Hello dear developers and android hackers,
On this thread, I will share with you a project I am developing as I am learning kernel programming / hacking. This version of the williams kernel is based on Sony kernel with enhancement, mostly for battery saving.
- Based on Sony 12.1.A.1.207 kernel sources
- Compiled with linaro GCC 4.9.1 toolchain, -O3
- Frequency table from 384Mhz to 1944Mhz
- Governors : interactive, ondemand, performance, conservative, lagfree, smartassV2, intellidemand2, intelliactive and lionheart
- I/O schedulers : noop, deadline, cfq, V(R), row, sio, fifo
- CPU frequency limiter lets you underclock all cores
- Fast hotplug
- Force fast charging
- Changed minfree values for better multitasking and RAM management
- TWRP and CWM recovery included, fota partition support
- Dynamic fsync thank's to faux123
- FauxSound thank's to faux123
Use this kernel at you own risk ! I am not responsible for any damage or problem.
- Flash zip via recovery
Williams kernel v9.1 : 26.04.15
- Reactivate cpufreq limiter
Williams kernel v9 : 26.04.15
- Fixed frequency table
- Add 1944 MHz frequency step
Williams kernel v8 : 12.12.14
- Set qcom mpdecision as default hotplug (No need to deactivate it anymore unless you want to use another hotplug )
- Remove msm_mpdecision
- Add fast hotplug
- Increase 1.8GHz step frequency for better stability
- Add FOTA recovery support (Volume down)
Williams kernel v7 : 03.10.14
- Add FauxSound. Thank's to @faux123
Williams kernel v6 : 01.10.14
- Rebased on Sony 12.1.A.207 kernel sources
- Increase voltage of highest frequency for more stability
- Fix some bugs introduced in version 5.1
Williams kernel v5.1 : 20.07.14
- Updated ramdisk to .205
- Replaced philz recovery with cwm
Williams kernel v5 : 30.05.14
- Changed frequency table for more stability
- Add force fast charging, thanks to @DooMLoRD for the port
- Disabled cpu freq limiter since msm_mpdecision already takes care of it
Williams kernel v4 : 24.05.14
- Add overclock up to 1888 Mhz
Williams kernel v3.1 : 23.05.14
- Fixed antutu crashes
Williams kernel v3 : 22.05.14
- Changed frequency table to 270-1728 MHz
- Added dynamic fsync thank's to @faux123
Williams kernel v2.2 : 21.05.14
- Changed illumination at splash screen
- Fixes for compatibility with linaro GCC 4.9.1 toolchain
- -O3 compiler optimizations
- Use xz compression
Williams kernel v2 : 18.05.14
- Add V(R), ROW, SIO and FIFO I/O schedulers. Thanks to bbedward and DooMLoRD
- Add @show-p1984 's mpdecision (see faq for more information)
- Add TWRP and CWM recovery. Thanks to @dssmex and @DooMLoRD
- Add custom splash logo. Thanks to @DooMLoRD for his tutorial
Williams kernel v1 : 13.05.14
- Initial release
Check my github to see all the changes.
Q : With what ROM can I use this kernel ?
A : With any ROM based on Sony stock 4.3
Q : What features will be added to next versions ?
A : I probably don't know. If you have a feature request, please use the devdb tab for it on the top of the thread.
Q : Your kernel isn't working / My phone isn't booting anymore
A : Read this whole post once more, search for your problem in thread and report it if you haven't found a solution.
Q : Can I install this kernel on locked bootloader ?
A : No ! This kernel is only for unlocked bootloader.
Q : Does this kernel include recovery ?
A : Yes ! You can access by pressing volume button when the lights blink. Volume up to go to CWM and Volume down to go to TWRP or loads from FOTA partition if you have a kernel installed..
Q : What are mpdecision and fast hotplug ?
A : This is what manage your cpu cores and decide which core will be online. Fast hotplug is a brand new hotplug that I wrote. You can find more information there
Q : How to control fast hotplug ?
A : I modified Pimp my Z1 to be compatible with fast hotplug. You can use it without any problem on your Xperia SP to configure fast hotplug (Power Management menu) but it might have bugs with other functions (you can still try, I haven't had problems yet ).
You can find it there
Q : Where does the name come from ?
A : This kernel isn't named after someone but after a pear. We use this pear to make one of the best swiss "eau de vie" called Williamine.
* Sony for their sources and device * @DooMLoRD * @thewadegeek for his Tutorial * @show-p1984 for his mpdecision * @dssmex * bbedward * Erasmux * faux123 * Androguide.fr for Pimp my Z1 * The xda community for making me discover android and for answering so many of my questions * Google for kernel sources and its search engine * Apple for making expensive phone so that I never bought one of theirs
Please let me know per pm if there is any mistake or misspelled word in this thread. Automatic correction does a great job but since english isn't my motherthongue I'm pretty sure I made mistakes.
Williams kernel - Sony, Kernel for the Sony Xperia SP
Source Code: https://github.com/pec0ra/williams
Kernel Special Features:
Last Updated 2015-04-26