FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[DEV][TEMPLATE] AnyKernel3 - Easily Mod ROM Ramdisk + Pack Image.gz [Flashable Zip]

13,700 posts
Thanks Meter: 30,282

By osm0sis, Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor on 5th March 2014, 02:32 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
30th September 2019, 03:38 PM |#851  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 14,629

Donate to Me
More
Since Android 10 came out, my init for my kernel does not get extracted to "/" and does not get added to init.rc.
System as root problem or something else?
source: https://github.com/GZR-Kernels/Optim...0.0/AnyKernel3
30th September 2019, 04:56 PM |#852  
OP Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrCraft

Since Android 10 came out, my init for my kernel does not get extracted to "/" and does not get added to init.rc.
System as root problem or something else?
source: https://github.com/GZR-Kernels/Optim...0.0/AnyKernel3

Your device is likely SAR or 2SI now for Android 10 so you need to start using Magisk's overlay.d feature.

For further explanation and an example zip check out my posts and the attachment at the below link, as well as my updated best practice SAR link at the top of the AK3 thread OP.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=292
The Following User Says Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th October 2019, 03:50 PM |#853  
Recognized Developer
Flag Oof
Thanks Meter: 3,179

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by osm0sis

Your device is likely SAR or 2SI now for Android 10 so you need to start using Magisk's overlay.d feature.

For further explanation and an example zip check out my posts and the attachment at the below link, as well as my updated best practice SAR link at the top of the AK3 thread OP.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=292

Seems not to work with Android 10 SAR(root still on "/" ) and 2SI
6th October 2019, 11:11 PM |#854  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprimero15

Seems not to work with Android 10 SAR(root still on "/" ) and 2SI

overlay.d is a Magisk feature present on the latest beta and canaries. Works fine here.
7th October 2019, 05:34 AM |#855  
Recognized Developer
Flag Oof
Thanks Meter: 3,179

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

overlay.d is a Magisk feature present on the latest beta and canaries. Works fine here.

I need to use magiskboot from latest magisk canary?
7th October 2019, 09:11 AM |#856  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprimero15

I need to use magiskboot from latest magisk canary?

Nope. What's in AK3 is unrelated; like I said, it's a Magisk feature so for Android 10 a user would need to be on latest Magisk Beta/Canary and it should work fine adding things to overlay.d from AK3 if you set it up correctly.

Did you put it in ramdisk/overlay.d like the instructions and example zip show? Maybe post an installation log, your zip or debug .tgz instead of just saying "doesn't work".

https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/g...overlay-system
The Following User Says Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th October 2019, 11:56 AM |#857  
Thanks Meter: 117

More
Quote:

Nope. What's in AK3 is unrelated; like I said, it's a Magisk feature so for Android 10 a user would need to be on latest Magisk Beta/Canary and it should work fine adding things to overlay.d from AK3 if you set it up correctly.

Did you put it in ramdisk/overlay.d like the instructions and example zip show? Maybe post an installation log, your zip or debug .tgz instead of just saying "doesn't work".

https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/g...overlay-system

It is a bit confusing as new files according to below will be ignored (taken from above url)

"Non-existing files will be ignored (with exceptions detailed in the next point).
e.g. overlay.d/new_file will be ignored if /new_file does not exist"

Rright now most custom kernel put new rc files in ramdisk/overlay directory and new file is created by adding below lines
in your anykernel.sh (your commands as of AnyKernel3 did not work)

## AnyKernel file attributes
# set permissions/ownership for included ramdisk files
chmod -R 750 $ramdisk/*;
chmod -R 755 $overlay/init.qcom.rc;
chown -R root:shell $ramdisk/*;
8th October 2019, 04:13 PM |#858  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeft

It is a bit confusing as new files according to below will be ignored (taken from above url)

"Non-existing files will be ignored (with exceptions detailed in the next point).
e.g. overlay.d/new_file will be ignored if /new_file does not exist"

Rright now most custom kernel put new rc files in ramdisk/overlay directory and new file is created by adding below lines
in your anykernel.sh (your commands as of AnyKernel3 did not work)

## AnyKernel file attributes
# set permissions/ownership for included ramdisk files
chmod -R 750 $ramdisk/*;
chmod -R 755 $overlay/init.qcom.rc;
chown -R root:shell $ramdisk/*;

What's your point? That's why I explained how and when to switch to overlay.d in several posts now. It's up to developers to make the switch because I don't control their content.

What you're referring to isn't from any of my current best practices outlined in the linked post from the OP. In fact my commands work great, I've got an example zip which I'm using on my OP6T right now; maybe you should reread my last few posts above and the linked content.
8th October 2019, 05:03 PM |#859  

More
Quote:

What's your point? That's why I explained how and when to switch to overlay.d in several posts now. It's up to developers to make the switch because I don't control their content.

What you're referring to isn't from any of my current best practices outlined in the linked post from the OP. In fact my commands work great, I've got an example zip which I'm using on my OP6T right now; maybe you should reread my last few posts above and the linked content.

My apologies...I was referring to the AnyKernel3-master.zip from your github repo. Did not see the other zip you attached.
So in the zip fk-r22-SAR

init.fk.rc & init.performance_profiles.rc will be overwritten as they exist but init.special_power.sh will be created. Am I correct ?
10th October 2019, 12:09 AM |#860  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeft

My apologies...I was referring to the AnyKernel3-master.zip from your github repo. Did not see the other zip you attached.
So in the zip fk-r22-SAR

init.fk.rc & init.performance_profiles.rc will be overwritten as they exist but init.special_power.sh will be created. Am I correct ?

Nope. Per the Magisk documentation any .rc in overlay.d becomes appended to the live init.rc during boot (later hidden), and anything in overlay.d/sbin will be created. Anything at any other path will only replace if the file is already in the root when booted.
11th October 2019, 06:01 AM |#861  

More
Quote:

Nope. Per the Magisk documentation any .rc in overlay.d becomes appended to the live init.rc during boot (later hidden), and anything in overlay.d/sbin will be created. Anything at any other path will only replace if the file is already in the root when booted.

Yes you are right. I missed the concatenated in "All *.rc files in overlay.d will be read and concatenated AFTER init.rc"
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
anykernel, flashable zip, kernel, scripting, template

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)