FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[DEVED/TW-ROM FIX] Developer Edition TW-4.4 ROM Fix Files [2014-04-27]

3,419 posts
Thanks Meter: 23,863
 
By Hashcode, Senior Recognized Developer on 27th April 2014, 09:18 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
TouchWiz-4.4 ROM FIXER for Developer Edition devices

WARNING: These files are for Developer Edition devices ONLY. Kernels cannot be flashed on the retail VZW Note 3 devices!

THIS PROCESS ALSO SETS KNOX 0x1

Own a DevEd? Flashed the firmware/modem bits to the new TW4.4 in hopes of seeing some of the improvements or running a stock-modded ROM?

FIRST: Big shout out to @Imoseyon who has a VERY nice kernel for unlocked devices here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2488082
Go over there and tell him thanks, because I had spent a day or so trying to fix up a boot.img but wasn't having much luck due to a crash in TIMA memory. But, then I read that someone had gotten the leak booted w/ Imoseyon's kernel and was able to rip it apart and pull just the absolute minimum changes to get a VERY close to stock kernel / ramdisk setup for the 4.4 leak.

WHAT IS THIS?
Several issues were noticed immediately on DevEd devices due to the fact that we can't flash certain portions of the updated ODIN files (aboot, sbls, etc):
  • Play Movies won't stream
  • External SD card won't mount
  • Lockscreen settings don't work
  • Imoseyon's kernel was the only boot.img which would run 4.4 leak due to aboot/devicetree changes and TIMA crashes

The files below fix these issues and provide a VERY close to stock boot.img for use on DevEd devices.


FIX FILES: 2 flashable .zip files (for use in recovery):

1st flash file: flash-vzw-de-4.4-kernel-v1.0.zip
This is a rebuilt boot.img containing:
  • New NC2 stock-based kernel with CONFIG_TIMA disabled
  • Rebuilt dt.img using 1st gen dtbTool for use with our 4.3 aboot
  • Ramdisk has default.prop changes for disabling TIMA, KNOX and securestorage (Credit: @Imoseyon / leanKernel 2.4 ramdisk)
This file only needs to be flashed once (as long as you don't swap to AOSP ROMs). You can also use leanKernel by @Imoseyon if you like his work. The difference between this kernel and his are: I used the identical settings as the stock NC2 kernel (Kernel modules are enabled, etc) in an attempt to eliminate as many differences between the DevEd and the retail device. His kernel has a TON of tweaks and updates. But, could in theory have issues running the stock NC2 VZW leak.
Kernel source: https://github.com/Hashcode/android_...hlteatt-kk-nc2

2nd flash.zip file: flash-tw44-sys-files-fixes-v1.0.zip
A set of system file changes which fix the issues noted above (this file should be flashed after EVERY TW-based ROM is flashed)


Downloads:
Mirror 1 (Goo.im)
Mirror 2 (Crackflashers)

Instructions:
  1. Download the above files and place them on your device's storage
  2. Reboot into recovery
  3. Flash flash-vzw-de-4.4-kernel-v1.0.zip if you need to fix kernel (coming from AOSP)
  4. Flash flash-tw44-sys-files-fixes-v1.0.zip after ANY flash of TW-based 4.4 ROMs to fix system files
  5. Reboot, no need to wipe cache, etc

XDA:DevDB Information
[DEVED/TW-ROM FIX] Developer Edition TW-4.4 ROM Fix Files, a Tool/Utility for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Contributors
Hashcode

Version Information
Status: Beta
Stable Release Date: 2014-04-27

Created 2014-04-27
Last Updated 2014-04-27
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Hashcode For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
27th April 2014, 09:18 AM |#2  
Hashcode's Avatar
OP Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 23,863
 
Donate to Me
More
Reserved
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hashcode For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th April 2014, 09:28 AM |#3  
BeansTown106's Avatar
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag BeanTown USA
Thanks Meter: 54,815
 
Donate to Me
More
Nice!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeansTown106 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BeansTown106 Ad-Free
27th April 2014, 10:06 AM |#4  
Thepooch's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,060
 
More
The sdcard fix worked but the screen security and play movies remains the same in captions of screen security it looks like this.
Edit: options not available due to device administration: screen lock security, encryption, credential storage type=backedup to hardware.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-27-01-51-52.jpg
Views:	924
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	2711530  
27th April 2014, 01:25 PM |#5  
DavidFlory's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 143
 
More
Great! Quick test results:

I can see my exFAT 64GB external SD card.
Cut and paste works with my password manager.
I still cannot set a screen lock PIN.

