3,571 posts
Thanks Meter: 72

Post Reply Email Thread
29th November 2007, 06:35 AM |#91  
Flag Cardiff
Thanks Meter: 1

More
well....i think i was late to here....

i'm extremely interest in installing a Linux on Hermes, but donnot know how to start it...

anyone still working on it, please?

thanks a lot!!!!
29th November 2007, 01:21 PM |#92  
Thanks Meter: 57

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr2

It means that a modified asic3-mmc (himalaya/blueangel/universal/sable) driver will work on hermes/trinity/athena.

I've traced the operation of asic3-sdio and atiw-sdio.
They certainly share the same registers, but not the operation mode.
therefore we need a separate driver, and an update to 2.6.23 kernel
30th November 2007, 01:16 PM |#93  
Flag Cardiff

More
if you mean...we cannot use Linux in Hermes yet...?
11th December 2007, 09:02 AM |#94  
Flag Gas City
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I know first we need a working kernel on the phone but has anyone thought about trying to get outside help?

From an HTC tech (not the company it's self)
From another embeded project?
From TrollTech?
Or from here: http://alp.access-company.com/

I have a cingular 8525 and with any of the decent WM roms I have issues with the back lighting on the keyboard not working most of the time so Id love to have a Linux install on it where I can more easily troubleshoot things in a more familiar environment.

A simple GUI like the Access, qtopia, opie or something similar would b ideal as well.

I have some inside information from Motorola. The US cell providers do everything in their power to prevent phones running linux from coming to the US. The Motorola Razr2 is a linux phone, but to bring it to the US Motorola had to write a new OS for the phone. This holds true with several of their other phones that were linux based outside the US.

The reason they do this is that if they control the OS they have greater control over what you can install and use on their without having to pay extra service fees. If the Razr2 were linux based it would be much easier to install free themes and ring tones.

So for those of us stuck in the US projects like this are very important. So what can I do to help? My social skills and debugging skills are better than my barely existent hardware hacking skills.

Things are not as easy as they were back in the Oki days.
5th January 2008, 12:01 PM |#95  

More
Exclamation
I'm agree, but I think there're 2 streets:

1. Free developing: this mean IMHO to ask help to an available to free (= accessible and modifiable, not necessary "gratis" ) code developer;
2. Close solution: to ask a company o a freelance developer help that can will propose to buy or download for free a close kernel and/or GUI.

Who's intersted to what?

However I'm agree to find the solution, otherwise I'm thinking to sell my Tytn : Win is too inefficient and slow.
12th January 2008, 02:26 PM |#96  

More
Hi!
I have a Tytn device and i'm a linux novice. how can i help develop this thing?!

Best regards

Albert

EDIT: Got the latest files up and running on my device.. awsome
12th January 2008, 06:29 PM |#97  

More
Since there was no straight-forward howto on getting hermes-linux up and running (and because it took me a while to figure out) i decided to write one myself! =) ..please feel free to use it as you please and also let me know if i wrote something wrong and I'll fix it!

Linux on TyTn

1. Get usbnet for your computer. Make sure to set up usbnet to have the static ip address 192.168.0.1.
linux: just setup the ip (ifconfig usb0 192.168.0.1)
osx: http://www.dsitri.de/wiki.php?page=AJZaurusUSB
win: http://docwiki.gumstix.org/Windows_XP_usbnet

problems? http://docwiki.gumstix.org/Setting_up_USBnet

2. Add an EXT3 partion to your device's memory card. It is important that you also keep a FAT-partion for Windows Mobile.

3. Go to http://handhelds.org/~koconnor/HTCHermes/

4. Get the latest herm-linux- file (currently herm-linux-20070930.exe)

EDIT: Steps 5-7 are not needed to use herm-linux-20070930.exe
5. Get the latest zImage file (currently zImage-20070709)

6. Create a file called default.txt:
Code:
set KERNEL zImage
bootlinux
7. Put these three files in a folder on your FAT-partion on the device's memory card (NOT the EXT3 partion!!!)
/EDIT

8. With usb-cable plugged in, run herm-linux-XXXXXXXXXX.exe. Linux will boot to somethink similar to this:
Code:
BusyBox v1.1.0 (2006.02.24-18:59+0000) Built-in shell (aSh)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
/ w
9. Unplugg the usb-cable and plug it back in again. Device will output something like:
Code:
usb0: full speed config w1: 100 mA, Ethernet Gadget, usi
ng CDC Ethernet
10. On your computer, telnet to 192.168.0.206:
Code:
$ telnet 192.168.0.206
Trying 192.168.0.206...
Connected to 192.168.0.206.
Escape character is '^]'.

BusyBox v1.1.0 (2006.02.24-18:59+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
DONE!
12th January 2008, 06:59 PM |#98  
Thanks Meter: 69

More
just for curiosity
what is the difference between your way and the way to boot with haret ?
(described in post #49)
12th January 2008, 08:25 PM |#99  

More
It is the same, but like I said there is no howto, so i wrote down how to get everything up and running step by step

I know it will probably not help the development on the current stage of low-level programming, since all this must be rather obvious if your in that deep. I just thought that since I managed to figure out how to complete the install I might as well try to contribute the best I can with this knowledge if someone else like me wants to try it out!

Albert
4th February 2008, 12:24 PM |#100  
Flag Basque Coutry

More
Developer
Hi! I have a Magician and a Hermes, on the magician linux works relatively fine, but now i would really like to use my hermes with it too.
I have been using Linux on my desktop long time ago, and i have some knowledge about how does it works and some programming.
My question is, how to work on the kernel for the pda? where is the source code for it, how to compile it? I really want to work on it and at least make it work the sd reader and/or keyboard. I dont think that'll be hard to make the keyboard to work.
Greetings!
5th February 2008, 10:41 AM |#101  
Thanks Meter: 57

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontxudino

My question is, how to work on the kernel for the pda? where is the source code for it, how to compile it?

http://handhelds.org

Quote:

I dont think that'll be hard to make the keyboard to work.

It's already done.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)