[Q] Battery Life = Androids greatest headache

Search This thread

Sirandar

Jan 16, 2011
My Samsung S3 battery goes from fully charged to "low battery" often before I get home from work. I just put up with it because troubleshooting Android is such a pain even with Better Battery Stats.

But by exceeding my data quota this month I see exactly what the problem is. Android 4.3 disabled data last night because I went over my quota.

It is now 6:02PM and my battery is at 82% when it would usually be at 5% by now. I still used my phone almost exactly the same amount as I have a desktop at work. My battery usually goes down to 5% just doing nothing in my pocket and making a few calls and texts and some music listening.

My poor battery life is due to all the data transfer bull Google is doing in the background every day.

Better battery stats can identify the process like Bam_dmux or fast dormancy, but it doesn't tell you which apps are actually calling the wakelock.

If Android did keep proper track of this I am sure many apps would be deleted (including Google Apps) from phone in a instant.

But it is too much trouble to try to figure out which one it is so we just put up with 6 hour standby battery life when the manufacturer claims 72 hours.

What a mess ..... I am going to have to research "restrict background data" now to waste more of my time.

Looking at Data Usage in setting doesn't help much because it only tells how much not how often

HaHaHaHa: Google Search on = android "restrict background data" gives 192,000 hits

Does anyone know a good site or method to do this?

Last edited:

Sirandar

Jan 16, 2011
Fixed Battery Issue

Well I managed to solve my battery problems at least until the next round of updates.

Previously ..... Galaxy S3 goes from full battery to empty by about 4:00PM in the workday ... mostly phone is sitting in my pocket. No surfing, occasional call.

Then I blocked background data for:

1) Play Store (I am tired of useless updates anyway)
2) Medscape
3) MPR
4) EMAIL ( confirmed this does not affect Gmail notifications )

Then Removed Accounts:
1) All associated with Samsung
2) WeChat and program

So only Accounts for Dropbox, Google, Scribd and Whatsup are left

Nothing else changed

It's 10:00PM and I still have 60% battery ..... sometimes getting pissed helps as I have been putting up with this for a month.

Unfortunately I don't know which were the offenders.

My Samsung S3 battery goes from fully charged to "low battery" often before I get home from work. I just put up with it because troubleshooting Android is such a pain even with Better Battery Stats.

But by exceeding my data quota this month I see exactly what the problem is. Android 4.3 disabled data last night because I went over my quota.

It is now 6:02PM and my battery is at 82% when it would usually be at 5% by now. I still used my phone almost exactly the same amount as I have a desktop at work. My battery usually goes down to 5% just doing nothing in my pocket and making a few calls and texts and some music listening.

My poor battery life is due to all the data transfer bull Google is doing in the background every day.

Better battery stats can identify the process like Bam_dmux or fast dormancy, but it doesn't tell you which apps are actually calling the wakelock.

If Android did keep proper track of this I am sure many apps would be deleted (including Google Apps) from phone in a instant.

But it is too much trouble to try to figure out which one it is so we just put up with 6 hour standby battery life when the manufacturer claims 72 hours.

What a mess ..... I am going to have to research "restrict background data" now to waste more of my time.

Looking at Data Usage in setting doesn't help much because it only tells how much not how often

HaHaHaHa: Google Search on = android "restrict background data" gives 192,000 hits

Last edited:

Sirandar

Jan 16, 2011
Day5

Since I made these changes my battery life has been greater than 60% every single night no matter how much I use the phone. Maybe it was WeChat.....

Sirandar

Jan 16, 2011
Play Store Issues from the OP

My battery life bliss was cut short by issues with my gmail account and sync probably caused my "restrict background data" on the play store.

Previously restricting background data on Play Store and WeChat improved my battery life from 100%-0 in 8 hours to 100% to 90% in 8 hours

BUT

This seems to cause issues with gmail and Google sync. Neither would work and I had to uninstall and clear data for both to get them working again. It said the sync was "experiencing difficulties".

Uninstalling and reinstalling gmail and play seems to have fixed my battery issues .... even without background data restrictions.