Sent from my SM-N900V DevEd using Tapatalk
27th April 2014, 02:45 PM |#6  
DavidFlory's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 143
 
More
I just received a PM from @oah2010 with the following fix for the screen unlock PIN/Password problem. He says:

Quote:

Hi,

I don't post enough to reply to the thread in beans new dev edition kernel, but I wanted to let you and the other guys know about how I got the pin and password unlock to work for me.

I found it on a random xda thread:

In build.prop,

security.mdpp.result=None, changed to #security.mdpp.result=None

This let's you use the pin unlock as well as the other options that are currently greyed out.

This works for me with the deodex 4.4 rom and leankernel even before applying the fixes in beans new thread.

Please post this in the thread so other people will know.

Hope this helps.

I have not tested this yet since I have done very little file editing. Must backup first. Then I will test.
27th April 2014, 03:08 PM |#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 74
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidFlory

I just received a PM from @oah2010 with the following fix for the screen unlock PIN/Password problem. He says:



I have not tested this yet since I have done very little file editing. Must backup first. Then I will test.

I tested this. It booted the phone up into a safe mode and reset my wallpaper/widgets. Still no luck with the lock screen.

I revered the change.

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

Big thanks to @Hashcode! SD Card (EXFAT) is working great!

I have been getting a couple lock ups/random reboots a day while on leanKernel. Going to run with this kernel for a while to see if that still happens.
27th April 2014, 03:23 PM |#8  
Thepooch's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,060
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargzrr11

I tested this. It booted the phone up into a safe mode and reset my wallpaper/widgets. Still no luck with the lock screen.

I revered the change.

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

Big thanks to @Hashcode! SD Card (EXFAT) is working great!

I have been getting a couple lock ups/random reboots a day while on leanKernel. Going to run with this kernel for a while to see if that still happens.

worked perfectly here you have to open it with text editor after mounting system r/w and delete the old copy of build properties after the new one is generated when you click save and exit, then mount the system r/o and reboot. Now get play movies going and I`m golden
mount r/w, change with text editor to #security.mdpp.result=None, click save and exit, mount r/o then reboot. Also verify that permissions are identical to the original. I hope I explained that better the second time sorry. Now I believe encryption will work too since a passcode can be set. Thanks @oah2010 and @DavidFlory .
27th April 2014, 04:39 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 74
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepooch

worked perfectly here you have to open it with text editor after mounting system r/w and delete the old copy of build properties after the new one is generated when you click save and exit, then mount the system r/o and reboot. Now get play movies going and I`m golden
mount r/w, change with text editor to #security.mdpp.result=None, click save and exit, mount r/o then reboot. Also verify that permissions are identical to the original. I hope I explained that better the second time sorry. Now I believe encryption will work too since a passcode can be set. Thanks @oah2010 and @DavidFlory .

Thanks for the additional information.

I tried it again - I must have goofed up my build.prop somehow.

Regardless, it booted back up fine, but the swipe/pattern/pin lock options are still grayed out (just like the screenshot in the thread above). I tried wiping cache/dalvik without luck. Also tried re-applying Hashcode's sys-files-fixes zip - didn't make a difference.

I do see there is also a "security.mdpp" line in the build.prop a few lines above. Wonder if that needs commented out too.

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepooch

The sdcard fix worked but the screen security and play movies remains the same in captions of screen security it looks like this.
Edit: options not available due to device administration: screen lock security, encryption, credential storage type=backedup to hardware.

Play movies is working for me...

If it's still busted for you, try going into "Application Manager", "All", find "Google Play services" and click "Uninstall updates". Once you uninstall it, Hangouts should immediately popup saying you need to update Google Play services. Re-apply this update. Try play movies again...
27th April 2014, 05:35 PM |#10  
TSman74's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 272
 
More
Question folks: Will flashing this + Beans' kk Rom update the DE's modem to the current kk from MJE? I don't plan on running touchwiz on my DE but I'm wondering if I should just flash it to get the new modem (baseband) and then go back to AOSP.
The Following User Says Thank You to TSman74 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TSman74 Ad-Free
27th April 2014, 05:56 PM |#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 74
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSman74

Question folks: Will flashing this + Beans' kk Rom update the DE's modem to the current kk from MJE? I don't plan on running touchwiz on my DE but I'm wondering if I should just flash it to get the new modem (baseband) and then go back to AOSP.

No firmware update in this. Just ROM and kernel.

As far as I know there isn't a flashable modem firmware for that yet.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stargzrr11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stargzrr11 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes