[BOOTLOADER][SAFEBOOT] Ouya Bootmenu (mlq)

Search This thread

billouetaudrey

Aug 25, 2008
Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I didnt manage to do the installation using the adb but I found a trick quite nice.
I have a keyboard with two extra usb port. I copied the CM11 rom to a usb stick and plug it on the keyboard, then I plugged the keyboard to the ouya and boot in recovery. the CWM saw the usb, mounted and I could install cm11 inmediately.

Now I have a little problem, it looks amazing but I cannot type anything, the ouya controller let me move in the system but when I click on some text field , the virtual keyboard doesnt appear.... is this normal?
shoudl I install something more..
I install the rom, the gapps and the ouyacontrollermapping.

thanks once more.

I doesn't know cwm see the USB stick... Happy for you...

Virtual keyboard appear if you unplug the physical keyboard or you need to disable physical keyboard on input parameters... But virtual keyboard work only with mouse...

Envoyé de mon ZP990 en utilisant Tapatalk

EgOrus

Sep 7, 2007
Hi! Can anybody explain how to boot alternative kernel by default?
I installed cm11 kitkat nighty 3 months ago, and now I want to use ouya just as headless server with Debian/Ubuntu (for NAS, torrent server, bittorrent sync...)
I see only one way to do this: swap alternative boot and CM11 boot kernel, so alternative kernel now will be at the place of orirginal boot in /system/boot.img. But I dont know if this will work. Is there any better way? maybe some file with settings as in Hal9k+1's dualboot menu?
Maybe I can install Hal9k+1's dualboot menu? As I understand in 1st post it's not safe.

Last edited:

frickinjerms

Sep 14, 2008
Victoria, TX
Hi! Can anybody explain how to boot alternative kernel by default?
I installed cm11 kitkat nighty 3 months ago, and now I want to use ouya just as headless server with Debian/Ubuntu (for NAS, torrent server, bittorrent sync...)
I see only one way to do this: swap alternative boot and CM11 boot kernel, so alternative kernel now will be at the place of orirginal boot in /system/boot.img. But I dont know if this will work. Is there any better way? maybe some file with settings as in Hal9k+1's dualboot menu?
Maybe I can install Hal9k+1's dualboot menu? As I understand in 1st post it's not safe.

Either put the alternate kernel into the cm11 zip and then reflash or possibly by adb pushing it to /system while in recovery?

Neodreamer24

Nov 17, 2008
Hi, I have installed this marvellous boot system with cm rom. Now I want to install the new stock rom update. I download the ota zip but I don't know how I must install it with this boot. Please could any one help me and tell me step by step? Can I flash the zip from cwm? When we install ota update it delete this boot system?
Thanks

Enviado desde mi SM-N9005 usando Tapatalk 2

SniperJunkie

Jul 2, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Hi, I have installed this marvellous boot system with cm rom. Now I want to install the new stock rom update. I download the ota zip but I don't know how I must install it with this boot. Please could any one help me and tell me step by step? Can I flash the zip from cwm? When we install ota update it delete this boot system?
Thanks

Enviado desde mi SM-N9005 usando Tapatalk 2

Just install the Official OUYA OTA as you would a CM Update, It'll override the Boot Menu and ROM.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

werty100

Aug 31, 2011
How can i compile my own bootmenu i have done this:
arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc -Os bootmenu.c -o bootmenu -static -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,--strip-all

But i only get bootmenu script and the img for flashing it?¿

deafasheck

Oct 16, 2014
hiRd9uy.png

Ouya Bootmenu development/release thread

This is based on the awesome work by Hal9k.
Because of the fact that the Ouya doesn't have recovery accessibility via hardware buttons we need to play safe and utilise chainbooting.
This bootmenu resides in the kernel partition and is loaded on every normal bootup.
In-depth info in Hal9k's thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2499673.

It presents various choices on every boot:
  • Normal boot - (default) loads bootimage from system partition (/system/boot.img)
  • Alternate boot - loads bootimage from sdcard (/sdcard/altboot.img)
  • Recovery - reboots into recovery (recovery partition)
  • Failsafe - loads built-in failsafe mode
  • Bootloader - Reboots into stock bootloader (for fastboot access - USE WITH CARE)

Notes about the failsafe
the failsafe mode (which has the bootmenu built-in) will pop up in the following cases:
  • the bootmenu could not find a valid bootimage (read: /system/boot.img for "normal boot"; /sdcard/altboot.img for "alternate boot")
  • the user selects "failsafe" from the menu

the failsafe mode resides in the bootmenu image itself and should ONLY be used (as its name suggests) as failsafe.
for regular flashing you need to use a newer cwm version which resides in the recovery partition and is accessible via the "recovery" entry in the bootmenu (see below).

