FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

EZCast aka Miracast dongle vs Chromecast (discussion, similarities and differences)

351 posts
Thanks Meter: 263
 
By mathorv, Senior Member on 1st February 2014, 12:06 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
6th March 2017, 04:16 PM |#111  
Senior Member
Flag Morpeth
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik101

The real EzCasts work both ways, and yes you can still access the internet when connecting to the Ezs SSID.... That's the whole point of setting it up as a wireless bridge.... .

That's the whole issue - I don't want to connect to a "bridge" to my router - I want to have the wifi connect to the router and wifidirect to the "cast" device.

If you connect to the "cast" ssid then via that bridge to the router - you need it running everytime you have your tablet on OR manually keep switching from "cast" ssid to router ssid..

The otehr way you can auto-connect to the router and only faff with the "cast" device when you want to cast to it.

Quote:

I see so many bad reviews for these devices and I'm convinced it's just incompetent or ignorant people using them.

Hmm... smells like "if you don't like it then you're incompetent (or don't understand)"

Quote:

Chromecasts also aren't 'rubbish'. It's just a different use case, which is great for casting media from chrome, screen mirroring from my android devices/windows PC even though the format support is lacking a bit. That last issue is easily solved with transcoding software such as Videostream for Chrome on my Windows PC and Megacast on Android.

So - it's OK if you want to muck about transcoding (even on-the-fly), but if you just want to use, watch... more or less sheet-outtta-luck.
Useless as a TV connected device - you can't do much at all with it without pre-connecting to it with the tablet.

I'll concede that's it's a LOT more useful than roku stick (1800 channels of which 1850 are crap) (OK, joking aside - probably 1700 of them are rubbish with 100 useful ones).

Quote:

People shouldn't bash products just because they can't figure them out..

I was interested in your views until you played the "if you don't like it then you don't understand it" card - that's when I walk away from a discussion.

Quote:

The Ezcast is one of the best things I ever spent $20 on, especially compared to my other miracast box based on a realtek soc. Those developers were 'nice' enough to lock the Fing thing down on its final update so I can't switch it back to a MOS Services based fw without a serial adapter to tftp in. Not worth the effort, when I still having a working MK1 Xtreamer running MOS Services on the network

The genuine EZCast looks good, the EZCast 4k seems good too..
 
 
6th March 2017, 07:22 PM |#112  
mik101's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 104
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffbutt

That's the whole issue - I don't want to connect to a "bridge" to my router - I want to have the wifi connect to the router and wifidirect to the "cast" device.

If you connect to the "cast" ssid then via that bridge to the router - you need it running everytime you have your tablet on OR manually keep switching from "cast" ssid to router ssid..

The otehr way you can auto-connect to the router and only faff with the "cast" device when you want to cast to it.


Hmm... smells like "if you don't like it then you're incompetent (or don't understand)"



So - it's OK if you want to muck about transcoding (even on-the-fly), but if you just want to use, watch... more or less sheet-outtta-luck.
Useless as a TV connected device - you can't do much at all with it without pre-connecting to it with the tablet.

I'll concede that's it's a LOT more useful than roku stick (1800 channels of which 1850 are crap) (OK, joking aside - probably 1700 of them are rubbish with 100 useful ones).



I was interested in your views until you played the "if you don't like it then you don't understand it" card - that's when I walk away from a discussion.



The genuine EZCast looks good, the EZCast 4k seems good too..

The Ezcast lives on your network as a DLNA device as well as existing as it's own wifi network as a bridge. You don't have to connect to it first at all if you don't want to. I think you're missing that part. It can be used flexibly, rather just being bound to its own Ezcast app. It also works as a Miracast device if you ever do want to share your whole screen. If you run a DNLA server on the network besides like I do, you, can just point the ezcast at whatever you want to play with something like Allconnect (turning the ezcast into a DLNA endpoint renderer and the Ezcast will play it directly from the server without that media ever having travelled through your mobile device. The mobile device just acts as a remote control.

If you're saying you want to actually navigate for your media and do everything through the device rather than it being a renderer then you just need to get an Android box, Apple TV, etc with its own remote to actually find the content on.

If you're streaming from sites the Ezcast actually has their own Ezchannel app to do that too. There's not really that much mucking around if you know what you want to play, and how.

