Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor View 10

[Guide] Install E988 Kitkat OTA Rom on AT&T E980

48 posts
Thanks Meter: 38

By sandyiscool, Member on 17th May 2014, 11:07 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi all,
I installed the E988 Kitkat stock (OTA) rom on my AT&T E980. The flashing went fine but there was no network/signal. I realised that the modem of E988 and E980 are incompatible and that I need to flash the correct modem for E980. So, I needed to root,install CWM recovery and flash the modem. I did some searching around on xda and found the methods to root, install recovery and flash the modem. In this thread, I want to list out the steps I carried out to get it working so that it may help others who are struggling to get it right.

Steps:
  1. Flash E988 Kitkat OTA Rom on E980
    Download the E988 Kitkat rom KDZ file from here :
    http://csmgdl.lgmobile.com/dn/downlo...E98820A_00.kdz

The instructions to flash the KDZ onto your device are in this thread (Thanks to hyelton) :
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2420219

2. Factory Reset after reboot
    When the device reboots after flashing, it will ask to enter a pin to decrypt. To solve it you will have to factory reset the device. Press the power button till the device powers off. Then, press the volume down button and power button simultaneously till the screen powers on. It will show instruction on how to factory reset. Press power button once and it will ask for confirmation. Press power button again and the factory reset procedure will start. Your device will reboot after that. On reboot, you can then proceed in the usual way you would after a factory reset.

3. Root the Kitkat Rom
    Now, you need to root your device. I searched xda for a rooting method that will work with E988 4.4.2 rom but could not find anything specific. Then, I stumbled upon the method from the following thread and it worked !!!
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=51575993

Thanks to jarari2

4. Install CWM recovery
    To install the CWM recovery on 4.4.2, I downloaded G Pro Kitkat Recovery app from the following link and installed on my device :
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4v...it?usp=sharing

Thanks to hoangnova​ from lgviet forum

5. Flash the E980 modem
    Download the correct modem that will work with E980 from here:
    http://storagecow.eu/index.php?dir=X...E980H+Modem%2F

Thanks to hyelton again.

After downloading, transfer it to your internal SD card so that you can flash it through CWM recovery. Take care that you copy it to the "internal" SD card as Kitkat reportedly has problems with accessing the external SD card. Though there may be workarounds for accessing the external SD card, I did not want to get involved in those at the moment.

After you transfer the modem zip file to internal SD card, reboot your device into recovery mode. You can easily boot into recovery mode from the G Pro Kitkat Recovery app that I wrote about in the previous step.

Once you are in CWM recovery, flash the modem zip file as you would usually do and then restart the device. You should be able to see that the network starts working and your carrier's signal bars.

The only issue that I have observed till now with this E988 rom is that it shows the internal SD card storage from 32 GB to 16 GB.

If someone can point to some method to increase the storage to its original, it will be excellent. Otherwise, I do not really mind it for the time being. I am using this rom till the time a Kitkat OTA for E980 is released. Once that is there, I will flash that stock rom.

Hope this post helps someone
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to sandyiscool For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sandyiscool Ad-Free

17th May 2014, 02:24 PM |#2  
Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 81

More
Excellent! Does the speakerphone work? Regarding the internal sd showing as 16gb, I believe I remember this issue so try searching some of the other hk kitkat roms

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk
17th May 2014, 03:55 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic717

Excellent! Does the speakerphone work? Regarding the internal sd showing as 16gb, I believe I remember this issue so try searching some of the other hk kitkat roms

The speaker phone does appear to work fine. I tested listening to a couple of calls and I could hear loud enough on the speakerphone. The speaker phone volume can be adjusted by the volume up/down keys when the speaker phone is on.
The Following User Says Thank You to sandyiscool For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sandyiscool Ad-Free
17th May 2014, 04:21 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 262

More
I wonder if flashing madmack's kernell would fix the storage issue.
17th May 2014, 04:22 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Thanks a lot for the guide, it appears near perfect, if only we can figure out a way to fix the internal sd capacity issue. Keep us posted if you find anything.

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
17th May 2014, 08:09 PM |#6  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisoman2000

I wonder if flashing madmack's kernell would fix the storage issue.

I want to be as close to stock as possible. Thus, I am avoiding using a custom kernel to fix the storage issue.

A kernel may very well be the fix as storage allocation is done by a kernel. And the stock E988 kernel is made for a 16 GB storage. Is there any other possible way other than using a custom kernel ?

The Following User Says Thank You to sandyiscool For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sandyiscool Ad-Free
17th May 2014, 08:24 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 29

Donate to Me
More
Damn. I cant flash it when it gives me low battery error. It makes me raging all the time.... also i am not even able to extract it.

Sent from my LG-E986 using XDA Free mobile app
17th May 2014, 08:28 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Ok. I flashed.. Now I have an issue on the screen I hope will get handled easily.
Once the flash completed, my phone rebooted and now I have this on my screen.
"Enter PIN/password to decrypt"
"30/30 attempts remaining"

Ok, so whats the pin? Never had one on here before.
17th May 2014, 08:34 PM |#9  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosunite

Damn. I cant flash it when it gives me low battery error. It makes me raging all the time.... also i am not even able to extract it.

Sent from my LG-E986 using XDA Free mobile app

Try charging the battery to 40% or above and then flash and see if it succeeds. Also, try changing the connection mode to 'LG Software ' before flashing.

17th May 2014, 08:53 PM |#10  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastvan67

Ok. I flashed.. Now I have an issue on the screen I hope will get handled easily.
Once the flash completed, my phone rebooted and now I have this on my screen.
"Enter PIN/password to decrypt"
"30/30 attempts remaining"

Ok, so whats the pin? Never had one on here before.

Oops, I forgot to mention this small issue in the guide. When the device reboots after flashing, it will ask to enter a pin to decrypt. To solve it you will have to factory reset the device. Press the power button till the device powers off. Then, press the volume down button and power button simultaneously till the screen powers on. It will show instruction on how to factory reset. Press power button once and it will ask for confirmation. Press power button again and the factory reset procedure will start. Your device will reboot after that. On reboot, you can then proceed in the usual way you would after a factory reset.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sandyiscool For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sandyiscool Ad-Free
17th May 2014, 09:46 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyiscool

Oops, I forgot to mention this small issue in the guide. When the device reboots after flashing, it will ask to enter a pin to decrypt. To solve it you will have to factory reset the device. Press the power button till the device powers off. Then, press the volume down button and power button simultaneously till the screen powers on. It will show instruction on how to factory reset. Press power button once and it will ask for confirmation. Press power button again and the factory reset procedure will start. Your device will reboot after that. On reboot, you can then proceed in the usual way you would after a factory reset.

Ok, got that out of the way. I'm in and installed CWM. I placed the modem.zip file in the phone. I went to CWM and chose to reboot into recovery so I can flash the modem. All it did was reboot into "Android System Recovery" and not CWM. How do I fix this so I can flash the modem?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
e980, e980h, kitkat 4.4.2

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)