[PROJECT][PORT] GNU softwares on Android [15/02/2014 updated]

Search This thread

alireza7991

Sep 2, 2012
Shahrekord
alirezafn.net
About​

Android has being used in almost all type of devices from tiny smart watches to tablets , smart TVs and portable eboards like mk802 . It seems a complete operating system in term of games and useful applications but sth whichI think is a huge problem is that Android has very small parts of GNU, this makes Android not to be comfortable for advanced users , developers and programmers . also this would be a huge problem for users like me who do not access to their PCs but they want to have some capabilities in their phone . all this reasons made me to think about porting softwares from PC to my tiny Galaxy S Plus . but I had no PC and this was my huge problem in this road. finally I could get a small compiler and start porting more bigger softwares then I decided to make a project called GNU softwares on Android and gather all softwares under one project.

Features / list of Softwares​

all softwares are :

* Fully compiled with GCC 4.8.1/4.8.2 with Hardware floating point abi for better performance even comparing to similar smaller ones in busybox !
* Staticly linked with Musl Libc which is a lot more faster than Android's bionic or GNU's glibc with smaller size which makes them be small a lot more.
* Updated to latest ones in official repositories.

list of available softwares in my repository :

-bash -> a shell
-dash (not official GNU software but licenced under GPL) -> a shell
-patch -> generating patch files
-pexec -> parralel executing
-sed -> non-interactive stream editor
-grep -> finding patterns in files/streams
-gzip -> gnu z77 compressions algorithm implementation
-make -> makefile handler for creating automated build systems
-tar -> gnu tar archive software
-inet-utils -> utils for working with net (some utils of thid software has not been included)
-gawk -> gnu awk implementation
-marst -> algorithm 2 c convertor
-wget -> downloading files trough many protocols with proxy support
-units -> convert many units to each other

Downloading & Installation​

All softwares are stored in my public repository HERE

* For installing get softwares from their forlder in the repository , then unzip them and copy binaries to /system/xbin .
* For net related softwares there is also a reslov.conf which should be pushed to /etc/

Changelog​

--------15/02/2014:

*gzip: added new utilities and updated to R2.
*gzip: added new documentations to public repository.
*dash: disabled builtin printf to let ROM's printf be used instead.

---------14/02/2014

*initial release.

Disclaimer​

We distribute softwares in the hope that it will be useful, but without any warranty. No author or distributor of this software accepts responsibility to anyone for the consequences of using it or for whether it serves any particular purpose or works at all, unless they say so in writing. This is exactly the same warranty that proprietary software companies offer: none

Help the project​

maintaining a project with 2 millon lines of a code on a mobile is too difficult. this makes compiling large softwares like gcc impossible so I strongly need a donated VPS/dedicated server.

Last edited:

aLNG

Jul 2, 2011
Munich
Great will try this

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Edit : because of busyboy installed in system/xbin, so I have to put the binaries in system/bin. and what can I say, ITS WORKING GREAT!

Last edited:
Reactions: alireza7991

eimoc

Sep 12, 2012
I've tried to push this file to xbin grep, patch, sed, tar and wget, but I got this : destination file exists. Enter new name. (These files from busybox)

So, what I have to do? Should I overwrite the file?

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk

alireza7991

Sep 2, 2012
Shahrekord
alirezafn.net
I've tried to push this file to xbin grep, patch, sed, tar and wget, but I got this : destination file exists. Enter new name. (These files from busybox)

So, what I have to do? Should I overwrite the file?

1- rename files to another thing , e.g. patch -> gnu.patch
or
2- remove busybox ones(/system/xbin/*) and replace GNU ones . It's completely safe .

don't forget to push resolv.conf to /etc/ for wget.

Reactions: M0RT3ZA

eimoc

Sep 12, 2012
1- rename files to another thing , e.g. patch -> gnu.patch
or
2- remove busybox ones(/system/xbin/*) and replace GNU ones . It's completely safe .

don't forget to push resolv.conf to /etc/ for wget.

