Remove All Ads from XDA

[HOW-TO]Change wifi mac address on mt6589

34 posts
Thanks Meter: 56

By chiragjn, Member on 22nd January 2014, 06:47 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi everyone , this is my first how-to guide
i will try to keep it as clear as possible

NOTE : I will not be held responsible if you change your wifi mac address for illegal purposes.

A backup of your NVRAM is recommended.
Method 1(via Engineering mode)
This method does NOT require ROOT access.

1.Download MTK Engineering Mode shortcut app from here :https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ngineerStarter
2.Turn Off your Wifi .Open MTK Engineering Mode shortcut app and Click MTK Settings.
(Incase you are not able to access Engineering mode, skip to alternate method below)
3.Swipe To Connectivity Tab.
4.Click Wifi
5.Click NVRAM
6.In Byte String Access put values as
addr(h,byte) : 4
length(byte) : 6
7.Click Read. The 12 Digits shown in value(h) field is your current wifi mac address.Better make a note of it.
8.Erase the value(h) field and now put your own 12 digit mac address,
IMPORTANT:
RULES FOR WIFI MAC ADDRESS
1.Should be 12 Digits long only
2.Should have hexadecimal characters only (0-F)
3.Second digit of mac address should be Even Digit only (0 or 2 or 4 or 6 or 8 or A or C or E)

valid example - 0205160F0A3E
invalid example - 016GEABCDF59
9.Click write.
10.Exit to Home, Turn Off and turn On your Wifi Again.
11.Now Check your Wifi mac address in Phone Status.It should be Changed to what you entered in Step 8.
12.To get back your original Mac address, repeat the process with original Mac address value.

Alternate Method
THIS METHOD REQUIRES ROOT ACCESS

1.Get any good File Browser with Root access (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ot.browserfree)
2.Get this Hex Editor : https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...?id=tuba.tools
3.Turnoff your wifi.With the File Browser, browse to /data/nvram/APCFG/APRDEB/
4.Copy the file called WIFI to sdcard twice(one for backup purpose and other to edit)
5.Also note the permissions on the WIFI file (for me it was rw-rw----)
6.Rename this file to WIFI.bak
7.Open the copied WIFI file on sdcard with Hex Editor.
8.Notice your Wifi mac Address from address 04 to 09.Change the values of addresses 04,05,06,07,08,09 each with corresponding 2 digits of your new mac address
IMPORTANT:
1.Should be 12 Digits long only
3.Second digit of mac address should be Even Digit only (0 or 2 or 4 or 6 or 8 or A or C or E)

9.Save it.
10.Now copy this modified WIFI file to /data/nvram/APCFG/APRDEB/
11.Set the permissions you noticed in step 5 to this just copied WIFI file( rw-rw---- in my case)
12.Turn on Your Wifi And check your mac address,it should be changed.

Screenshots coming soon,

If this guide helped you ,Click THANKS button.
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to chiragjn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chiragjn Ad-Free
19th April 2014, 09:34 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragjn

Hi everyone , this is my first how-to guide
i will try to keep it as clear as possible

NOTE : I will not be held responsible if you change your wifi mac address for illegal purposes.

A backup of your NVRAM is recommended.
Method 1(via Engineering mode)
This method does NOT require ROOT access.

1.Download MTK Engineering Mode shortcut app from here :https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ngineerStarter
2.Turn Off your Wifi .Open MTK Engineering Mode shortcut app and Click MTK Settings
(Incase you are not able to access Engineering mode, skip to alternate method below)
4.Click Wifi
5.Click NVRAM
7.Click Read. The 12 Digits shown in value(h) field is your current wifi mac address.Better make a note of it.
8.Erase the value(h) field and now put your own 12 digit mac address,
IMPORTANT:
1.Should be 12 Digit long only

9.Click write.
10.Exit to Home, Turn Off and turn On your Wifi Again.
11.Now Check your Wifi mac address in Phone Status.It should be Changed to what you entered in Step 8.
12.To get back your original Mac address, repeat the process with original Mac address value.

