[Fix][N9005][ExtSdCard Write Issue][Kitkat 4.4.2][NA6] - Rooted

Search This thread

mateenf

Nov 1, 2009
Mumbai
Hello All,

Since kitkat 4.4.2 was released on the Galaxy Note 3, many users were unable to write files to the External SD Card. Below is a simple fix for rooted users on the Galaxy Note 3 N9005 ( International Snapdragon Variant).

**Please be advised that I have only tested this on my personal N9005. However, you are free to test it on your own devices at your own risk!! **

1. Using a root-enabled file manager, navigate to /system/etc/permissions
2. Edit platform.xml and find the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.
3. Add an additional group definition for this permission...
4. Save the changes to the file.
5. Restart.

Attached is a copy of my platform.xml.

Note : Another Playstore application avaliable to fix this issue : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.sdfix.
Edited on request of @webmastir

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-20-17-52-22.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-01-20-17-52-22.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 57,066
Last edited:

zpjotr

Nov 26, 2008
Tallinn
try it yesterday 4 times :) and every time I had a Bluetooth error.
The only way I was able to use Kitkat with my note was using a custom ROM. Do not understand, what are custom rom builders do other way, but it work for me...

And more. Even with custom rom, the external sd is showed the "different" way, when in 4.3 , For example, in Total commander, there is no SD2. and some other software, do not define microsd as SD card. Just another folder in fail system...

mateenf

Nov 1, 2009
Mumbai
try it yesterday 4 times :) and every time I had a Bluetooth error.
The only way I was able to use Kitkat with my note was using a custom ROM. Do not understand, what are custom rom builders do other way, but it work for me...

And more. Even with custom rom, the external sd is showed the "different" way, when in 4.3 , For example, in Total commander, there is no SD2. and some other software, do not define microsd as SD card. Just another folder in fail system...

Well, the architecture is the same and permission manisfest is used with all roms, sammy developers forgot to add a group I guess or did it on purpose, who knows.. but this worked like a charm for me after I flashed kitkat and felt handicapped.

Maybe you have messed up with some permission or something if you're getting the bluetooth error.

Try to do a clean flash again and then edit the file. If clean flash is not possibe pm me ur email. I will send you my xml and try to replace it with yours to see if that fixes your problem.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app

carlomagno78

Apr 21, 2009
Valencia
this method isnt working for me I already modified the file but still cant make the programs to access the sd card, worst than that my internal storage is "write protected"... Im starting to think to get rid of this phone it has been nothing but problems since the beggining: Region Lock, Knox crap and now the SD... whats next?

Reactions: HUYI and piffe

mateenf

Nov 1, 2009
Mumbai
this method isnt working for me I already modified the file but still cant make the programs to access the sd card, worst than that my internal storage is "write protected"... Im starting to think to get rid of this phone it has been nothing but problems since the beggining: Region Lock, Knox crap and now the SD... whats next?

Can you add a screen of the platform.xml? Perhaps you may have wrongly entered the permission gid.. And you need to restart the phone after editing the file.

Last edited:

carlomagno78

Apr 21, 2009
Valencia
Can you add a screen of the platform.xml? Perhaps you may have wrongly entered the permission gid.. And you need to restart the phone after editing the file.

Sure here it is.

I made it by flashing the zip file, am not able to copy or edit files in the internal memory because "write protection"

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-21-10-41-13.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-01-21-10-41-13.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 14,920
Reactions: svd1977

mateenf

Nov 1, 2009
Mumbai
Sure here it is.

I made it by flashing the zip file, am not able to copy or edit files in the internal memory because "write protection"

I'd strongly recommend to do a full wipe and factory reset if you're having a custom recovery. Ive read fee forums outside XDA that many a times flashable zips have cause a problem to platform.xml.

If you dont have a custom recovery then you may need to flash the firmware again and then edit the file.

zpjotr

Nov 26, 2008
Tallinn
Well, the architecture is the same and permission manisfest is used with all roms, sammy developers forgot to add a group I guess or did it on purpose, who knows.. but this worked like a charm for me after I flashed kitkat and felt handicapped.

Maybe you have messed up with some permission or something if you're getting the bluetooth error.

Try to do a clean flash again and then edit the file. If clean flash is not possibe pm me ur email. I will send you my xml and try to replace it with yours to see if that fixes your problem.

thank you for proposed help. But I'm to tired of setting up phone after all weekend "fun" with rom flashed (all together 5-6 times with full wipe) :)

I'm almost sure, I wasn't messing with anything else - I did it more then 4 times, and Bluetooth was working until I edit platform.xml
now, I start to think, it's possible the ownership and permissions were changed after editing (I was using total commander and did not check it after saving the file).