When I pushed resolving.conf to system/etc, I'm also getting the msg that the same file name exist.
Is there any suggestions? Tq

alireza7991

Sep 2, 2012
Shahrekord
alirezafn.net
When I pushed resolving.conf to system/etc, I'm also getting the msg that the same file name exist.
Is there any suggestions? Tq

no , I think you understood my post incorrectly;

do this steps :

1- Copy GNU softwares to /system/xbin/ and replace them with busybox ones.
2- If you are installing a wget or inet-utils then also copy resolv.conf to /system/etc

Reactions: M0RT3ZA

RayySP

Apr 11, 2013
Toa Payoh
Hi alireza7991,

I'm new to all this and I'm interested in trying it out. Does this work on Samsung Galaxy Note II LTE? And if it does, do I need to download all the files and use it on my device? :/

alireza7991

Sep 2, 2012
Shahrekord
alirezafn.net
Hi alireza7991,

I'm new to all this and I'm interested in trying it out. Does this work on Samsung Galaxy Note II LTE? And if it does, do I need to download all the files and use it on my device? :/

Hi

1- It works on almost all devices with linux kernel and an ARM processor.

2- no, This is like Google play, you have a set of softwares available and you can install any softwares you want.

Reactions: M0RT3ZA and RayySP

JOKERz

Feb 4, 2008
Grave
kewl its working....
how about nano or vim? is it possible?

btw i already have wget installed, i think it come from busybox

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    About​

Android has being used in almost all type of devices from tiny smart watches to tablets , smart TVs and portable eboards like mk802 . It seems a complete operating system in term of games and useful applications but sth whichI think is a huge problem is that Android has very small parts of GNU, this makes Android not to be comfortable for advanced users , developers and programmers . also this would be a huge problem for users like me who do not access to their PCs but they want to have some capabilities in their phone . all this reasons made me to think about porting softwares from PC to my tiny Galaxy S Plus . but I had no PC and this was my huge problem in this road. finally I could get a small compiler and start porting more bigger softwares then I decided to make a project called GNU softwares on Android and gather all softwares under one project.

Features / list of Softwares​

all softwares are :

* Fully compiled with GCC 4.8.1/4.8.2 with Hardware floating point abi for better performance even comparing to similar smaller ones in busybox !
    * Staticly linked with Musl Libc which is a lot more faster than Android's bionic or GNU's glibc with smaller size which makes them be small a lot more.
    * Updated to latest ones in official repositories.

list of available softwares in my repository :

-bash -> a shell
    -dash (not official GNU software but licenced under GPL) -> a shell
    -patch -> generating patch files
    -pexec -> parralel executing
    -sed -> non-interactive stream editor
    -grep -> finding patterns in files/streams
    -gzip -> gnu z77 compressions algorithm implementation
    -make -> makefile handler for creating automated build systems
    -tar -> gnu tar archive software
    -inet-utils -> utils for working with net (some utils of thid software has not been included)
    -gawk -> gnu awk implementation
    -marst -> algorithm 2 c convertor
    -wget -> downloading files trough many protocols with proxy support
    -units -> convert many units to each other

Downloading & Installation​

All softwares are stored in my public repository HERE

* For installing get softwares from their forlder in the repository , then unzip them and copy binaries to /system/xbin .
    * For net related softwares there is also a reslov.conf which should be pushed to /etc/

Changelog​

--------15/02/2014:

*gzip: added new utilities and updated to R2.
    *gzip: added new documentations to public repository.
    *dash: disabled builtin printf to let ROM's printf be used instead.

---------14/02/2014

*initial release.

Disclaimer​

We distribute softwares in the hope that it will be useful, but without any warranty. No author or distributor of this software accepts responsibility to anyone for the consequences of using it or for whether it serves any particular purpose or works at all, unless they say so in writing. This is exactly the same warranty that proprietary software companies offer: none

Help the project​

maintaining a project with 2 millon lines of a code on a mobile is too difficult. this makes compiling large softwares like gcc impossible so I strongly need a donated VPS/dedicated server.

Project updated;

see OP for changelog and check repository for latest binaries and documentations.
    @alireza7991 : Can you please update or remove your link and put your stuff on GitHub or some other place that work, because that crappy server of yours simply don't work! Sorry, don't take it personally. Your compiles are awesome but useless, unless we can actually download them...

I'm working on a very bigger project which includes all this stuff + lot's of new things.that's the reason I do not update links anymore. as soon as the new project made ready this topic will redirect to that project. so plz wait till I make everything ready.

http://os.alirezafn.net
    Project's files has been moved to a new powerful server with 1 GB RAM which is about 3X faster than pervious server.

please use this url to get files in new server:

http://afn7991.tk/goa