FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Why no horizontal lock screen on Xperia Z1?

1,143 posts
Thanks Meter: 499

Post Reply Email Thread
For a phone that ships with a dock that is specifically designed for the phone to slide in horizontally, you would think they would take a few hours and design a lockscreen that can be used while docked. I mean they did it for the launcher and pretty much the whole OS (not while in landcape mind you, but specifically for use in dock mode), and that must be much harder both programmatically and design-wise. So why is there no dock-mode lockscreen? Honestly this truly baffles me.

Xperia Z did the same, and that also shipped with a dock. When are they going to learn that we do not want to look at our lockscreens sideways when docked?

For the record CyanogenMod doesn't do this, it has a dock-mode for both launcher and lockscreen.

20th October 2013, 09:55 PM |#2  
Flag Minneapolis, MN
Thanks Meter: 55

More
Lightbulb amen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekoil

For a phone that ships with a dock that is specifically designed for the phone to slide in horizontally, you would think they would take a few hours and design a lockscreen that can be used while docked. I mean they did it for the launcher and pretty much the whole OS (not while in landcape mind you, but specifically for use in dock mode), and that must be much harder both programmatically and design-wise. So why is there no dock-mode lockscreen? Honestly this truly baffles me.

Xperia Z did the same, and that also shipped with a dock. When are they going to learn that we do not want to look at our lockscreens sideways when docked?

For the record CyanogenMod doesn't do this, it has a dock-mode for both launcher and lockscreen.

i agree since i use the MHL link on my Z1 w/my 24" LCD and hate how the main home screen is portrait even when connected via MHL. however as a workaround, i bought the app called "Rotate" for about $2 and well worth it! lets me rotate homescreen adn lockscreen and do per app if wanted. just trying to figure out how to get the TV Launcher to flip since i have my MHL plugged in and in turn phone is upside down even though output to TV is fine.
13th May 2014, 09:56 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Actually, there is a lock screen in landscape mode. It is just not used for some reason.

To see it briefly, you can start the camera without unlocking the phone (from the lock screen or with the hardware button). Then, touch the small image of existing picture to go to the gallery mode. Now, the phone is locked and will display the lock screen before going to the image gallery. Since it is on the landscape mode, you will briefly see the lock screen and can even manage to type a digit or two if you are fast enough. Unfortunately, then it changes to the usual portrait mode no matter what.

So they actually implemented the screen but are not using it. Can't see the logic of that, really.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
design choices, docked, dockmode, lockscreen, user experience

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)