FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Tool] [SS/DS] [LB] [Deprecated] Nicki Root - Full root on latest firmware

699 posts
Thanks Meter: 882

Post Reply Email Thread
UPDATE: check out TowelRoot app by @geohot! One-click root solution that works with latest firmware released for Xperia M single/dual (provides half-root only, don't forget to apply root fixer)

Nicki Root is deprecated, it got merged in my new dd Flasher tool and works across many devices, not only Xperia M. The attachments and changelog from Nicki Root were kept below for archiving history, but I won't provide support for it anymore. For any problem you may encounter, go to dd Flasher thread. If you want to root Xperia M through dd Flasher, downgrade your device to Android 4.1 or 4.2.2 firmware, root it with Cydia Impactor and follow the instructions from dd Flasher thread.

Changelog
Version 2.0
• Nicki Root now is called dd Flasher

Old versions
Version 1.3.3
• Bugfixes for Linux script
• Updated SuperSU to 2.02

Version 1.3.2
• Make sure the temporary folder exists before pushing the script

Version 1.3.1
• Now compatible with Linux

Version 1.3
• Implement log capabilities (users can pull last log by selecting appropriate option in main menu)
• Drop "reboot in flash mode" (after using dd, system partition layout is different and device can't be rebooted)
• Check if LED can be used to indicate status, otherwise disable it
• Minor code changes

Version 1.2
• Rewrote most of the code
• Script now uses LED to indicate status
• By popular demand, dropped choice command in favour of set command (should work with Windows XP again)
• For every single command, script will now check if it failed or not and warn the user if anything get wrong
• Rewrote the mount/umount routine, loop device is selected automatically and resource busy issues are fixed now
• Can be used with half-rooted devices now (script check if device is fully rooted and apply root fixer at runtime if needed)
• Implemented "reboot in flash mode" command to avoid needing to pull/reinsert battery manually (experimental, sometimes doesn't work)

Version 1.1
• Make sure busybox is installed after first boot (previous versions pushed busybox but didn't install it)
• Drop choice32/choice64 applets and use built-in OS command (Windows XP no longer supported)

Version 1.0.1
• Typo fix (Nicky => Nicki)
• Updated busybox to 1.22.1

Version 1.0
• Initial release
Attached Files
File Type: zip NickiRoot_1.0.1.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.70 MB, 5427 views)
File Type: zip NickiRoot_1.1.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.67 MB, 2302 views)
File Type: zip NickiRoot_1.2.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.67 MB, 1143 views)
File Type: zip NickiRoot_1.3.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.67 MB, 243 views)
File Type: zip NickiRoot_1.3.1.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.15 MB, 831 views)
File Type: zip NickiRoot_1.3.2.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.15 MB, 2004 views)
File Type: zip NickiRoot_1.3.3.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.19 MB, 6088 views)
The Following 78 Users Say Thank You to mbc07 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mbc07 Ad-Free

8th April 2014, 04:49 AM |#2  
Flag Asansol
Thanks Meter: 2,451

Donate to Me
More
Will test as soon as Indian Firmware Update show up...

Sent from my C2004 using Tapatalk
8th April 2014, 07:38 AM |#3  
Flag dublin
Thanks Meter: 270

More
Well done @mbc07, this is great news. Dont forget to give credit to @joemarshall, afterall, he cane up with the idea . Thanks for testing it and creating this thread, nevertheless

sent from wadiya using my mafroom
8th April 2014, 07:52 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 598

Donate to Me
More
I'll be trying this (probably) in the next hour, I'll post results for the Single SIM afterwards.

RESULTS TIME: This method of rooting worked and I am now running 4.3 with root access. Thank you.

Sent from my C1905 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to gamer649 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gamer649 Ad-Free
8th April 2014, 09:04 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Gonna test after I download 4.1.2 ftf, hope it works :P
8th April 2014, 09:40 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 598

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizla2

Gonna test after I download 4.1.2 ftf, hope it works :P

It works perfectly, I'm now rooted on 4.3 thanks to this. The only error I had was when the tool first tried to push the system.ext4 to the SD Card, it said there wasn't enough space, I just deleted the incomplete copy and then ran the tool again and it worked.
The Following User Says Thank You to gamer649 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gamer649 Ad-Free
8th April 2014, 12:03 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Hmm, I'd not thought of mounting the image and doing dd, that is pretty tidy.

Balls, It didn't work for me first try, error mounting the loopback device, said it was busy. I'm re-flashing the phone back to 4.1 now. I've split the shell scripts into 2, first one does the modifications of system.ext4, second one does the dd flash, with a press any key between. That way if the modifications to system.ext4 fail, you're not stuck with an unrooted phone where system partition has already been written, and you can happily start again. I was flashing from sd card if that makes any difference.

