A new reader app

Search This thread
N

NOOK!E

I don't know what kind of EPUBs you have and where they are.
The reader will not work with B&N purchased content.

The library scans a list of possible locations for books.
In later versions of Android the media scanner is a (somewhat) reliable source.
In our version, it's easier to do it yourself.
Hit the refresh button to scan.

Although development of both of these apps has gone forward, they have become too problematic for general release.

The problem is, he can't do any of these actions because he inexplicably gets an f/c every time he tries to launch either app. :eek:

nivieru

Nov 15, 2013
Hi Renate,
I just tried reading a hebrew language EPUB, and since hebrew is a right-to-left language everything is backwards.
is there a chance you would add rtl supprot in your reader?
I couldn't get it to work in any other reader I tried on the nook.

May 6, 2014
Last reading point problem

Hi Renate !
I have been using your reader app. It is great and simple.
But I keep losing the last reading point :crying:.I use stock Library app and Relaunch app.

So any idea of fixing this issue.
And I also like an integrated dictionary feature for a future update.:fingers-crossed:

Thank You for your Contribution to all of us.

Reactions: bisbal

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
Oops, sorry, I've been neglecting this thread.

The last released version is attached to this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54201382&postcount=94

I've been branching off a new version that has a few new things and is compatible with the new Nook Glow Plus.
It's also compatible with all my other devices including Nook Simple Touch and a Nexus 7 with Marshmallow.
I've had to change some paths and things so I have to figure out how to make it workable for everyone.

I love my new Nook Glow Plus, but without the monopod mount I'd find it a slippery customer to hold.

But I keep losing the last reading point :crying:.
Oops, sorry again. It's the library app that keeps track of last read point for all the books.
I think that I have compatibility with either my Library app or the original stock B&N.

Last edited:
Reactions: bisbal and STEELBAS

STEELBAS

May 27, 2010
Utrecht
Thanks for all your work on this app, Renate! It seems really promising, but am I right in concluding that it doesn't have a dictionary lookup-function? Also I don't really understand the Pop-push buttons in the navigation menu. How does that work?

I love the TOC-function, but I really like being able to long-press a word and having a dictionary definition pop up, so I think I'm going back to ALReader, for now...

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
Also I don't really understand the Pop-push buttons in the navigation menu. How does that work?
The "Push" button puts your current spot on a stack so that you can navigate somewhere (using forward or back presses) and return again using the "Pop" button.

I probably should dust off the released version to be closer to the version that I normally use.
The Glow2 is so horrible with touch sensitivity that I've been hesitant to mix in Dictionary context touches.

The Chris

Jul 24, 2009
The "Push" button puts your current spot on a stack so that you can navigate somewhere (using forward or back presses) and return again using the "Pop" button.

I probably should dust off the released version to be closer to the version that I normally use.
The Glow2 is so horrible with touch sensitivity that I've been hesitant to mix in Dictionary context touches.

Thanks for a wonderful reader, Renate! It works great on my old NST.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There are any number of things that annoy me about the stock B&N reader.
    I've been writing my own reader app from the ground up.
    It's missing a lot of features, but it's still become my standard reader.

I have a lot of technical references in PDF.
    At least my reader will allow me to see them in landscape mode fit to width.
    The app has adjustable overscan to get rid of the paper margins.

For EPUBs, there are 17 font sizes, 30 margin sizes, 21 line spacings.

EPUBs or PDFs can be viewed in either orientation.
    The app is eInk smart but runs on standard cell phones too.
    Here's a new version.
    It works a lot better on tiny superscript footnotes.
    Most footnotes have a reverse link that you can use, but a "Pop" will get you back too.
    New version, fixed bug with PDF viewing when there was no title or TOC.
    New version time!
    If you were already getting correct "morphing" page turns (vs. flashing) from the last update you don't need to bother with this one.
    This will do correct eInk handling on any 1.2.1 irrespective of build signature.
    Finally ready for a super pre-alpha preview.

Very short user manual:
    Hit the right screen edge or PAGEDOWN for forward a whole page
    Hit the left screen edge or PAGEUP for backward a whole page
    Hit the top screen edge for the navigation menu
    Hit the bottom screen edge for table of contents view
    Hit the middle of the screen when viewing PDFs to go down a chunk of one page
    (These 4 edges are actually the edges of the page view.
    When the TOC is showing, the left edge will be somewhere in the middle of the screen.)

There are separate config dialogs for EPUB and PDF.

In TOC view, the +/- are indicators and not controls.
    The app tries to keep everything as compact as possible.
    TOC scrolls with a drag, selects with a push on a chapter title, dismisses with a bottom push in the page side.
    You can call up navigate, page forwards and backwards while the TOC is showing.
    A single empty square and the title indicates that the PDF has no TOC.

The eInk special handling only works with 1.2.1 software.
    If you are using nofresh/fast refresh/whatever, then no guarantee nor interest in what it will do.

It may be self-delusion, but it seems to me that the text is clearer than the stock reader?

You can just install this as a regular app.
    You can set it as default for EPUB or PDF separately.
    Unless you're me, you shouldn't get rid of the stock reader just yet. :cyclops:

Hmm, I'm not sure if it will handle Last Reading Point correctly if you are using the stock library.

Oh! It will list all the fonts on your system, but it won't handle the fonts that the underlying library files don't like.