Upgrades and other devices discussion here

Search This thread
Hello,
I have an AT&T S4 Active, SGH-I537. I have been able to root it, but haven't gone on to put on a custom ROM because the last I heard, the jackwagons at AT&T locked the phone down. But it looks like it is possible to do this now, but I am not sure because the forum posts are not clear. Is this possible?

If so, I am looking for something very fast, light and clean and for all the hardware to work. Is this available?

Thanks for any help!
You have to use SafeStrap. There are limitations to the types of ROMs you can use, so make sure you read before you do anything.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2448942

Reactions: spdivr

dragonettii

Jan 10, 2010
A little lost

Hi Everyone, haven't been active for a long time, but I've just got an S4 Active SGH-I537 running 4.4.2. I know I need to root but i'm not easily finding the necessary material or guides, found an odin thread here but he redirects away to the S4 active section and I can't find anything from there.

I also want to flash, I realise that the recovery is locked down but I see some safe strap info that says I can at least flash a version of Samsung/at&t's rom running TouchWiz.

Any info or pointers would be very helpful, thanks in advance

Hi Everyone, haven't been active for a long time, but I've just got an S4 Active SGH-I537 running 4.4.2. I know I need to root but i'm not easily finding the necessary material or guides, found an odin thread here but he redirects away to the S4 active section and I can't find anything from there.

I also want to flash, I realise that the recovery is locked down but I see some safe strap info that says I can at least flash a version of Samsung/at&t's rom running TouchWiz.

Any info or pointers would be very helpful, thanks in advance

To root the most recent firmware (NH3), you need to follow the directions at this site. Make sure you download the files for the i537, not any other phone. In summary from stock NH3, you use Odin to flash the previous (NE3) kernel, use towelroot to gain root, and then use Odin to flash the most current kernel again. Read the website, the instructions will guide you.

Download SafeStrap here. The installer is just a normal .apk file, you install it like a normal app, open the app and follow the prompts.

This is how you deodex the stock rom once you're rooted and have safestrap installed, if you're interested.

Reactions: dragonettii

dragonettii

Jan 10, 2010
To root the most recent firmware (NH3), you need to follow the directions at this site. Make sure you download the files for the i537, not any other phone. In summary from stock NH3, you use Odin to flash the previous (NE3) kernel, use towelroot to gain root, and then use Odin to flash the most current kernel again. Read the website, the instructions will guide you.

Download SafeStrap here. The installer is just a normal .apk file, you install it like a normal app, open the app and follow the prompts.

This is how you deodex the stock rom once you're rooted and have safestrap installed, if you're interested.

Thanks a mil for the pointers, always loved the xda community, first link which I assume is the most critical is broken however. If you have any other link to the info and guide would much appreciate. I'll try to see if I can follow what's happening there from any other angles.

dragonettii

Jan 10, 2010

Got the links working around my company's firewall, however when odin tries to flash the I537_ROOT_Ker_W0lfDroid.tar.md5 file it fails. Kicks back and error that says
<ID:0/005> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
it also seems to have installed SuperSU in the process, I assumed it's supposed to do that, which means it did try something and actually failed. Anyone who has experience with this particular error please give me whatever advice you can.

Last edited:

v0danh

Jan 25, 2012
Question.

am currently running FW 4.4.2 (XSI) United Arab Emerates on GT-I9295

i was wondering if i can upgrade it to 5.0.1 United Kingdom FW?

reason being is, phone currently has issue with the "phone.apk" when making call, there's no sound, restart a few time it would work for a little bit, (skype/viber is working). and when receiving call, i could not hear anything, the other end will hear static.
sometime works sometime don't, it was working even after i updated my FW to 4.4.2, then 3-4month down the track it start to play up, even try uninstall other calling app, i tried restore FW to factory default. wipe the unit's cache. work for a little bit, and now some widgets not working properly, often get error for "has stopped" unless i disable those widget.
was hoping its a FW issue with the device, and 5.0.1 will fix the issues.

anyone else experience symptoms like above? share your experience.

thanks

T

dkeepitabuck

Mar 2, 2014
Queen City
Time to upgrade. I've had this S4 active for a little over 2 yrs. I'm actually in the process of getting it unlocked. My new device will be a Moto X Pure.

mcnova92

Mar 26, 2016
I have an S4 Active I537 which I recently installed the rooted deoxed OC7 Lollipop firmware. I have been having a hard time trying to get the Xposed framework to install.
Please any help
Also can I upgraded my Samsung i537 to mash mellow

Reactions: adeptustech
I have an S4 Active I537 which I recently installed the rooted deoxed OC7 Lollipop firmware. I have been having a hard time trying to get the Xposed framework to install.
Please any help

No, there is no way to upgrade the i537 to marshmallow. STOP POSTING THE SAME QUESTION TO 10 DIFFERENT THREADS. You have no idea how irritating that is. If you had bothered using the search function, you might've come across this useful post (I found it in 10 seconds): http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64615107&postcount=573

Edit: REALLY??!! You're posting this question to Galaxy S5 threads now, how could you possibly think that would get the answer you're looking for??