Also, would it be possible to copy the reboot executable into your temp folder before you do the dd, so that you don't have to do the battery out reset in the middle of the process, or won't reboot work once you're in that state?

Edit: Second time lucky, thanks ever so much. Maybe I just needed to start from a blank slate version of 4.1, blimey that first boot takes some time though!

cheers,

Joe
8th April 2014, 12:13 PM |#8  
cairo
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbc07

It took me a lot of time and I tried a lot of methods but I finally managed to root the new 4.3 update without unlocking the bootloader, let's root that thing.

Requirements:

• You will need FlashTool and the FTF file of 4.3 update for your phone
  • You should be running Android 4.1.2/4.2.2 firmware with full root. If you already updated to 4.3, sorry, you'll need to downgrade to 4.1.2/4.2.2 and root it, otherwise this method won't work
  • You should have at least 1.5GB of free space in your Internal Storage or in your SD Card. If you don't have enough space, the installation will be aborted and your phone will be left intact
  • Make sure you have full root (eg. your phone doesn't reboot when you remount /system with RW access). Using this method without full root may reboot your phone during the procedure, getting you in a bootloop
  • Currently the script works only on Windows, I'll try to get a Linux version soon

Getting system.ext4 file: before continuing, we'll need to extract system.ext4 from system.sin present in the update. Open the FTF it with WinRAR or 7-zip and extract system.sin somewhere, then open FlashTool, go to Tools => Sin Editor, locate the system.sin file extracted previously and then click in "Extract Data". You'll get system.ext4 in the same folder you extracted system.sin. Now you're good to go

Procedure:
  • Download the attached ZIP and unzip its contents somewhere
  • Move system.ext4 extracted previously to the same folder where root.bat is
  • Open root.bat and follow the instructions
  • After the process finished, the script will tell you and your phone will be in a frozen state (it's normal). At that point, you should manually remove the USB cable and then pull/reinsert your battery. DON'T TURN IT ON, we haven't finished yet (turning it on now will get you in a bootloop).
  • Open FlashTool again and flash the entire 4.3 FTF, but exclude system (if you forget to do so, the root will be removed and you'll need to start over)
  • After flashing finished, disconnect the USB cable and start your phone. If everything went well you should be in 4.3 now, with full root access

NOTE: I'm not that good with BASH/Shell scripts, and although I had implemented some sanity checks, something may have escaped that checks. So, if you do this procedure and the shell script finish with errors, it's better to start over since something may have not worked and you may be in a partial root state...

It worked for me thanks to you
The Following User Says Thank You to ososmam For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ososmam Ad-Free
8th April 2014, 02:15 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 346

More
About flashing 4.3 can I do a data and cache wipe?

Wysłane z mojego GT-P3110 przy użyciu Tapatalka
The Following User Says Thank You to iks8 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iks8 Ad-Free
8th April 2014, 02:30 PM |#10  
Flag Kraków
Thanks Meter: 59

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iks8

About flashing 4.3 can I do a data and cache wipe?

Wysłane z mojego GT-P3110 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Flashtoll wil wipe data and cache when you flash 4.3 You don't need to do anything else.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacjonek For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pacjonek Ad-Free
8th April 2014, 03:17 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 882

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by paper13579

Well done @mbc07, this is great news. Dont forget to give credit to @joemarshall, afterall, he cane up with the idea . Thanks for testing it and creating this thread, nevertheless

sent from wadiya using my mafroom

I still need to rework the OP, many people from Root for FTF 4.3 Update 15.4.A.0.23 LOCKED BOOTLOADER deserves credits, after all I wouldn't have that idea without their replies... Will get these guys credited in the OP soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemarshall

Hmm, I'd not thought of mounting the image and doing dd, that is pretty tidy.

Balls, It didn't work for me first try, error mounting the loopback device, said it was busy. I'm re-flashing the phone back to 4.1 now. I've split the shell scripts into 2, first one does the modifications of system.ext4, second one does the dd flash, with a press any key between. That way if the modifications to system.ext4 fail, you're not stuck with an unrooted phone where system partition has already been written, and you can happily start again. I was flashing from sd card if that makes any difference.

Also, would it be possible to copy the reboot executable into your temp folder before you do the dd, so that you don't have to do the battery out reset in the middle of the process, or won't reboot work once you're in that state?

Edit: Second time lucky, thanks ever so much. Maybe I just needed to start from a blank slate version of 4.1, blimey that first boot takes some time though!

cheers,

Joe

Thank you for the feedback, I'll try to add some sanity checks before using dd. About reboot, I tried using busybox reboot but nothing happened, the same for adb reboot. Apparently after using stop, the reboot command doesn't seems to work
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mbc07 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mbc07 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
15.4.a.0.23, 15.5.a.0.18, 4.3, locked bootloader, root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)