Alternate Method
THIS METHOD REQUIRES ROOT ACCESS

1.Get any good File Browser with Root access (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ot.browserfree)
2.Get this Hex Editor : https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...?id=tuba.tools
3.Turnoff your wifi.With the File Browser, browse to /data/nvram/APCFG/APRDEB/
4.Copy the file called WIFI to sdcard twice(once for backup purpose)
5.Also note the permissions on the WIFI file (for me it was rw-rw----)
6.Rename this file to WIFI.bak
7.Open the copied WIFI file on sdcard with Hex Editor.
8.Notice your Wifi mac Address from address 04 to 09.Change the values of addresses 04,05,06,07,08,09 each with corresponding 2 digits of your new mac address
IMPORTANT:
1.Should be 12 Digit long only

9.Save it.
10.Now copy this modified WIFI file to /data/nvram/APCFG/APRDEB/
11.Set the permissions you noticed in step 5 to this just copied WIFI file( rw-rw---- in my case)
12.Turn on Your Wifi And check your mac address,it should be changed.

Screenshots coming soon,

If this guide helped you ,Click THANKS button.

Lenovo S920, MT6589 device, data folder is empty. Nevertheless there's a lot of stuff in the folder /dev, but no /APCFG/APRDEB/ route at all either.
The first "non-root" method didn't worked for me either. It changes the MAC but when I am trying to connect to the router with this "new" MAC, which by the way it worked in my Galaxy Note with Cyanogenmod 10.2 installed, the phone can't get internet, although it connects to the router.
The Following User Says Thank You to mulenguezt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mulenguezt Ad-Free
9th October 2014, 09:36 AM |#3  
Flag Frankfurt am/Main
Thanks Meter: 92

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulenguezt

Lenovo S920, MT6589 device, data folder is empty. Nevertheless there's a lot of stuff in the folder /dev, but no /APCFG/APRDEB/ route at all either.

Now I know that all these "Droids" are not created equal... But, I suspect that your unable to find the /APCFG/APRDEB/ in the /dev Folder... Is 'cause its under the /data Folder....

/data/nvram"/APCFG/APRDEB" -> WIFI & WIFI_CONFIG...

BTW:
2.Turn Off your Wifi .Open MTK Engineering Mode shortcut app and Click MTK Settings
4.Click Wifi
5.Click NVRAM
BTW: You messed up... At least so with whatever version of MTK Engineering Mode is currenty on Google play...
length(h,byte) : 6
lenght(byte) : 4

That'll net you the first Four Digits plus the last Eight of your MAC Address... Such as it is.
Though I'll doubt that this too would survive a wipe. Before heading back off to 00:08:22:xx:xx:xx-random-land again...
The Following User Says Thank You to Ichijoe For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ichijoe Ad-Free
9th October 2014, 10:10 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 780

Donate to Me
More
nice guide but is there any way to permanently change MAC address. it auto Revert back to original MAC address On reboot

Thanks!
25th December 2014, 07:24 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
ANY IDEA ABOUT THIS ISSUE????

>>Step: Ap Meta Disconnect with target...

>>OK: Exit Meta successfully
>>----------------------------------------------------------------------<<

>>Step:Begin Scan Smart Phone data...

>>Step: Cancel scan Barcode DiagBox.
>>-------------------------------------------------------------------<<
>>Step: Enter Meta Mode && Smart Phone;

>>Step: Start to Init AP Nvram Database...
OK: Init AP Nvram Database successfully.
>>Step: Start to Connect with target...
COM port searching and preloader handshake
COM port searching and preloader handshake ok
COM port searching and Kernel handshake
COM port searching and Kernel handshake OK
SP_META_ConnectInMetaMode_r Error: maybe is META_MISC_FAIL_TO_WRITE_BACKUP_RESULT cause...
Error: Connect failed, Exit Meta Mode and turn to next phone.
ERROR!! Go to ST_END statues is: ST_AP

>>Step: Ap Meta Disconnect with target...

