FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

standard android settings! generic bluetooth audio is working!!! thank you scottsdca!

155 posts
Thanks Meter: 49

By tarvoke, Senior Member on 12th April 2014, 05:13 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
FRIGGIN CHAMPION GENIUS IDEA of scottsdca

get Settings.apk from here:
http://www.glassxe.com/2013/05/23/se...-at-google-io/

UPDATE: original article is gone. check archive.org if you want to read it. but you can still get the Settings.apk here
don't bother with the Launcher2, all it does is crash immediately. although if you have a thing for apps that crash immediately, well then there you go. could be it's a year old and maybe we need to try a 4.2 launcher.

like the article mentions, nearly all of the Settings stuff just crashes (plus, some of it I'd be scared to mess with anyway for fear of messing up spamazon settings)

I don't have any 4.2 devices (aside from ~ firetv obvs), but if anyone else does (like standard-ish non-weird device... e.g. generic tablet or phone?) - would you mind pulling settings and launcher apks please? they might be more suitable and less crashy...

I haven't done much but so far I have a bluetooth speaker paired, connected, and WORKING - sound is coming out the BT speaker and not my TV.
even fired up PrimeTV and sound was as normal, only it was the BT speaker.

xbmc? darn right the sound is coming perfectly out of the BT speaker.

now I turned off the BT speaker, and sound is coming out the TV again. seamless as it should be.

turned the speaker back on, and it autoconnected, all fireTV audio is back on the BT speaker again.

no luck with BT keyboard just yet, and have other settings to still mess with...

(also: the spamazon settings are all still there and all still work as before)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tarvoke For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tarvoke Ad-Free
12th April 2014, 06:20 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Slightly Outside America

More
slightly more useless info:

it seems like anything that needs a PIN code still doesn't work.

which is hilarious for 2 reasons:
- the PS3/BD remote does not use a PIN. but so far every android device I have, asks for a PIN for it. the workaround app for anything up to android 4.1.x (i.e. bluez) is great. but firetv is 4.2 and that app doesn't work with the new bluedroid.
- my BT speaker that is currently working (BEM Cube), also does not use any PIN. but it is different somehow, in that android understands in this case, and pairs without asking for any PIN.

Settings shows the BEM Cube's profile as media audio, as expected.

if I try to pair my BT keyboard, the firetv BT settings gives me a PIN to type on the kbd. but the firetv pairing dialog sits there waiting forever no matter how many times I type ####+Enter on the kbd.

if I try to pair my phone, both the phone and the firetv pop up a dialog with matching numbers, but after I press OK on both dialogs, nothing happens. (sometimes the phone says incorrect / missing PIN, afterward. but not always)

if I try to pair my Supertooth Disco speaker, the firetv asks me for a PIN. in this case the PIN is most definitely 0000. but after entering that, nothing happens. not even any error message.

so it seems to be a generic passcode issue? I haven't looked at logcat yet...

I really wanted to try the Disco because it has some extra controls on it. the BEM Cube only has Play/Pause - which does work correctly in both xbmc and PrimeTV.

addition: I found my crappy old Arctic P311 headset (audio has 0.5s lag on every single desktop, laptop, console, phone, etc. I ever tried it on, that's how cheap+awful it is.) - it also happens to be PIN-less (in the good way like the BEM, not the bad way like the BD remote. whatever the hell that means.), and it paired right away with firetv. and then connected with no problem. it has a play/pause button, and also ff + rewind buttons. all the buttons worked as expected in PrimeTV and xbmc. whee.
also, the P311 shows up in Settings with both a media audio profile, and a phone audio profile. nice.

///

after a ton of times connecting/disconnecting the Cube (only because it was stupid fun and made me smile for some reason), started to get a few sound artifacts, some out of sync a/v, and eventually no sound at all on BT (but still perfectly normal sound on HDMI). probably also worth a look at logcat. I also wonder if all the messing around with the other BT devices that all failed, caused any instability.

restarting BT seemed to clean up the audio weirdnesses -

the settings app WILL let you turn BT off and on, just be careful lol. it scared the heck out of me the first time.
- turn BT off. BT goes off. settings app crashes. uh oh! wtf am I gonna do?
- run settings app again. toggle BT on. settings app crashes. oh no! am I seriously screwed now?!
- run settings app again. BT button is blue/on! waow! Thank Crom!
12th April 2014, 07:20 PM |#3  
have you tried to allow apps to install from unknown sources?
12th April 2014, 08:26 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayman11

have you tried to allow apps to install from unknown sources?

