Post Reply Email Thread
10th December 2017, 09:44 PM |#7661  
Flag Lardos, Rhodes, Greece.
Thanks Meter: 2,078

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharanaw

I bought a used M8. It is unlocked. It currently has a outdated version of software. Software number is 4.18.... When I checked for software updates, it says the phone is up-to-date. Please help me to get my phone updated.
I downloaded the update for Unlocked/Developer model and tried to update manually, but it says Error 155 : Unknown Error. The ROM Update Utility cannot update your Android phone.

I searched the IMEI info for this phone. Part description says it is a USA device, AT&T, with SIM lock.

Therefore, my assumption is that the phone was AT&T locked but was subsequently unlocked. Could you please advice me on whether I should flash an unlocked ROM or is there another safe way to get it updated?

Thank you in advance

Post the results of fastboot getvar all after removing your serial and IMEI numbers. You won't get help until you do.

10th December 2017, 09:58 PM |#7662  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einwod

Post the results of fastboot getvar all after removing your serial and IMEI numbers. You won't get help until you do.

Sorry for my ignorance. What are the info you need and how could I get this info?
10th December 2017, 10:13 PM |#7663  
Flag Lardos, Rhodes, Greece.
Thanks Meter: 2,078

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Sorry for my ignorance. What are the info you need and how could I get this info?

You should familiarise yourself with some of the commands and things that you need to do before going any further here. Please read through the first few posts on THIS thread to get some guidance. Please note, Firewater is no longer available for S-OFF, but read the first part of section 3 to see the information required.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Einwod For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Einwod Ad-Free
11th December 2017, 01:55 PM |#7664  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einwod

Sorry for the delay. Here is the info you need.

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.19.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.24.21331147A1.09G
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 4.18.708.12
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8_ul
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B13000
(bootloader) cidnum: 11111111
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 3aa067db
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
11th December 2017, 02:46 PM |#7665  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,812

More
Quote:

Sorry for the delay. Here is the info you need.

((bootloader) version-main: 4.18.708.12
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B13000
(bootloader) cidnum: 11111111

The info indicates that the phone currently has US T-Mobile MID (0P6B13000) but this may or may not have been changed from something else. CID is SuperCID (11111111), and the current firmware version is Asian (4.18.708.12).

The product ID (m8_ul) corresponds with that is US T-Mobile version, although can also be Europe, Australia (or possibly other) versions. But my suspicion is that it's originally a T-Mobile phone, made s-off and SuperCID, and then had Asian firmware flashed to it.

S-off means you mostly likely have SIM unlock. And if the phone works on your local carrier's SIM, than obviously it is SIM unlocked.

How to proceed in updating, depends on whether you are actually in the Asian region, and want to keep that firmware (but updated) or change it to something else for better band support with your local carrier.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

Quote:

I searched the IMEI info for this phone. Part description says it is a USA device, AT&T, with SIM lock.

Therefore, my assumption is that the phone was AT&T locked but was subsequently unlocked.

It's definitely not the AT&T version, which would have product ID: m8_ul_ca
Where yours is m8_ul (product ID for US T-Mob, Europe or Australia, as mentioned)

Quote:

I bought a used M8. It is unlocked. It currently has a outdated version of software. Software number is 4.18.... When I checked for software updates, it says the phone is up-to-date. Please help me to get my phone updated.
I downloaded the update for Unlocked/Developer model and tried to update manually, but it says Error 155 : Unknown Error. The ROM Update Utility cannot update your Android phone.

The name for that RUU is deceptive. Many folks think it is for the unlocked Euro (or other similar unlocked version). But it is specifically for the US Developer's Edition. Probably not the best RUU for your region, unless you are in the US.

Error 155 is due to the fact that US RUU's (Marshmallow) need to have firmware.zip flashed in RUU mode, before the RUU can install successfully.
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift redpoint73 Ad-Free
11th December 2017, 03:21 PM |#7666  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

How to proceed in updating, depends on whether you are actually in the Asian region, and want to keep that firmware (but updated) or change it to something else for better band support with your local carrier.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

It's definitely not the AT&T version, which would have product ID: m8_ul_ca
Where yours is m8_ul (product ID for US T-Mob, Europe or Australia, as mentioned)

The name for that RUU is deceptive. Many folks think it is for the unlocked Euro (or other similar unlocked version). But it is specifically for the US Developer's Edition. Probably not the best RUU for your region, unless you are in the US.

Error 155 is due to the fact that US RUU's (Marshmallow) need to have firmware.zip flashed in RUU mode, before the RUU can install successfully.

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

I am actually in the Asian region. I live in Sri Lanka. Therefore, I can have the current firmware. I don't have any problems with that.

Could you please advice me on how I should proceed to update my phone? I'm sorry for my ignorance but I'm still very new to this subject.
If I were to update manually, should I download the T-Mobile update or should I get an unlocked/developer update? And how do I "flash firmware.zip in RUU mode".
I'm worried that an update or flashing new firmware would relock my phone and am anxious to prevent it from happening. I would rather not update if there is any risk of locking or bricking my phone. What would be the best way to proceed?

Thank you in advance.
11th December 2017, 05:05 PM |#7667  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,812

More
Quote:

I am actually in the Asian region. I live in Sri Lanka. Therefore, I can have the current firmware. I don't have any problems with that.

If I were to update manually, should I download the T-Mobile update or should I get an unlocked/developer update?

I don't suggest either of those solutions (T-Mob update or Dev Ed update); as those are both US versions. Updating by OTA or RUU for a US versions will also change the band support. And band support for US versions is probably the least desirable configuration for non-US users. Especially since you seem to be indicating that your phone is working well with Asia firmware (4.18.708.12) which includes the radio baseband specific to your region.

Best to update using Asia RUU. You can find it here (2nd link on the following): https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...ostcount=13147

It's not a executable type RUU, it's zip format. You will find the necessary process to install it in the 3rd link provided on the above webpage.

Quote:

I'm worried that an update or flashing new firmware would relock my phone and am anxious to prevent it from happening. I would rather not update if there is any risk of locking or bricking my phone. What would be the best way to proceed?

Flashing RUU will not lock the SIM. RUU is official HTC tool to write software/firmware; therefore it's a safest possible method to update the phone. But your data will be wiped, so plan accordingly (backup any data you want to keep, to an off-phone location or SD card).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift redpoint73 Ad-Free
11th December 2017, 05:29 PM |#7668  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

I don't suggest either of those solutions (T-Mob update or Dev Ed update); as those are both US versions. Updating by OTA or RUU for a US versions will also change the band support. And band support for US versions is probably the least desirable configuration for non-US users. Especially since you seem to be indicating that your phone is working well with Asia firmware (4.18.708.12) which includes the radio baseband specific to your region.

Best to update using Asia RUU. You can find it here (2nd link on the following): https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...ostcount=13147

It's not a executable type RUU, it's zip format. You will find the necessary process to install it in the 3rd link provided on the above webpage.

Flashing RUU will not lock the SIM. RUU is official HTC tool to write software/firmware; therefore it's a safest possible method to update the phone. But your data will be wiped, so plan accordingly (backup any data you want to keep, to an off-phone location or SD card).

Thank you very much. I will try this and let you know what happens.
Thank you once again.
9th June 2018, 11:03 PM |#7669  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.19.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.29.214500021.24_2G
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 6.12.709.4
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: HT42KWM00519
(bootloader) imei:
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B11000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__621
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: RUU
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 76df2b54
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.064s

I need RUU Please send link and say how recognize correct RUU for hTC
The Following User Says Thank You to ira93 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ira93 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)