Read the reviews and honestly tell me people know how to use the Ezcast every way it can be used. Because it sure sounds like people don't know how to use half of the functionality and then rate it poorly. Perhaps a lot of them are using clones where half of the functions don't work correctly, but I can only speak of my experience with the original Ezcast over the past two years.

The main purpose of Google's Chromecast is to access YouTube and paid content like Netflix, cravetv, movies and shows from the play store and countless other apps that have casting built in. They specifically limited format support to limit it's usefulness to pirates and encourage consumption of their content. The transcoding on the fly is the way to work around that limitation. It is good at what it was intended to do. It wasn't meant to be a jack of all trades. Personally I use Allstream on my Rooted Android devices to cast any music and internet radio etc over my network to my Chromecast v1 plugged into my surround sound reciever. Now there exists a Chromecast audio for that, but it didn't exist when I started doing it this way (and a few of my favourite streaming audio apps still don't have proper Chromecast support) but Allstream gets me around that limitation too. It is impressive what third party developers have managed to get working on a device that really couldn't do all that much other than youtube and Netflix out of the box, when it was originally launched.
6th March 2017, 08:52 PM |#113  
Senior Member
Flag Morpeth
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik101

The Ezcast lives on your network as a DLNA device as well as existing as it's own wifi network as a bridge. You don't have to connect to it first at all if you don't want to. I think you're missing that part. It can be used flexibly, rather just being bound to its own Ezcast app. It also works as a Miracast device if you ever do want to share your whole screen. If you run a DNLA server on the network besides like I do, you, can just point the ezcast at whatever you want to play with something like Allconnect (turning the ezcast into a DLNA endpoint renderer and the Ezcast will play it directly from the server without that media ever having travelled through your mobile device. The mobile device just acts as a remote control..

Yes - I know that... but there ARE some "??cast" devices" (MyCast, EzCast (clone), etc) that ONLY have a wifi SSID to connect to - you have to disconnect from your router and connect to them to cast to it.

That was my comment - trying to get accurate info from sellers which of which their device is... and sifting through the lies and blather to get the answer.

One seller on EBay earned a modicum of respect - he answered directly that it was an SSID only device, no other connection possible.. At least he was honest an up front about it.

Quote:

If you're saying you want to actually navigate for your media and do everything through the device rather than it being a renderer then you just need to get an Android box, Apple TV, etc with its own remote to actually find the content on

If you're streaming from sites the Ezcast actually has their own Ezchannel app to do that too. There's not really that much mucking around if you know what you want to play, and how.

Yes - it's a bit like the roku channels but seems more useful - I'm on the EZCast forums.


Quote:

Read the reviews and honestly tell me people know how to use the Ezcast every way it can be used. Because it sure sounds like people don't know how to use half of the functionality and then rate it poorly. Perhaps a lot of them are using clones where half of the functions don't work correctly, but I can only speak of my experience with the original Ezcast over the past two years.

Yes --to both parts.

There are plenty who just don't know what it can do and are afraid to experiment in case they bugger it somehow. But not liking something is not automatically "not understanding it".
DPReview camera forum is full of that sort of lunacy... if you dislike a particular chosen "god camera" then you "don't understand it and should go back to point n shoot".. LOL - you sort of started to remind be of that cesspit of a place...

Sorry for being a little offensive - but I REALLY dislike that "don't like = don't understand" attitude. BUT, I do agree that there are people who are like that.

Quote:

The main purpose of Google's Chromecast is to access YouTube and paid content like Netflix, cravetv, movies and shows from the play store and countless other apps that have casting built in. They specifically limited format support to limit it's usefulness to pirates and encourage consumption of their content.
The transcoding on the fly is the way to work around that limitation. It is good at what it was intended to do. It wasn't meant to be a jack of all trades.

I'd rate it a lot higher if it had even just a bare-bones basic interface, minimalist GUI - this "access only from tablet (or phone, etc)" thing is silly.
OK - it;s mostly used to stream from a tablet, OK... but you still need the tablet to start its own "internal" access thing, YTube, etc.

Quote:

Personally I use Allstream on my Rooted Android devices to cast any music and internet radio etc over my network to my Chromecast v1 plugged into my surround sound reciever. Now there exists a Chromecast audio for that, but it didn't exist when I started doing it this way (and a few of my favourite streaming audio apps still don't have proper Chromecast support) but Allstream gets me around that limitation too. It is impressive what third party developers have managed to get working on a device that really couldn't do all that much other than youtube and Netflix out of the box, when it was originally launched

I confess to preferring a little more flexibility - having to start up the tablet to tell the thing to watch "XYZ" seems somewhat limited.
I think, maybe, it;s ME - most people have their phone to tabs always on, standby...

