FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

MediaTek driver sourcecode (want custom ROMs? read this!)

155 posts
Thanks Meter: 47

By Unrelashade, Senior Member on 4th February 2014, 04:32 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Even though it was said that the Fairphone will be completely open, the sourcecode of the MediaTek chip (MT6589M) is still not available (update: that was true for the time of writing. Luckily as of now, sourcecode is available and a custom ROM is in the making, see Developtment and Original Development Subforums). The link to the linux sourcecode except for the MediaTek part is here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemier

Here's our next step in providing developer resources. Happy to present to XDA: Fairphone OS Linux kernel source code package. Please let us know issues, problems, questions!

We've put together this package with all our downloads of Fairphone OS and stock Android 4.2.2.

We're eager to see what you all can do with it. Thanks for your patience as we got it up. Enjoy!

Great to see that. However, we need MediaTek sourcecode for custom ROMs if we don't want to reverse engineer (which is a lot of hard work and may even be considered a gray area on legality, I think)

Thanks to @dbrgn for bringing this up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrgn

@joemier any plans to release the mediatek sources? Without them, not much will happen here...

If I'm not mistaken the mediatek kernel modules were written explicitly for Linux/Android. In which case, according to Linus Torvalds, they would have to be licensed under the GPL license:

Quote:

That doesn't mean that I would accept just any kind of binary-only module: there are cases where something would be so obviously Linux-specific that it simply wouldn't make sense without the Linux kernel. In those cases, it would also obviously be a derived work, and as such the above excuses don't really apply any more, and it falls under the GPL license.

(source linuxmafia.com/faq/Kernel/proprietary-kernel-modules.html)

So
  1. Petition for MediaTek to release the sourcecode
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/a...iatek-devices/
  2. Does anyone know if it's possible to persuade MediaTek to release the code, because they use Linux (GPL)?
  3. Why don't they release the code? Can it be exploited or do they think there is a risk this can be used against them by other companies? Or do they just not care to do a little work?

Sony has managed to release the sourcecode of the MediaTek inside the Xperia C
http://developer.sonymobile.com/down...d-16-0-a-0-36/
So we and Fairphone can do it too!

(Mistake by me, it's just the kernel. Thanks chrmhoffmann for pointing it out)
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Unrelashade For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Unrelashade Ad-Free

4th February 2014, 04:39 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Yes, we definitely need the full sources. One of the reasons why I bought the Fairphone was its alleged openness. If we can't get the Mediatek sources, the promise of a "completely open phone" is nothing but empty words.
The Following User Says Thank You to dbrgn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dbrgn Ad-Free
4th February 2014, 10:55 PM |#3  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 3,117

More
That Sony code is just the kernel. It's clearly stated on that page you link to.

Chris

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to chrmhoffmann For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th February 2014, 08:28 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 20

More

More threads about this:
  1. Operation RMD - To Support & Reward our MTK SoC Developers: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2164959
  2. OmniROM For MTK Devices: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2483238
  3. MTK 6577 Sources [Complete]: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2560714

The Following User Says Thank You to JY-G3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JY-G3 Ad-Free
10th February 2014, 06:45 AM |#5  
Retired Senior Moderator / Mod. Cttee. Retired - The Dark Knight
Flag Watching from the Shadows
Thanks Meter: 19,507

More
You guys have to remember any device out of China is not going to be held to the GPL.

Bat cave One
10th February 2014, 04:37 PM |#6  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,507

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrgn

Yes, we definitely need the full sources. One of the reasons why I bought the Fairphone was its alleged openness. If we can't get the Mediatek sources, the promise of a "completely open phone" is nothing but empty words.

Promising openness and choosing an MTK chip are completely conflicting right now.

MTK is one of the least open source friendly chipset providers out there.
1) Their kernel is often full of binary blob modules. Sadly, in many cases, blob modules ARE legal. See the infamous Samsung FSR driver on the GalaxyS family.
2) Their kernel source code is a disorganized mess
3) If you have a friendly OEM that will leak MTK's complete Android build tree to you:
a) They will only build as-is with an oddball and VASTLY outdated Ubuntu configuration
b) They're an even more disorganized mess than the kernel sources and will cause severe brain damage if you try to read/understand them without taking breaks to work with a less screwed up source tree
c) Even their OEMs only get statically linked binaries for many components. For example their hwcomposer "source" is just a wrapper around a blob
d) They have yet to support an Android release newer than 4.2 - partly because it looks like they initially wrote stuff for Android 1.x and have never updated their sources properly to fit in with newer versions of Android. (They have been hacking Android sources to be compatible with their junk instead of the other way around). For example, they still don't use device trees.

Even with an OEM that is cooperating significantly with developers (like Oppo), working with MTK devices is slow and extremely agonizing.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th February 2014, 02:21 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Kernel Source ??
Good day everyone,

I was looking around for useful information and I stumbled over this -> https://github.com/varunchitre15/MT6589_kernel_source
Maybe I'm wrong but isn't that what everyone is looking for?
If not... well I'm sorry about pointing out the wrong stuff

Cheers,
12th February 2014, 07:01 PM |#8  
Flag Owego, NY

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancdix

Good day everyone,

I was looking around for useful information and I stumbled over this -> https://github.com/varunchitre15/MT6589_kernel_source
Maybe I'm wrong but isn't that what everyone is looking for?
If not... well I'm sorry about pointing out the wrong stuff

Cheers,

no

Seriously, did you even bother to read the earlier posts in this thread?
13th February 2014, 09:03 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Thumbs up
Quote:

Thank you very much for your kind response.
Anyone wants a Fairphone? Gonna sell mine.

And it's gone Nexus 5 here I come.
14th February 2014, 12:34 PM |#10  
Flag Utrecht
Thanks Meter: 2

More
There are new sources posted on the Fairphone website. See the thread with technical details.

Hope it is complete now, as the first compilation attempt failed...
14th February 2014, 07:49 PM |#11  
Flag Owego, NY

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingoKid

There are new sources posted on the Fairphone website. See the thread with technical details.

Hope it is complete now, as the first compilation attempt failed...

Kernel source is better than many MTK OEMs, but it'll still at best get you custom kernels. AOSP-derivative builds (CM, Omni, etc.) are right now far away.

(In case you haven't figured out - some of the Omni developers have a "complete" MT6589 source tree. I use "complete" in quotes because while it will build 4.2 on a properly configured machine, it is a mix and match of tons of blobs and all sorts of horrible hacks that result in it being a nightmare to integrate into any 4.3/4.4 AOSP-based project. Yes, even with an OEM giving us everything they have access to we're barely able to get 4.4 to boot on MT6589.)

https://gerrit.omnirom.org/#/q/statu...pic:mt6589,n,z for an example of the terribad hacks required to get it even to boot
The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
mediatek, sourcecode

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)