UPDATE: Roms for ZP998 can also be flashed on the 9520, but make sure you don't flash the bootloader. If you flash the bootloader you will brick your phone!
My current experience is that flashing YunOS as base firmware and flashing a customized android stock rom using CWM recovery is working best for me.
Flashing with SP flash tools (See detailed tutorial here:
1. Install the Mediatek USB vcom drivers, which can be found here:
2. Download the firmware which is normally in an archive (.zip) file, extract the archive.
Inside this archive there should be a scatter file and the system.img, boot.img etc.
3. Download and open the SP Flash tool, which can be found here.
4. Select the scatter file of the extracted archive
5. Click on download
6. Turn off your phone, and connect your phone to the PC with your USB cable (Sometimes you maybe need to hold Volume UP while connecting).
7. Wait for the popup which shows Download OK.
List of firmware I've found that can be flashed using SP Flash tool:
YunOS - 3.2.1 (Official) (Mirror coming soon)
Stock android 4.2.2 (Seems a port of ZP998)
Install CWM recovery (Not tested):
Flash the following archive using SP Flash tool: flash_recovery.zip
Booting into recovery:
1. Turn of your phone
2. Connect your phone to the USB cable of your PC
3. It should show a battery icon that it's charging only
4. Press Volume up + power button at the same time for about 5 - 10 sec. (Note sequence is important :P)
Rooting with recovery:
1. Download SuperSU.zip and put it on your SD card
2. Boot into recovery
2. Apply zip from SD card, select SuperSU.zip
It's also possible to root by using the SP Flash tool.
I'm using this rom:
Custom Android 4.2.2 with lots of optimizations and Gapps included: http://bbs.ydss.cn/thread-388092-1-1.html
Download link: 9520_4.2.2_optimized.zip
1. Flash Yunos 2.3.1 firmware using SP Flash tool
2. Install recovery
3. Place 9520_4.2.2_optimized.zip on your sd card
4. Boot into recovery
5. Apply zip from SD card
A Chinese BBS where new roms are being developed for Zopo 9520: http://bbs.ydss.cn/forum-zopu_xiaohei2-1.html