[HOW TO][GUIDE] VPN Without Security Lockscreen

3,246 posts
Thanks Meter: 976

By cmlusco, Senior Member on 1st March 2014, 08:42 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I dont know how many other people out there use androids built in vpn, but i hate the fact that you are required to use a security screen (pattern, pin, password) to do so. I have found a way to bypass this if you are rooted. This has only been tested on the stock kk rooted ota. However i would think it is the same on almost any stock based rom.

This assumes you already have your vpn and a security screen setup and working.

Go to the market and download a root capable data base (db) editor. I use SQLite Editor which is a paid app, but im sure there are free ones too.

Open the db editor. SQLite Editor sorts it by the app (in this case Android System) the data base is associated with, others may not work this way and may require you to navigate to the db file directly (/data/system/locksettings.db).

Open locksettings.db and select the locksettings directory. Look for the line that says "lockscreen.password_type". Under the value colum it will show some random number. Select the line and edit the value to be 0 (zero). Save if required by your db app, and restart your phone.

When it reboots you should no longer have a security lock screen only the swipe up screen. When you go to settings - more - vpn, it will still say you need to setup a security lock. Hit CANCEL, and it will show you your list of setup vpn's. Select one and connect. Boom working vpn with no pattern, pin, password screen required.

To undo this just go to settings - security - screenlock, and setup a new lock pattern, pin, or password.

You can also disable the swipe up lock screen by editing the "lockscreen.disabled" value in the locksettings.db to be a 1 instead of a 0.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to cmlusco For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cmlusco Ad-Free
3rd March 2014, 06:48 PM |#2  
Senior Moderator
Flag Northern California
Thanks Meter: 7,072

Donate to Me
More
good write up, thank you sir.
3rd March 2014, 07:22 PM |#3  
Fremont
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Where did you get stock kk rooted?

Sent from my HTC One
3rd March 2014, 07:35 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Michigan City, IN

Donate to Me
More
I was already unlocked and s-off, so i ruu'd took the kk ota and then rooted it. But i believe santod has his thread in development where you can download the stock rooted kk rom.
24th April 2014, 12:35 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Smile an alternative method
An add-on alternative update for relevancy. Using Samsung Note 3 4.3 MJ7 stock rooted.

Firstly, thanks OP for a nice clear guide for all on how to do this theoretically.

This is an alternative for those who aren't able to purchase SQLite Editor:
1. get a good freeware SQLite editor like for example SQLite Studio @ w w w sqlitestudio.pl
2. copy following files from your phone to the PC using some form of file explorer or whatever methods you can think of
/data/system/locksettings.db
/data/system/locksettings.db-shm
/data/system/locksettings.db-wal
3. open up the editor, load the locksettings.db and modify like what OP has mentioned
4. you will notice that the new saved DB is going to be a single file instead so just replace this file back into your phone and delete the OTHER files
5. reboot and done.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ebackbone For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ebackbone Ad-Free
17th May 2014, 05:41 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Alternative method
found it on another forum

The process does not require rooting its more like a bug

worked on my i9300 with 4.3 firmware

1. Add a VPN
2. Lock the device with a pin
3. Enter the pin wrong 5 times
4. Press OK to the message that pops up
5 Press Forgot Pin
6. Sign into your Google Account
7. Select pin lock
8. Press cancel.

and now u got unlocked screen with working vpns
26th May 2014, 06:13 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 50

More
the method works, but after I reboot, when I enter VPN screen is aks me for "password for credential storage"... how can I solve? thanks in advance
8th June 2014, 01:57 AM |#8  
Flag Hobart
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirishiolo

the method works, but after I reboot, when I enter VPN screen is aks me for "password for credential storage"... how can I solve? thanks in advance

Yeah i have the same issue (nexus 10 rooted 4.4.3 stock)
8th June 2014, 04:22 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Michigan City, IN

Donate to Me
More
Hit cancel, and it should bypass it.
13th June 2014, 12:42 PM |#10  
Flag Munich
Thanks Meter: 441

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlusco

Hit cancel, and it should bypass it.

it should.... but it does not for me (Sony Xperia Z1 with CM11 4.4.3)
13th June 2014, 01:08 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by schickel

it should.... but it does not for me (Sony Xperia Z1 with CM11 4.4.3)

same for me, it does not work
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)