[Q] Using accelerometer to perform actions

Search This thread

L473ncy

Jun 8, 2012
BC, Canada
So I'm in the preliminary stages of doing an experimental HCI project for a capstone course. I have no android (java) coding experience but I do have background in C++, Python, and QT so I'm hoping to be able to pick up java relatively fast.

Anyways, the idea of my project relies on being able to take accelerometer readings to determine device tilt in the X and Y axis (as documented in the SensorEvent section in the Android Reference guide) and pipe it into an app such as Google Maps to perform a certain action (in this case I'm tying to pan the map).

I know there are games that use the accelerometer to determine tilt that exist out there (eg. Minion Rush when collecting bananas on the unicorn) so it should be well documented I'm hoping....

Is it possible to make an app that's a "skeleton" over Google Maps and when the app detects certain orientations of the phone to execute the appropriate function. eg. To pan in the direction the phone is tilted? It looks like there's the "CameraUpdateFactory.scrollBy(float, float)" function to pan the map that takes 2 floats as arguments can I take the accelerometer readings (X and Y) and plug them into this function? I'm somewhat familiar with QT signals and slots, is there something like that that exists in Android app development so when the phone is tilted past a certain angle it will emit a signal that can be captured and plugged into the above function?

Also can anyone point me to any HCI research papers that may deal with this topic or keywords to be searching for?