Asus RT N and AC Routers

5,804 posts
Thanks Meter: 995

By ermacwins, Senior Member on 21st April 2014, 12:40 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
22nd April 2014, 06:31 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 79

More
True. I have bitten the bullet and decided to leave PC on. It idles down nicely anyhow. The good thing with plex is that it encodes on the fly to suite the device and bandwidth present. With DLNA server on router its hit or miss whether it even starts to play. Also interface of Plex is verty nice from Android app.
22nd April 2014, 07:04 PM |#12  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 1,534

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermacwins

So apparently the N66U has a microsd slot on the mainboard. Has anyone tinkered with that?

Yeah, I have the N66U with a 16GB SD card in the slot. I use TomatoUSB on my router instead of the Stock OS, and I have it use the card for my network share storage.
22nd April 2014, 07:11 PM |#13  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddggttff3

Yeah, I have the N66U with a 16GB SD card in the slot. I use TomatoUSB on my router instead of the Stock OS, and I have it use the card for my network share storage.

What's the Max size it can take? And in tomato fw better than merlin?
22nd April 2014, 07:14 PM |#14  
Flag Minnesota

More
Quote:

What's the Max size it can take? And in tomato fw better than merlin?

I believe 64GB, but I am not 100% sure. And its all personal preference on what OS is better. Find one that does what you want, and you enjoy.
The Following User Says Thank You to ddggttff3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ddggttff3 Ad-Free
23rd April 2014, 05:07 PM |#15  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I believe 64GB, but I am not 100% sure. And its all personal preference on what OS is better. Find one that does what you want, and you enjoy.

Guess I can check. Im assuming that opening the router will void the warranty? And which format does it need to be in, FAT32?
24th April 2014, 03:24 AM |#16  
Flag Minnesota

More
Quote:

Guess I can check. Im assuming that opening the router will void the warranty? And which format does it need to be in, FAT32?

I dont believe so as there is a warranty inside the case on one of the mainboard screws. And FAT32 should work, but I personally used EXT3.
24th April 2014, 03:56 AM |#17  
Toilet
Thanks Meter: 185

More
RT-N66U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware, best router Ive ever had.

Notes:

Putting a micro sdcard in the router will not add it to the webui, it will only be available via terminal/ftp/samba/etc.

SD Cards, flash memory, thumb drive,etc should be EXT2 and hard drives EXT3 with Asus routers when used in the SD slot or USB ports, it runs Linux and a Linux file system should be used.
The Following User Says Thank You to r00t4rd3d For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift r00t4rd3d Ad-Free
24th April 2014, 07:38 AM |#18  
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 71

More
I'm using the ac I think. Anyways I have a 2 TB Samsung portable, I can't give details later if needed. But yeah casts. I have y2cast, local cast and bubble all still on my phone, so must work well. great playback.
Router is on stock firmware, remember to go manually update, small security issue.
I'd like to try the ddwrt software on it bit I've yet to have a chance if anyone has had a chance.

Sent from my LT30a
24th April 2014, 09:04 PM |#19  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by r00t4rd3d

RT-N66U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware, best router Ive ever had.

Notes:

Putting a micro sdcard in the router will not add it to the webui, it will only be available via terminal/ftp/samba/etc.

SD Cards, flash memory, thumb drive,etc should be EXT2 and hard drives EXT3 with Asus routers when used in the SD slot or USB ports, it runs Linux and a Linux file system should be used.

Ok I'll try an ftp client on the pc to transfer files to attached storage. Is there a similar method with Android for non techy family members?
29th April 2014, 08:58 PM |#20  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Im on Tomato FW now and have a USB key plugged in. How can I Transfer files from Windows7/8?
30th April 2014, 12:24 AM |#21  
Flag Minnesota

More
Quote:

Im on Tomato FW now and have a USB key plugged in. How can I Transfer files from Windows7/8?

You need to enable file sharing from the router GUI, and then you can access the routers shares from your PC by using file explorer and browsing to the IP of the router. so \\192.168.x.x.

Refer to the Tomato Forums for more information. http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php...o-firmware.33/
The Following User Says Thank You to ddggttff3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ddggttff3 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)