'developer options' was the very first thing I tried - sorry, no dice (

it, and most of the other settings items, only crash the app.

the only things that work (or semi-work), are:

bluetooth
sound (changing the ringtones is ok, but trying the volume setting crashes)
display (didn't try any of these)
battery (uh huh)
location services (uh huh)
security (but no way am I touching any of those)
dock (yeah, no...)
date&time (it's right, why mess with it)
about phone (tells us stuff we already know)

I haven't really tried to change anything in any of those (except bluetooth obvs) - nothing terribly useful to change, so, to me, nothing else there worth the risk of breaking anything.
12th April 2014, 08:33 PM |#5  
the unknown sources box is usually found under security not developer options, but that may crash too
The Following User Says Thank You to dhayman11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dhayman11 Ad-Free
12th April 2014, 09:15 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

the unknown sources box is usually found under security not developer options, but that may crash too

duh me, ugh. yeah you are totally right.

ok, so it is there on the security subsection if I scroll to the bottom.

but, yep, it crashes back to the main settings page. that's unfortunate.
12th April 2014, 09:17 PM |#7  
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarvoke

duh me, ugh. yeah you are totally right.

ok, so it is there on the security subsection if I scroll to the bottom.

but, yep, it crashes back to the main settings page. that's unfortunate.

Damnit that would have been ideal. Thanks for trying
The Following User Says Thank You to dhayman11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dhayman11 Ad-Free
12th April 2014, 09:27 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Damnit that would have been ideal. Thanks for trying

no worries it was definitely worth a try.

ok.

so.

I just had a really stupid idea.

even worse, it actually works. but not sure it's worth making a separate post about.

1. turn on adb wifi debugging

2. sideload your favorite terminal, e.g.
http://jackpal.github.com/Android-Te...loads/Term.apk

3. fire up said terminal

4. adb connect localhost
(LOL!)

5. profit? profit!

$ adb -s localhost:5555 install foobarbaz.apk
$ adb -s localhost:5555 shell

not as quick or classy as unknown sources, but you can do it all within the firetv and don't need an extra phone or computer. so... kinda not too bad?

///

edit:

the reason I use "-s localhost:5555" is that in some cases the firetv already had an existing device listed, "emulator-5554". which may have been the result of not disconnecting adb from my laptop, or just the fooling around I was doing running adbd and adb on the same device, or...?

once you are in the terminal app, run "adb devices" first. if it already shows emulator-5554, then you don't need to connect a second time and can just use adb normally. if it does not show any existing device, then you do need to "adb connect localhost" but then in that case you should not need to specify "-s whatever" and also just use adb normally.
The Following User Says Thank You to tarvoke For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tarvoke Ad-Free
12th April 2014, 10:34 PM |#9  
Quote:

no worries it was definitely worth a try.

ok.

so.

I just had a really stupid idea.

even worse, it actually works. but not sure it's worth making a separate post about.

1. turn on adb wifi debugging

2. sideload your favorite terminal, e.g.
http://jackpal.github.com/Android-Te...loads/Term.apk

3. fire up said terminal

4. adb connect localhost
(LOL!)

5. profit? profit!

$ adb -s localhost:5555 install foobarbaz.apk
$ adb -s localhost:5555 shell

not as quick or classy as unknown sources, but you can do it all within the firetv and don't need an extra phone or computer. so... kinda not too bad?

///

edit:

the reason I use "-s localhost:5555" is that in some cases the firetv already had an existing device listed, "emulator-5554". which may have been the result of not disconnecting adb from my laptop, or just the fooling around I was doing running adbd and adb on the same device, or...?

once you are in the terminal app, run "adb devices" first. if it already shows emulator-5554, then you don't need to connect a second time and can just use adb normally. if it does not show any existing device, then you do need to "adb connect localhost" but then in that case you should not need to specify "-s whatever" and also just use adb normally.

Awesome worked flawlessly for me.
17th April 2014, 02:30 AM |#10  
Quote:

if I try to pair my BT keyboard, the firetv BT settings gives me a PIN to type on the kbd. but the firetv pairing dialog sits there waiting forever no matter how many times I type ####+Enter on the kbd.

You ever get anywhere with the BT keyboard? I'm stuck here too. Tried pushing a settings.apk from 4.2.2 but haven't had any success there.
17th April 2014, 04:43 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

You ever get anywhere with the BT keyboard? I'm stuck here too. Tried pushing a settings.apk from 4.2.2 but haven't had any success there.

sorry brother, no dice I tried 4.1 and 4.2 versions too, but not really surprised it didn't do much

from what I remember of dmesg output, the firetv kept requesting a pin over and over, and not getting one
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)