Today, I was trying to fix the 1SMS bug, as I've been unfortunate enough to come down with it a few weeks ago. One method suggested by several users was to run a `reboot nvrestore` in Terminal Emulator as superuser, with the admonishment being that this required a known working nvbackup.
Around the time of the CM 10.2.0 release, I had performed this backup following these instructions so I figured I was ok to proceed with a restore. Around this time, I had also upgraded my modem and firmware to ML1 and MF1 respectively, following these instructions, although I do not recall the order in which I backed up and installed the modem.
I ran `reboot nvrestore`, my phone rebooted as expected, and as reported in the 1SMS thread I entered into a softlock boot loop. Figured I would just re-flash CM 10.2.1 (I had upgraded when this version was released), so I tried to reboot into recovery. Unfortunately, I found that my recovery would not load. Uh oh.
My first thought was to get a recovery reinstalled, so I installed Heimdall (OSX is my primary OS), booted the phone into download mode, and went to upload the latest CWM recovery.img for my device. Heimdall reported a successful upload, but no blue process bar ever appeared on the phone. Uh oh.
I tried again with the latest TWRP for my device, but had similar (non-)results.
The phone is charging now, as I'm paranoid about running out of battery during one of these attempts. My next step is to try flashing a recovery from within ODIN itself (I have a Windows machine as well), but I wanted to see what the community thought of all of this. Anyone had a similar experience? How did you get back to a working recovery?
tl;dr `nvrestore` broke my rom and recovery, thoughts?
Edit 1: Probably worth also reporting the message lines on the ODIN download screen on the phone:
Product Name: SCH-I535
Custom Binary Download: Yes (4 counts) // from the failed recovery load attempts
Current Binary: Custom
System Status: Custom
Qualcomm Secureboot: Enable // this line worries me, although I don't know if it is a change from before the `nvrestore`
Edit 2: Uploading TWRP 22.214.171.124 through ODIN 3.09 on Windows resolved the problem. Guess Heimdall still has some kinks to sort out. Was able to perform a factory reset, flash CM 10.2.1 and GApps, and the CM first-run wizard just launched. My only remaining wonder is whether this resolved the 1SMS problem in the first place, or if I just lost an afternoon sorting this out. At any rate, thanks for reading, and hopefully this can be useful to someone else in the future.