But, I'm not the only one - there someone having same issue:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49530438&postcount=3
P.S. I wasn't modifying /mnt/media_rw

martiros

Apr 8, 2008
some application don't have permission to write extSdCard

I made this mod but some application don't have permission to write ExtSdCard.

these application in my case are: dolphin wont download files, tomtom navigator doesn't work but moving tomtom folder in internal sdcard it works.

Is there anybody that have same issue?

Hello All,

Since kitkat 4.4.2 was released on the Galaxy Note 3, many users were unable to write files to the External SD Card. Below is a simple fix for rooted users on the Galaxy Note 3 N9005 ( International Snapdragon Variant).

**Please be advised that I have only tested this on my personal N9005. However, you are free to test it on your own devices at your own risk!! **

3. Add an additional group definition for this permission...<group gid="media_rw" />
5. Restart.

ChardC

Oct 22, 2007
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Hey, I'm having the same issue, it's affecting my titanium backups. I tried the very same method above over the weekend based on instructions from another thread, but still no success.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

Hey, your permissions are correct, previously I granted sdcard_rw rights, but not media_rw as mentioned in your discussion. Since the changes to show
"
<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
<group gid="sdcard_r" />
<group gid="sdcard_rw" />
<group gid="media_rw" />
</permission>
"
I'm able to write and titanium backup is running smoothly.

Thanks and Cheers!

jetbruceli

May 8, 2011
Bamberg, Germany
Hello All,

3. Add an additional group definition for this permission...<group gid="media_rw" />
5. Restart.

Thanks for the best additional thing to bring stuck with KitKat.

sent from my iPhone 6s 64gb 5.7inch Super Oled screen and spen

liomajor

Sep 25, 2009
Today's rollout for OMN, SIM, MTL and ATL have the same missing media_rw.

If you are not on root (!!!knox 0x1!!!), i suggest NOT to update to 4.4.2
or a lot programs you paid for might not work properly if they need
access to ExtSdCard.

Dunno if its a bug or changed permissions to use ExtSdCard.

Currently only programs with system access like stock Filemanager are working.

antt00

Jul 31, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
That will have to wait for Samsung to push the OTA update.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
I don't think there will be a fix. This is a kitkat feature where app that need access to external sd need to ask for permission. So it's up to each app developer to update their app with this permission.

Reactions: sachinaik

mateenf

Nov 1, 2009
Mumbai
I don't think there will be a fix. This is a kitkat feature where app that need access to external sd need to ask for permission. So it's up to each app developer to update their app with this permission.

+1

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello All,

3. Add an additional group definition for this permission...
    5. Restart.

Note : Another Playstore application avaliable to fix this issue : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.sdfix.
    Edited on request of @webmastir
    I've written an app which automates this process, thread is here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2684188
    ROOT IS REQUIRED, OF COURSE.

It's free and ad-free (though I do show links to my other apps when it's completed).

It works by modifying the platform.xml using XML APIs, rather than replacing the XML file. It will place a backup of the original file in the /system/etc/permissions ("platform.xml.original-pre-sdfix"), assuming one does not exist. It will take no action if the device already has the media_rw group added to the permission WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE (i.e., if you attempt to run it twice, no action is taken the second time).

Screenshots:

sdfix_welcome.png
    sdfix_ready.png

sdfix_wait.png
    sdfix_complete.png
    Hey, I'm having the same issue, it's affecting my titanium backups. I tried the very same method above over the weekend based on instructions from another thread, but still no success.

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

Hey, your permissions are correct, previously I granted sdcard_rw rights, but not media_rw as mentioned in your discussion. Since the changes to show
    "
    <permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
    <group gid="sdcard_r" />
    <group gid="sdcard_rw" />
    <group gid="media_rw" />
    </permission>
    "
    I'm able to write and titanium backup is running smoothly.

Thanks and Cheers!

This was a one-click fix for me, worked great on a N9005 running 4.4.2.
    FX Filre Explorer, tTorrent and any other app can now write to the microSD. A lot faster than editing XML manually.

Direct link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.sdfix

It's free and ad-free (though I do show links to my other apps when it's completed).

It works by modifying the platform.xml using XML APIs, rather than replacing the XML file. It will place a backup of the original file in the /system/etc/permissions ("platform.xml.original-pre-sdfix"), assuming one does not exist. It will take no action if the device already has the media_rw group added to the permission WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE (i.e., if you attempt to run it twice, no action is taken the second time).

Screenshots:

sdfix_welcome.png
    sdfix_ready.png

sdfix_wait.png
    sdfix_complete.png

Great thread! I tried to modify my platform.xml file on my LG Optimus G Pro (E980 on AT&T) using three different root file explorers but kept getting error messages, and neither would allow me to save my changes. I then installed and ran the above app and it worked as stated.

I was then able to get into Titanium Backup and creates a "Titanium Backup" folder on my external SD card. I ran a backup, and the files are where they are supposed to be...on the EXTERNAL SD card and not on the internal SD card.

Thank you.