FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor View 10

[Q] MTP XP Driver

180 posts
Thanks Meter: 27

By Robbzilla, Senior Member on 28th September 2012, 09:09 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I attempted to search for this issue, and while there are many similar issues, I haven't actually seen a resolution for this:

I need the MTP driver for Windows XP. I've gotten the other 2 drivers up & running, but not the MTP. Anyone able to provide a link for a working MTP driver for my Nexus 7?
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbzilla For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Robbzilla Ad-Free

29th September 2012, 11:14 AM |#2  
Flag Bordeaux
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I guess you have to install Windows Media Player (this is only possible with a genuine Windows).
Personally I use AirDroid to transfer files. ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....sand.airdroid )
1st October 2012, 09:19 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by goebish

I guess you have to install Windows Media Player (this is only possible with a genuine Windows).
Personally I use AirDroid to transfer files. ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....sand.airdroid )

I already have Media Player 11 on there. No go.

AirDroid isn't an option as we only have WiFi at work on our outside LAN and our computers are all behind the firewall.
1st October 2012, 10:50 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 56

More
i had this issue recently.

do you have USB debugging turned on? if so, turn it off.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mrhomiec For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrhomiec Ad-Free
8th October 2012, 04:51 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhomiec

i had this issue recently.

do you have USB debugging turned on? if so, turn it off.

Yeah. No luck.
30th October 2012, 04:43 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
@mrhomiec
Yes, I turn USB debugging off and try re-installing the driver again and it is working fine now. Many thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbctiong For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jbctiong Ad-Free
10th November 2012, 01:49 AM |#7  
Flag Bristol
Thanks Meter: 2

More
After ages trying to root my Nexus 7 and repeatedly un/re-installing of drivers using various 'toolkits' and then finally succeeding, I was upset to see this problem in Device Manager.

Seeing mrhomiec's excellent solution in the first thread I looked at was a great relief. Many thanks!
22nd February 2013, 10:54 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Media Transfer Protocol Porting Kit
I know this is super old but just in case anyone searched this for help, You might try downloading the Media Transfer Protocol Porting Kit

Heard this works. If you Google search "Microsoft MTP" it will be the first result. I can't post links so that's the best I can give you guys.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twista4004 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift twista4004 Ad-Free
12th March 2013, 10:52 PM |#9  
The Cybersphere
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista4004

I know this is super old but just in case anyone searched this for help, You might try downloading the Media Transfer Protocol Porting Kit

Heard this works. If you Google search "Microsoft MTP" it will be the first result. I can't post links so that's the best I can give you guys.

It helped. Even if the posts are old, there's always someone looking for a solution. Thanks!
8th May 2013, 03:25 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 155

More
MTP working with XP
Here is what I had to do to get MTP working with XP SP3:

1: Download and install MTPPK12

2: Download and intall Media Player 11

3: Connect the N7 to the PC via the USB cable and set USB to MTP instead of "Camera".

4: Open "Settings" and turn off "USB debugging".

5pen "Device Manager" on the PC and look for "Android Device". If you find and entry for an "ADB" device, uninstall the driver. Unplug the N7 and plug it back in. The PC should now find a device titled "Nexus 7" and install the driver. Open "My Computer" and "Nexus 7" should now be listed and ready to transfer files.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lewmur For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lewmur Ad-Free
5th June 2013, 09:41 AM |#11  
Flag Cologne
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Angry A little something to get USB-Debugging working
Hey guys,

for those who want to use their precious Android with enabled USB-debugging at a Win XP system:

1. get some drivers that work fine without enabled debugging (for HTC disciples: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2191279 ) and install them.

2. switch your device to usb-debugging and look up the exact hardware-ID @ your device manager (device manager -> android device -> details -> hardware ID) - keep that window open for you'll need the exact key

3. Search the installed drivers (for me it was C:\Programme\HTC\HTC Driver\Driver Files\XP_x86) and edit the 'androidusb.inf'.

4. In the file, look for the 'Device Section' and scroll way down to the 'For XP and later' section. Here you copy the first entry and paste in your hardwareID.

For me, I took:
Quote:

%USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C01&MI_01.DeviceDescRelease%=HT CAND32.Dev, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C01&MI_01

and changed it to:
Quote:

%USB\VID_18D1&PID_2D02&MI_01.DeviceDescRelease%=HT CAND32.Dev, USB\VID_18D1&PID_2D02&MI_01

5. Next scroll down until you find the '[Strings]' section. Here you do the same thing as before:
Copy the first entry and edit it according to your hardwareID.

For me, I took:
Quote:

USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C01.DeviceDescRelease="My HTC"

and changed it to:
Quote:

USB\VID_18D1&PID_2D02.DeviceDescRelease="My HTC ONE"

(you are free to name it what ever you want )

Next you'll need to scroll down until the patten changes from
Quote:

USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C01.DeviceDescRelease="My HTC"

to
Quote:

USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C01&MI_01.DeviceDescRelease="My HTC"

here you'll need to copy the first entry again and edit it to match your needs. Just copy the device name you have entered before.

6. Finally you can install the drivers manually via your device manager. Just choose your pimped androidusb.inf as driver and you should be able to work with your android phone at usb-debugging (for example for MyPhoneExplorer).

Of cause I am not responsible if you wreck your Win XP / your drivers so don't overdo it. If you don't know what you are doing, do it like the Beatles and 'let it be'
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doomhendi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift doomhendi Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)