And you posted this dumb cookie cutter post to a Galaxy S3 forum thread, dude take the time to learn how to use this forum correctly, this is juvenile behavior.

To elaborate, the i537 cannot be upgraded to marshmallow because there has been no official marshmallow release for this specific phone (and almost certainly never will be). This means a custom rom with a custom kernel would be required to run marshmallow, but the bootloader is locked down on this phone and unlockable. A locked bootloader means you simply cannot install a custom kernel on this phone, it will not boot if you try. Only custom roms that can run on the stock kernel can work on this phone; marshmallow will not run on the stock 5.0.1 (lollipop) kernel, therefore this phone cannot run marshmallow. This is why locked bootloaders suck

Last edited:

mcnova92

Mar 26, 2016
No, there is no way to upgrade the i537 to marshmallow. STOP POSTING THE SAME QUESTION TO 10 DIFFERENT THREADS. You have no idea how irritating that is. If you had bothered using the search function, you might've come across this useful post (I found it in 10 seconds): http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64615107&postcount=573

Edit: REALLY??!! You're posting this question to Galaxy S5 threads now, how could you possibly think that would get the answer you're looking for??

And you posted this dumb cookie cutter post to a Galaxy S3 forum thread, dude take the time to learn how to use this forum correctly, this is juvenile behavior.

To elaborate, the i537 cannot be upgraded to marshmallow because there has been no official marshmallow release for this specific phone (and almost certainly never will be). This means a custom rom with a custom kernel would be required to run marshmallow, but the bootloader is locked down on this phone and unlockable. A locked bootloader means you simply cannot install a custom kernel on this phone, it will not boot if you try. Only custom roms that can run on the stock kernel can work on this phone; marshmallow will not run on the stock 5.0.1 (lollipop) kernel, therefore this phone cannot run marshmallow. This is why locked bootloaders suck

Thanks for the info
Sorry for the reposting, just needed some answers, I'm amateur

Last edited:

i9295

Apr 5, 2016
hello people
could you please help me
what can i do with my s4 active to make battery last longer?
i am not sure if only the battery is already old or is lollipop draining it more than it shoud?
i have lollipop official
should i downgrade to kitkat?
which one, official too?
should i root?
i would like to be able to block apps from going online, currently i am using no root firewall.
i would also like not to have any problems with custom roms
thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please any help

Doubt it, why would they?

No, for the following reasons:

My phone's already water resistant and dust resistant.
    I already have a 3000mah (zero lemon) battery (200mah larger than S5).
    I don't want a finger scanner or heart rate sensor.
    While the processing power would be nice, my phone (with CM10.2 and other tweaks) already benches higher on AnTuTu than any other devices average (except phablets). Should last me a while.
    While I would really like a better camera, I usually have a DSLR on me anyway, and this wasn't my main concern last time either.
    No real design changes?
    Is there any other hardware changes at all?

I will miss the updates and wider support that it would achieve though, but I'm willing to wait for a Note 4 for that.

S5 is like an inch upgrade of S4 Active, of course, with all the high end AMOLED, camera MP.. Basically that's it. S4 is cheaper and works well, especially coupled with some nice custom roms. BTW.. the 3000mah battery, the brand name is zero lemon??? Samsung doesn't have a larger capacity battery for S4 active. :crying:
    Ive ported the at&t 4.3 stock rom to the i9295 but 3 things not working :crying:

WIFI and Ril (calls ,messages,etc)

Camera :D

hope i can upload a test build soon !
    Current state of custom ROMs on S4 Active?

Hello,
    I have an AT&T S4 Active, SGH-I537. I have been able to root it, but haven't gone on to put on a custom ROM because the last I heard, the jackwagons at AT&T locked the phone down. But it looks like it is possible to do this now, but I am not sure because the forum posts are not clear. Is this possible?

If so, I am looking for something very fast, light and clean and for all the hardware to work. Is this available?

Thanks for any help!
    Hello,

Thanks for any help!
    You have to use SafeStrap. There are limitations to the types of ROMs you can use, so make sure you read before you do anything.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2448942