>>OK: Exit Meta successfully
>>----------------------------------------------------------------------<<

>>Step: Cancel scan Barcode DiagBox.
The Following User Says Thank You to mdromed For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mdromed Ad-Free
2nd February 2015, 11:41 PM |#6  
Flag Sombor
Thanks Meter: 56

More
chamelemac
I know of this app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...amelemac&hl=en
chamelemac
it changed mac adress for Leva ported Rom perfectly.And it persist through restart of phone.
It will however have "error not compatible device" if device prop is changed to something like "samsung galaxy" etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to IcemanSR For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift IcemanSR Ad-Free
27th February 2015, 12:30 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanSR

I know of this app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...amelemac&hl=en
chamelemac
it changed mac adress for Leva ported Rom perfectly.And it persist through restart of phone.
It will however have "error not compatible device" if device prop is changed to something like "samsung galaxy" etc.

Worked for me too!!!! Every time i reboot, the last 3 par of HEX char randomly change.
After set the original mac address with Chamelemac, and a reboot, MAC ADDRESS remains!!!!

NOTE: tested and working with MT6595 Zopo zp999 3gb RAM 32gb ROM
1st April 2016, 09:14 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
5.Click NVRAM

Ok this works but evidently my info are stored somewhere else. at 4 and 6 I have only zeroes. Programming those worked (it stick after reboot) but didn't fix the issue. Still have the 1st 6 hex the same and the other 6 randomly changed everytime I disable the wifi
Question is, do you have any idea where (at what addres) this string could be stored?
I have an ALPS w806 aka K18

thank you
19th August 2016, 06:54 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
How could you restore your device.prop or build.prop to its default? I'm encountering an Chamelemac error: "error not compatible device" on my Huawei Y220-U10. I wish you could enlighten me a bit because just last few months I've been able to change my mac address with the use of Chamelemac but now I can't. And i don't know why, maybe application update but it seems like chamelemac is just stuck with version 1.0 . Maybe you know something that could help me. By the way I'd rather use chamelemac other than those posted on the thread because it's easy to use just one click and i could change my mac address instantly. Hope for your response. Thanks in advance!
19th November 2016, 07:15 AM |#10  
Almaty
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichijoe

Now I know that all these "Droids" are not created equal... But, I suspect that your unable to find the /APCFG/APRDEB/ in the /dev Folder... Is 'cause its under the /data Folder....

/data/nvram"/APCFG/APRDEB" -> WIFI & WIFI_CONFIG...

BTW:
4.Click Wifi
5.Click NVRAM
BTW: You messed up... At least so with whatever version of MTK Engineering Mode is currenty on Google play...
length(h,byte) : 6
lenght(byte) : 4

That'll net you the first Four Digits plus the last Eight of your MAC Address... Such as it is.
Though I'll doubt that this too would survive a wipe. Before heading back off to 00:08:22:xx:xx:xx-random-land again...

Hi there. This is work to Lenovo TAB2 A8-50F. My Wi-Fi Mac Address is every time when I turn on and connect to Wi-Fi point is automatic changing. Now, I have a fixed Mac Address. Thanks.

What I am do?
Install MTK Engineering Mode app. Then turn off Wi-Fi. Launch MTK EM app > Go to Connectivity Tab > Wi-Fi > NVRAM. Then type at "Byte String Access:".
add(n,byte): 6
length(byte): 4
value(h): 11223344
Then push button Write. Turn on Wi-Fi. Go to check Wi-Fi Mac Address. There must be an 00:00:11:22:33:44. Thanks!
27th November 2016, 09:27 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
my phone a1 aq4501 processor MT 6582 help me
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)