[Guide] Windows RT 8.1 Kits

Search This thread

jimmielin

Oct 21, 2011
Beijing, China
This is a guide to setting up Windows Kits on Windows 8.1 RT. While it itself is a set of debugging & testing tools that Microsoft publishes officially for Windows 8.1 RT, I haven't looked at them in detail and possibly there are tools in it that are useful for you.

Mandatory Warning
This is a set of development tools and should not be toyed around with if you don't know what you are doing.

Disclaimer
These tools were provided by Microsoft Corporation and this guide only points you out to the tools I've found.
There is no warranty, express or implied for these tools, either from me or from Microsoft.

Includes

Guide
  1. Make sure you are sane enough and you need to install these.
  2. Download the ARM Windows App Certification Kit (third in the list above) and install.
  3. Go to C:\Program Files\Windows Kits\8.1\bin\arm\SecureBoot. Open InstallKitsPolicy.cmd with an Admin CMD Prompt.
  4. This will install the Kits Policy (other tools will not work without this). After rebooting, use Volume Down to select "Install" in the black screen that appears, and press the Windows button on your RT Device to proceed.
  5. After it boots, try to run C:\Program Files\Windows Kits\8.1\bin\arm\dxcapsviewer.exe and see if it runs. If it does, your Kits Policy is now installed. Download the ARM Debugging Tools from above.
  6. Install it. It'll also install to C:\Program Files\Windows Kits\8.1. The Debugger is located at \Debuggers, other useful binaries are around in \bin\arm. They also install Start Menu entries.

Notes
If the Kits Policy fails to install (black screen does not show up on next boot), try running the commands manually in an elevated command prompt. It failed to work for me in the first few tries, maybe due to a repeated command in the .bat file provided by MS. Running it manually should allow you to ignore that error.

Reactions: southbird and kitor

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a guide to setting up Windows Kits on Windows 8.1 RT. While it itself is a set of debugging & testing tools that Microsoft publishes officially for Windows 8.1 RT, I haven't looked at them in detail and possibly there are tools in it that are useful for you.

Mandatory Warning
    This is a set of development tools and should not be toyed around with if you don't know what you are doing.

Disclaimer
    These tools were provided by Microsoft Corporation and this guide only points you out to the tools I've found.
    There is no warranty, express or implied for these tools, either from me or from Microsoft.

Includes

Guide
    1. Make sure you are sane enough and you need to install these.
    2. Download the ARM Windows App Certification Kit (third in the list above) and install.
    3. Go to C:\Program Files\Windows Kits\8.1\bin\arm\SecureBoot. Open InstallKitsPolicy.cmd with an Admin CMD Prompt.
    4. This will install the Kits Policy (other tools will not work without this). After rebooting, use Volume Down to select "Install" in the black screen that appears, and press the Windows button on your RT Device to proceed.
    5. After it boots, try to run C:\Program Files\Windows Kits\8.1\bin\arm\dxcapsviewer.exe and see if it runs. If it does, your Kits Policy is now installed. Download the ARM Debugging Tools from above.
    6. Install it. It'll also install to C:\Program Files\Windows Kits\8.1. The Debugger is located at \Debuggers, other useful binaries are around in \bin\arm. They also install Start Menu entries.

Notes
    If the Kits Policy fails to install (black screen does not show up on next boot), try running the commands manually in an elevated command prompt. It failed to work for me in the first few tries, maybe due to a repeated command in the .bat file provided by MS. Running it manually should allow you to ignore that error.