And remember: After flashing this you DON'T NEED TO EVER touch your boot/LNX partition again

Reminder: Failsafe mode is ONLY to be used in case you can't boot into your recovery partition. For regular rom flashing the respective CWM recovery (see below) is required.

Milaq, Hi . I'm running JC's latest on Philz recovery, I'm toying around with my tp. just to make clear, am I to flash this Ouya from your recovery after I have Installed your Rom/Recovery and gapps? first I've come across this Ouya and being its an old post and all, I felt I'd best check. on a last note can I do all this from tptb?

And as always: we take no responsibility whatsoever for raging, screaming, crying, frustration, failing, confusion, dead kittens, etc.

Milaq, Hi . I'm running JC's latest on Philz recovery, I'm toying around with my tp. just to make clear, am I to flash this Ouya from your recovery after I have Installed your Rom/Recovery and gapps? first I've come across this Ouya and being its an old post and all, I felt I'd best check. on a last note can I do all this from tptb?

exice

Mar 9, 2013
bootloader.png

Because of the fact that the Ouya doesn't have recovery accessibility via hardware buttons we need to play safe and utilise chainbooting.
This bootmenu resides in the kernel partition and is loaded on every normal bootup.
In-depth info in Hal9k's thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2499673.

• Normal boot - (default) loads bootimage from system partition (/system/boot.img)
  • Bootloader - Reboots into stock bootloader (for fastboot access - USE WITH CARE)

Notes about the failsafe
the failsafe mode (which has the bootmenu built-in) will pop up in the following cases:
  • the bootmenu could not find a valid bootimage (read: /system/boot.img for "normal boot"; /sdcard/altboot.img for "alternate boot")

the failsafe mode resides in the bootmenu image itself and should ONLY be used (as its name suggests) as failsafe.
for regular flashing you need to use a newer cwm version which resides in the recovery partition and is accessible via the "recovery" entry in the bootmenu (see below).

And remember: After flashing this you DON'T NEED TO EVER touch your boot/LNX partition again

Reminder: Failsafe mode is ONLY to be used in case you can't boot into your recovery partition. For regular rom flashing the respective CWM recovery (see below) is required.

Installation
You need to have a newer CWM recovery installed in order to flash the bootmenu.
READ AND UNDERSTAND what you are doing!
This bootmenu is flashed over your current bootimage - newer cyanogenmod builds will place their bootimage to /system/boot.img automatically. if you are not using a custom rom you will need to relocate your bootimage (read: kernel) to /system/boot.img manually.

You need to have a newer CWM recovery installed in order to flash the bootmenu (otherwise you'll get a build.product mismatch while installing).

1a) If you already have an older custom recovery installed:
Boot into recovery and flash http://milaq.net/downloads/android/ouya/misc/recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.8-ouya.zip. This will update your recovery to a newer version allowing you to flash the bootmenu regularly.

1b) If you don't have a custom recovery installed:
You can either use the one-click installer from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2295645 and continue with step 1a).
Or you can flash a newer recovery via fastboot (if you know what you are doing): http://milaq.net/downloads/android/ouya/misc/recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.8-ouya.img

2.) Flash the bootmenu via (the new) recovery by installing the latest updatezip (download below). Make sure that the installation procedure was successful.
If you get a "MD5 mismatch" your download is probably broken. Just redownload and try again. The installscript checks the md5's mutliple times while installing and reflashes your old bootimage in case something goes wrong.
So if you are not doing something REALLY stupid this is safe to go.

Download
Download latest version (v2.0.4)

Changelog
Code:
 * reduce menu timeout for faster regular boot
 * ui improvements in failsafe mode

* bootmenu: increase maximum number of input devices to 5 - e.g. the gpio
   keys (the ouya power button - 1 node), a mutlimedia keyboard (2 nodes), a mouse (1 nodes)
   and a controller (1 node).

* add in additional alternate boot image folder handling to fix compatibility with kitkat
 * update failsafe recovery to differ more from regular recovery
 * minor ui and ux tweaks in both bootmenu and failsafe

* initial reworked version

And as always: we take no responsibility whatsoever for raging, screaming, crying, frustration, failing, confusion, dead kittens, etc.

