

This should work for most that have had their tablet drop dead out of nowhere, and for the record if the nands were totally bad they would never have passed the testing stage at acer before hitting the shelves which is what led me to believe it was a cold solder prob, thanks NVIDIA I love fixing your ****! ALSO BTW I use this procedure to fix Laptops, Ps3s, Xbox 360s and multiple electronics that have heating issues!

Hope this helps you guys out! if it does hit my thank you button cause not one person replied to my first threat about the tablet being borked!

Hi,

If you don't mind can you please send me a video or photos that which parts need to be wrap in foil and place in oven? I appreciate if you could send me as soon as possible. I am now frustrated after using all tricks and none of them worked out.

Thanks.
25th June 2014, 06:26 PM |#9  
Flag Stillwater

More
Tried this...sadly didn't work. Tried it again for 10 minutes, again, no luck. I have always liked Acer, but after this, and seeing how many people have this issue, and other issues related to Acer products, you can bet they'll go on my 'do not buy' list.

Glad I only paid $20 for the tablet (had a charging issue that I repaired)
3rd September 2014, 05:14 PM |#10  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Somewhere in a Deep Cave on the Troll Kings Throne
Thanks Meter: 6,971

Donate to Me
More
Well, after my bootloader "Blob Update Failed", and no other method of unbricking it, I used this as a last resort.

It worked!!!

For Europeans, set the oven to about 200/205 C. Used a pencil eraser to press down immediately after removing from oven. Not quite sure which exact chips to press down on, so I did all available!

Only bad thing, I broke the rear facing camera (not important anyhow).
9th September 2014, 11:43 AM |#11  

More
it worked for me
I took out my MB to a nearby repair man. he blew heat gun over the NAND chip and it worked!! everything is back to normal without any data loss. thanks a lot
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
question

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)