FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Navbar on GE Android 4.3

67 posts
Thanks Meter: 14

By Aktifit, Member on 4th August 2013, 04:48 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey

I've converted my One to a GE 4.3 today and now I'm trying to get the navbar to work because I keep missing the capacitive buttons. There are a few guides on how to do that, apparently it should work on any 4.0+ phone by editing the build.prop and adding qemu.hw.mainkeys=0. My Phone is rooted and S-offed, so that shouldn't be the problem, I'm using ES file explorer and the changes seem to stick. But there's no Navbar. What am I doing wrong?

15th November 2013, 03:51 PM |#2  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktifit

Hey

I've converted my One to a GE 4.3 today and now I'm trying to get the navbar to work because I keep missing the capacitive buttons. There are a few guides on how to do that, apparently it should work on any 4.0+ phone by editing the build.prop and adding qemu.hw.mainkeys=0

I don't believe you're doing anything wrong. I've been seeking a solution for it myself, and all I've been able to gather is 4.3 GPE for the HTC One doesn't have the Navbar in the Rom at all. CM based roms have it in 4.3 and 4.4. The 4.3 GPE probably had it removed since its "unnecessary". I'm hoping they leave it in for 4.4 GPE.
27th April 2014, 03:21 AM |#3  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Possible fix
I wanted to come back to this thread and let everyone know that it is now (Somewhat) possible to get the stock navbar to work in the Google Play Edition of the HTC One m7 rom. Here's what I did and remember, do this at your own risk:

1) Download either stock HTC One GPe rom or ARHD GPe rom (i did this on the ARHD rom)

2) Download either the stock GPe of the NEW HTC One M8 rom, or there is a port that is posted on the M7 thread called tiKtaK.

4) View the contents of the M7 rom and delete SystemUI.apk ==> /system/priv-app/SystemUI.apk

3) Take the SystemUI.apk file from inside the M8 rom and insert it into the M7 rom. I didn't extract the roms.zip files though, since i wasn't sure if that would prevent the rom from installing correctly. I'm using Ubuntu and the default compression manager allowed me to view the contents of the zip file and add / delete files without extracting them. I'm sure this is possible in windows or in mac.

5) Transfer newly modified rom to your device.

6) MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP (if you don't know what that is, please Google it before continuing... you have been warned)

7) Once you have a backup to fall back on if things go wrong, flash the new rom.

8) Aroma does its thing, and in my case as the installation finishes in aroma but then reboots and gets stuck in the Google logo. Not sure why, but it could be because of my version of TWRP. Who knows.

9) (Optional depending if your phones locks up in boot) I then hard reset my phone back into recovery (hold power for about 15seconds until the phone resets, and when you see the screen go black while still holding the power button, press and hold the volume down button and release the power button after 2 seconds. Select recovery in the menu and hit the power button to confirm). Once you are back in recovery, clear cache and dalvik and reboot.

10) Should be good to go. If not then restore back to your Nandroid, and I'm all out of ideas lol.

I'm fairly certain this wouldn't work if you took the systemui file from say an AOSP rom, or from CM rom, since the two files need to be almost identical. I just figured i'd give this a shot since the two files are probably very similar. And its working so far. No weird bugs or glitches. very pleased. I will update this if i run into any problems.

Another option you could try would be the M8 GPe port from tiKtaK. Its a solid rom with a few hiccups from what i've experienced. The camera will FC if you switch into Panorama or Photosphere, and the data connection can be a little quirky. Had to restart my phone to get it to reconnect on more than one occasion.

If you get this working and want to turn off the capacitive buttons, You can either download an app to turn off the backlight to them or if you're using gravitybox [kk] there is an option in the Display section to turn off the button backlight. If you want to prevent them from doing any actions, there is a file you need to delete the contents of... /system/usr/keylayout/synaptics-rmi-touchscreen.kl just use a file explorer with text editing capabilities and delete the text inside this file. Then save and reboot. g2g.

Hope this helps.

Remember, do this at your own risk.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caeden_Byrne For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Caeden_Byrne Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
navbar

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)