Source
https://github.com/milaq/ouya_bootmenu

None of your links works. Why not just use the "release" function at github?

rah2501

Aug 8, 2011
if you are not using a custom rom you will need to relocate your bootimage (read: kernel) to /system/boot.img manually.

Can I request that you please make this very much more prominent at the top of the post, possibly in a big font in red? I just followed the installation instructions on my Ouya and now it boots into failsafe mode and is unusable.

Also, it would be excellent if you provided instructions on how to relocate your bootimage /system/boot.img. The installation instructions would be a good place for that.

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

You can try adb push /boot.img /system/boot.img

Which MMC partition is /boot.img on?

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

you will need to relocate your bootimage (read: kernel) to /system/boot.img manually

How do you do that? Where is the "bootimage"?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    https%3A%2F%2Fi.ibb.co%2FXz9gtGC%2Fbootloader.png

Notes about the failsafe

Installation
    You need to have a newer CWM recovery installed in order to flash the bootmenu.
    READ AND UNDERSTAND what you are doing!
    This bootmenu is flashed over your current bootimage - newer cyanogenmod builds will place their bootimage to /system/boot.img automatically. if you are not using a custom rom you will need to relocate your bootimage (read: kernel) to /system/boot.img manually.

You need to have a newer CWM recovery installed in order to flash the bootmenu (otherwise you'll get a build.product mismatch while installing).

1a) If you already have an older custom recovery installed:
    Boot into recovery and flash https://download.milaq.net/public/android/ouya/misc/recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.8-ouya.zip. This will update your recovery to a newer version allowing you to flash the bootmenu regularly.

1b) If you don't have a custom recovery installed:
    You can either use the one-click installer from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2295645 and continue with step 1a).
    Or you can flash a newer recovery via fastboot (if you know what you are doing): https://download.milaq.net/public/android/ouya/misc/recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.8-ouya.img

2.) Flash the bootmenu via (the new) recovery by installing the latest updatezip (download below). Make sure that the installation procedure was successful.
    If you get a "MD5 mismatch" your download is probably broken. Just redownload and try again. The installscript checks the md5's mutliple times while installing and reflashes your old bootimage in case something goes wrong.
    So if you are not doing something REALLY stupid this is safe to go.

Download
    Download latest version (v2.0.4)

Changelog
    Code:
     * reduce menu timeout for faster regular boot
     * ui improvements in failsafe mode

* bootmenu: increase maximum number of input devices to 5 - e.g. the gpio
       keys (the ouya power button - 1 node), a mutlimedia keyboard (2 nodes), a mouse (1 nodes)
       and a controller (1 node).

* add in additional alternate boot image folder handling to fix compatibility with kitkat
     * update failsafe recovery to differ more from regular recovery
     * minor ui and ux tweaks in both bootmenu and failsafe

* initial reworked version

Source
    https://github.com/milaq/ouya_bootmenu
    • Hal9k - for the inital ouya bootmenu and many great ideas
    • Dan Pasanen (invisiblek) - for great work on the recovery and initial porting efforts

Let me know if i omitted you and i will add you here asap

Visit us in #cyanogenmod (general) or #cyanogenmod-dev (only dev related talk) on freenode
    new version

new version is available in the first post
    bootmenu v2.0.4

new version up.
    see first post for details.

Now that I have CWM with the newest boot menu and CM11 running super smooth how do I go about flashing the stock Ouya ROM to the SD card without wiping the whole thing again?

dual booting the stock rom is not as easy as it may seem.
    with the boot menu you _have_ the ability to dual boot another boot image (read: kernel/ramdisk) but you still need to have a partition where all stock roms system files reside. the internal "sdcard" is out of the game here as it is just a fused filesystem. but i could imagine external usb storage or such. one needs to partition it and make the respective changes to the stock ramdisk for it to work.

nevertheless, i will not spend time working on stock rom dualboot compatibility. but anyone willing to invest time into it is very welcomed to do so.
    version bump again

the power button does not respond!

i suspect that you have too many input devices connected during boot.
    in version <=2.0.2 the maximum number of input devices that are recognised in the bootmenu was 3.
    in case you have a keyboard (usually takes up 2 input nodes) and a mouse connected, the ouya power button (also an input device) was at the end of the list thus not taken into account.

i raised the number of recognised input devices to 5 in version 2.0.3 (see first post for download). that should allow most setups to work fine.

in case you still can't use the power button to select just briefly disconnect your usb devices at boot and reconnect them after making your choice in the bootmenu.