I killed (BWAAA ha ha ha ha !!!) my Sony Xperia Z3 (yes, it felt THAT good to get that &^%^&&^% &*^& DEAD)... so that's out... and I think I only turn my Galaxy Tab S2 on about three times a week... and it goes off again, not standby.

For the "always on standby" people, a Chromecast IS a good idea. Me? I just want to turn something on, a few buttons, watch the film.. but be able to cast to it if I wanted to play a SNES emulated game... on 55 inch... (Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana in huge screen... mmmmmm!)

Each to his own, of course - and my opinions commented above were only from my perspective.
6th March 2017, 09:11 PM |#114  
mik101's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 104
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffbutt

Yes - I know that... but there ARE some "??cast" devices" (MyCast, EzCast (clone), etc) that ONLY have a wifi SSID to connect to - you have to disconnect from your router and connect to them to cast to it.

That was my comment - trying to get accurate info from sellers which of which their device is... and sifting through the lies and blather to get the answer.

One seller on EBay earned a modicum of respect - he answered directly that it was an SSID only device, no other connection possible.. At least he was honest an up front about it.


Yes - it's a bit like the roku channels but seems more useful - I'm on the EZCast forums.



Yes --to both parts.

There are plenty who just don't know what it can do and are afraid to experiment in case they bugger it somehow. But not liking something is not automatically "not understanding it".
DPReview camera forum is full of that sort of lunacy... if you dislike a particular chosen "god camera" then you "don't understand it and should go back to point n shoot".. LOL - you sort of started to remind be of that cesspit of a place...

Sorry for being a little offensive - but I REALLY dislike that "don't like = don't understand" attitude. BUT, I do agree that there are people who are like that.


I'd rate it a lot higher if it had even just a bare-bones basic interface, minimalist GUI - this "access only from tablet (or phone, etc)" thing is silly.
OK - it;s mostly used to stream from a tablet, OK... but you still need the tablet to start its own "internal" access thing, YTube, etc.



I confess to preferring a little more flexibility - having to start up the tablet to tell the thing to watch "XYZ" seems somewhat limited.
I think, maybe, it;s ME - most people have their phone to tabs always on, standby...

I killed (BWAAA ha ha ha ha !!!) my Sony Xperia Z3 (yes, it felt THAT good to get that &^%^&&^% &*^& DEAD)... so that's out... and I think I only turn my Galaxy Tab S2 on about three times a week... and it goes off again, not standby.

For the "always on standby" people, a Chromecast IS a good idea. Me? I just want to turn something on, a few buttons, watch the film.. but be able to cast to it if I wanted to play a SNES emulated game... on 55 inch... (Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana in huge screen... mmmmmm!)

Each to his own, of course - and my opinions commented above were only from my perspective.

It's all good. I too love me some NES/SNES cast to either the EZcast or the Chromecast via Android mirroring. The Z2 was great with built in support for Sixaxis controllers, but Sony removed that support in the MM update, so now I'm using the Sixaxis controller app off market to effectively do the same thing since I don't have a ps4 controller. Of course they left internal support for that one. It was just nice not to need any third party software to do it before except for the emulator itself. Cheers.
7th March 2017, 11:49 AM |#115  
Senior Member
Flag Morpeth
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik101

It's all good. I too love me some NES/SNES cast to either the EZcast or the Chromecast via Android mirroring. The Z2 was great with built in support for Sixaxis controllers, but Sony removed that support in the MM update, so now I'm using the Sixaxis controller app off market to effectively do the same thing since I don't have a ps4 controller. Of course they left internal support for that one. It was just nice not to need any third party software to do it before except for the emulator itself. Cheers.

Why did they remove some function? Seems dumb.
Same with Sammsung and the Tab2 9.7 -- no MHL. But that might be a function of the different SoC (Exynos to SnappyDragon) support chips?

I use a BT controller - "El Cheapo", £12 "BeBonCool" (what a name!) - works well.
Two sticks with button, four normal, direction pad, and 2x2 front bumper trigger.

Works with all the emulators, even the N64 (with a little remapping to match the yellow N64 controller buttons and "Z")
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
chromecast, ezcast, miracast

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes