FORUMS

[Q] Jiayu G4s incompatibility?

7 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By drpete_doyoubnb, Junior Member on 13th May 2014, 06:19 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi all!
First of all my own compliments to all of you, so far you've been silently (to me) of great support and ideas, the knowledge sharing is very satisfactory and as well contribute to the overall progress. Thanks!

Well, on this forum I'm a newbie, so I hope I got the right posting. Apologize in advance for any mistake.

Coming to the question:
I've bought recently a Jiayu G4s (octa core MT6592 with 2gb ram) from eToTalk. Everything works fine BUT I've discovered that the following applications are totally unusable:
  • Facebook (crash after less than a second of usage)
  • Firefox (crash after few seconds of usage)
  • Babbel (crash only after you've logged in, and once you've done it crash as soon as it starts)
  • google agenda

I could imagine that the more I install apps, the more I will discover as not-compatible.

So, I think it seems to be a ROM problem
These are the logs I've extracted during crashes:

Specifically,
this seems to be the part of the log regarding the error for Babbel:

Code:
W/System.err(26543): java.lang.RuntimeException: An error occured while executing doInBackground()
W/System.err(26543):     at android.os.AsyncTask$3.done(AsyncTask.java:299)
W/System.err(26543):     at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.finishCompletion(FutureTask.java:352)
W/System.err(26543):     at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.setException(FutureTask.java:219)
W/System.err(26543):     at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:239)
W/System.err(26543):     at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1080)
W/System.err(26543):     at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:573)
W/System.err(26543):     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:838)
W/System.err(26543): Caused by: java.lang.Error: Error: could not match input
W/System.err(26543):     at c.b.a.a.d.b(Unknown Source)
W/System.err(26543):     at c.b.a.a.b.a(Unknown Source)
W/System.err(26543):     at c.b.a.a.b.a(Unknown Source)
W/System.err(26543):     at com.babbel.mobile.android.en.a.d.a(BabbelAPIResponse.java:18)
W/System.err(26543):     at com.babbel.mobile.android.en.a.a.a(BabbelAPI.java:91)
W/System.err(26543):     at com.babbel.mobile.android.en.model.o.doInBackground(ProgressSyncInBackground.java:12)
W/System.err(26543):     at android.os.AsyncTask$2.call(AsyncTask.java:287)
W/System.err(26543):     at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:234)
W/System.err(26543):     ... 3 more
and this seems to be the error from Facebook:
Code:
W/Bundle  (28036): Key result expected Parcelable but value was a java.util.ArrayList.  The default value <null> was returned.
W/Bundle  (28036): Attempt to cast generated internal exception:
W/Bundle  (28036): java.lang.ClassCastException: java.util.ArrayList cannot be cast to android.os.Parcelable
W/Bundle  (28036):     at android.os.Bundle.getParcelable(Bundle.java:1179)
W/Bundle  (28036):     at com.facebook.fbservice.service.OperationResult.j(OperationResult.java:285)
W/Bundle  (28036):     at com.facebook.feed.server.NewsFeedFilterHandler.a(NewsFeedFilterHandler.java:68)
W/Bundle  (28036):     at com.facebook.feed.server.NewsFeedFilterHandler.a(NewsFeedFilterHandler.java:61)
W/Bundle  (28036):     at com.facebook.fbservice.service.LazyFilterChainLink.a(LazyFilterChainLink.java:49)
W/Bundle  (28036):     at com.facebook.api.feedcache.db.FeedDbCacheServiceHandler.a(FeedDbCacheServiceHandler.java:155)
W/Bundle  (28036):     at com.facebook.fbservice.service.LazyFilterChainLink.a(LazyFilterChainLink.java:49)
W/Bundle  (28036):     at com.facebook.feed.cache.NFCacheServicePreprocessFilter.a(NFCacheServicePreprocessFilter.java:46)
W/Bundle  (28036):     at com.facebook.fbservice.service.FilterChainLink.a(FilterChainLink.java:20)
W/Bundle  (28036):     at com.facebook.feed.server.FeedUnitPreRenderProcessFilter.a(FeedUnitPreRenderProcessFilter.java:71)
W/Bundle  (28036):     at com.facebook.api.feedcache.memory.FeedMemoryCacheServiceHandler.a(FeedMemoryCacheServiceHandler.java:155)
W/Bundle  (28036):     at com.facebook.feed.data.FeedDataLoaderHandler.a(FeedDataLoaderHandler.java:44)
W/Bundle  (28036):     at com.facebook.fbservice.service.BlueServiceQueue.e(BlueServiceQueue.java:345)
W/Bundle  (28036):     at com.facebook.fbservice.service.BlueServiceQueue.d(BlueServiceQueue.java:56)
W/Bundle  (28036):     at com.facebook.fbservice.service.BlueServiceQueue$3.run(BlueServiceQueue.java:265)
W/Bundle  (28036):     at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:390)
W/Bundle  (28036):     at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:234)
W/Bundle  (28036):     at com.facebook.common.executors.ListenableScheduledFutureImpl.run(ListenableScheduledFutureImpl.java:59)
W/Bundle  (28036):     at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:800)
W/Bundle  (28036):     at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:100)
W/Bundle  (28036):     at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:194)
W/Bundle  (28036):     at android.os.HandlerThread.run(HandlerThread.java:60)

So, by the way I've tried to reset to factory settings, erase the cache and so on, with no changes in the result.

Model: JY-G4S
Android version 4.2.2
Version MOLY.WR8.W1315.MD.WG.MP.V21.P22,2014/03/27 17:12
Kernel 3.4.39
Build: G4S 20140410-165225

At this stage I've no idea on what I could to to try to fix my phone.
My log analysis is not pointing me on anything.
I've been googling a lot, but I haven't found anyone with the same problem as mine.

Does anyone has any idea on what to do?

Thanks in advance!!
14th May 2014, 10:47 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I'm using Facebook app from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2538918 It works fine.
I got the same problem with app from Play Store. I'm also experiencing problem with Caller ID bug. Unfortunately installing Xposed causes boot loop.
14th May 2014, 02:55 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanchej

I'm using Facebook app from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2538918 It works fine.
I got the same problem with app from Play Store. I'm also experiencing problem with Caller ID bug. Unfortunately installing Xposed causes boot loop.

Many thanks for that! It's a good workaround for Facebook issue, but on the other side I still can't use a lot of apps such as Google Agenda, Babbel, Firefox and so on.

Does anyone has an idea on how to try to fix this general issue?

From Jiayu.es I've downloaded the original ROM (that should come with root access), I've been trying to install it trough SP Flash Tool (software and driver provided as well by Jiayu.es ), but I can't find my phone from this app, seems to be stucked on this point
14th May 2014, 11:24 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 191

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpete_doyoubnb

Many thanks for that! It's a good workaround for Facebook issue, but on the other side I still can't use a lot of apps such as Google Agenda, Babbel, Firefox and so on.

Does anyone has an idea on how to try to fix this general issue?

From Jiayu.es I've downloaded the original ROM (that should come with root access), I've been trying to install it trough SP Flash Tool (software and driver provided as well by Jiayu.es ), but I can't find my phone from this app, seems to be stucked on this point

Have you downloaded the drivers via the Jiayu.es app and installed them? I'm using Windows 7 64bit and everything went smoothly after I'd installed them. I also used the flash tool available for download through the app.

Sorry, I can't help with your other problems.

Also, the ROM available through the Jiayu.es app seems to be very similar to the ROM that ships with the phone. The kernel is the same version and from memory I think the radio is too. The only noticeable difference was the Baidu IME has been replaced with the ASOP keyboard.

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanchej

I haven't tried this yet, but I think if you deodex the ROM you will be able to get Xposed to work. Head to the main Xposed thread here on XDA and search for a tool to help you. One of the posts will be linked to my username thanking the guy that shared the tool.

There's a link to info about the caller ID bug in my review thread for the G4S. If you search for caller ID and min_match you'll find the thread about the issue and how to resolve it if we were able to deodex the ROM or get Xposed working.
15th May 2014, 02:04 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Still open problems on Jiayu G4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouzo

Have you downloaded the drivers via the Jiayu.es app and installed them? I'm using Windows 7 64bit and everything went smoothly after I'd installed them. I also used the flash tool available for download through the app.

Yes. The original issue was that the drivers provided for this specific model by Jiayu.es were not correct
Searching for other drivers for generic MTK fixed the problem of connecting to a PC.

Quote:

Also, the ROM available through the Jiayu.es app seems to be very similar to the ROM that ships with the phone. The kernel is the same version and from memory I think the radio is too. The only noticeable difference was the Baidu IME has been replaced with the ASOP keyboard.

I confirm

Quote:

There's a link to info about the caller ID bug in my review thread for the G4S.

Yep, and the fix too, thanks for that.

As of now two main issues therefore remains open:
  1. Software incompatibility (so far: facebook, firefox, google agenda/calendar, babbel, others discovered after post writing: solo weather widget, google drive). This is a BIG issue as it compromise the whole usability of the phone
  2. Call with loudspeaker: placing a call with loudspeaker activated gives an echo to the other caller for his own voice.

Does anybody has any idea on how to fix these problems?
15th May 2014, 09:31 PM |#6  

More
Quote:

Yes. The original issue was that the drivers provturningided for this specific model by Jiayu.es were not correct
Searching for other drivers for generic MTK fixed the problem of connecting to a PC.

I confirm

Yep, and the fix too, thanks for that.

As of now two main issues therefore remains open:

1. Software incompatibility (so far: facebook, firefox, google agenda/calendar, babbel, others discovered after post writing: solo weather widget, google drive). This is a BIG issue as it compromise the whole usability of the phone
  2. Call with loudspeaker: placing a call with loudspeaker activated gives an echo to the other caller for his own voice.

Does anybody has any idea on how to fix these problems?

Have you tried turning the noise reduction setting on or off? In the dialer, press menu, tap settings, then tap other settings and you will see a noise reduction checkbox.
15th May 2014, 11:19 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
Software and loudspeaker call issues (2)
Quote:

Have you tried turning the noise reduction setting on or off? In the dialer, press menu, tap settings, then tap other settings and you will see a noise reduction checkbox.

Hi Ouzo. Yes, I've been trying both with noise reduction on and off. Default is on, but if I set it to off it got worse.
Echoing the caller if in loudspeaker happened to me even on my lenovo S750, but only after I've changed the touch glass as I broke it. Odd, very odd. Seems to be a voice feedback collecting issue, but to be honest I do not know what is this about.

Anyway, with the caller echoing if in loudvoice I can live with; the larger problem is now the software one. Could I please ask you to install Facebook and give a try please?

Thanks for that, I need a mate checking!
15th May 2014, 11:37 PM |#8  

More
Quote:

Hi Ouzo. Yes, I've been trying both with noise reduction on and off. Default is on, but if I set it to off it got worse.
Echoing the caller if in loudspeaker happened to me even on my lenovo S750, but only after I've changed the touch glass as I broke it. Odd, very odd. Seems to be a voice feedback collecting issue, but to be honest I do not know what is this about.

Anyway, with the caller echoing if in loudvoice I can live with; the larger problem is now the software one. Could I please ask you to install Facebook and give a try please?

Very interesting. I wonder where the problem lies.

Have you tried the MIUI ROM available through MTKForums or NeedROM? I wonder if the echo would be present on that ROM and if Facebook would work.

Unfortunately I don't have a Facebook account so I can't really test it.
16th May 2014, 08:55 PM |#9  

More
Quote:

Have you seen that there appears to be an official ROM update from Jiayu over on NeedROM? I'm downloading now...user avalanchej gave me a heads-up about it. Sounds like it at least fixes the caller ID bug.
17th May 2014, 08:17 AM |#10  
OP Junior Member

More
Cool new ROM May 16th 2014 - looking for fixes
Quote:

Have you seen that there appears to be an official ROM update from Jiayu over on NeedROM? I'm downloading now...user avalanchej gave me a heads-up about it. Sounds like it at least fixes the caller ID bug.

Many thanks for that!! As I've fully configured my phone (apps, menu, gps.conf, wi-fi accounts, etc.) I will wait a while before scratching everything another time.
I will give a try anyway to download it and make a DIFF analysis with the former version, hopefully from the code it could point out which are the differences. Thanks to you and to avalanchej for the heads-up!!
17th May 2014, 03:04 PM |#11  

More
Quote:

Many thanks for that!! As I've fully configured my phone (apps, menu, gps.conf, wi-fi accounts, etc.) I will wait a while before scratching everything another time.
I will give a try anyway to download it and make a DIFF analysis with the former version, hopefully from the code it could point out which are the differences. Thanks to you and to avalanchej for the heads-up!!

The SMS caller ID bug remains I used ext4_unpacker to have a quick rummage in the system image and many things appear to be the same (based purely on file size), including libs for graphics drivers etc. The kernel is also the same. The ROM is smaller though. Text to speech is different from the G4SW (worldwide?) ROM over on jiayu.es and it has the Baidu IME of the original ROM rather than Android ASOP keyboard. So far the only possible bug fix I've noticed is that when looking at call history in the dialler call times are no longer obscured by other graphics. I've only made one call since upgrading so this is hardly an exhaustive test. I haven't tried the camera yet to see if there are any improvements. In all, so far, it was a bit of a waste of time backing everything up, flashing the new ROM and restoring and reconfiguring stuff. I'd rather just have a phone that works without messing about these days - the only reason I'm doing any of this is because the phone was so dirt cheap!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ouzo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ouzo Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)