FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[MOD] Moto G Working Removable Storage

128 posts
Thanks Meter: 139

By callidus_ex_de_latebros, Senior Member on 26th May 2014, 03:09 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey guys, so I know that there was a lot of false speculation about the possibility of altering the internal storage capacity of the G.
That was false, as the internal storage is actually an eMMC chip.

However, I bought a XT1032 model, with 16GB of internal storage, and, being a ruthlessly enthusiastic electronic engineer, I decided to take the matter of SD card support into my own hands.
I noticed, shortly after getting it, that my phone, being the single SIM variant, has an unused slot in the side, and, upon closer inspection, no important components around that area.

So it began; turning the unused SIM slot into a microSD slot.
I first went to PC World, and bought this tiny USB card reader:

I then stripped away all of the plastic, and all of the metal USB connector. I was left with this:

I then took the microSD slot from an old phone:

The above image shows two contacts in the top right corner which are pressed closed only when the microSD is present.
This is crucial to the operation of this mod, because it enables me to distinguish whether the SD is present or not (more on this later).

I then glued the card holder to the reader circuit board:

I used pliers and a scalpel to remove the unused SIM holder, and scrape an indent in the phone's pcb, to give more space to the reader circuit:

Finally, I soldered (VERY carefully) the relevant connections to the inside of the phone's connector, used a scalpel to cut away any obstructive plastic, and cut a copper sheet to fit over the SoC, RAM, eMMC, etc.:

And then put it all back together. I powered the phone up, and used a charger and a 2GB microSD to test everything, and hey presto, IT WORKS!

This mod takes advantage of the USB OTG function of the Moto G. My modifications, while extensive, are essentially an "Internal, Switch-able, OTG microSD Card Reader".
This is where the card holder contacts I mentioned earlier become important. The phone uses pin 4 of the USB connector to detect what is connected. A certain value of resistance between pin 4 and GND tell the phone what a connected device is. For charging the phone, or connecting it to a computer, pin 4 needs to be dealt with by the computer or charger. We cannot interfere with pin 4 in these two situations.

If we kept pin 4 low, the phone would try to constantly power the SD card reader, and so would not accept a charge, and would soon run out of battery. The solution is to only enable OTG when the microSD is present. This means that for charging, I take the SD out, the switch on the connector opens, letting pin 4 be controlled by the charger/computer. The phone can charge up, and when it's finished, I put the SD card back in, and OTG takes over again.
Neat huh?

Many thanks, and I hope you enjoyed reading!
The Following 93 Users Say Thank You to callidus_ex_de_latebros For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift callidus_ex_de_latebros Ad-Free

26th May 2014, 04:49 PM |#2  
Flag ~/
Thanks Meter: 4,769

Donate to Me
More
to charge the device we could use a very little switch that short pin 4 to 5 (but needs to remember to uninstall SD in software first)
The Following User Says Thank You to matmutant For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift matmutant Ad-Free
26th May 2014, 05:04 PM |#3  
Flag Chandigarh
Thanks Meter: 719

Donate to Me
More
and this is the reason why i love xda.

neat stuff... too bad i have dual sim
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to abhifx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift abhifx Ad-Free
26th May 2014, 06:19 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 632

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhifx

and this is the reason why i love xda.

neat stuff... too bad i have dual sim

There's nothing too bad
I'd u are a single sim user what you can do is use the other unused sim port for sd card
Correct me if I am wrong

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk
26th May 2014, 06:25 PM |#5  
Flag Chandigarh
Thanks Meter: 719

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr46000

There's nothing too bad
I'd u are a single sim user what you can do is use the other unused sim port for sd card
Correct me if I am wrong

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

i am using both the sims... so too bad.

on the other hand... people have been using universal qi charger with moto g... a similar setup with card in battery back would result in same functionality and a bit less geeky
27th May 2014, 12:46 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by callidus_ex_de_latebros

WORK IN PROGRESS!! - I WILL REMOVE THIS FIRST LINE WHEN THE PROJECT IS FINISHED (IN A COUPLE OF DAYS)!

Hey guys, so I know that there was a lot of false speculation about the possibility of altering the internal storage capacity of the G.
That was false, as the internal storage is actually an eMMC chip.

However, I bought a XT1032 model, with 16GB of internal storage, and, being a ruthlessly enthusiastic electronic engineer, I decided to take the matter of SD card support into my own hands.
I noticed, shortly after getting it, that my phone, being the single SIM variant, has an unused slot in the side, and, upon closer inspection, no important components around that area.

So it began; turning the unused SIM slot into a microSD slot.
I first went to PC World, and bought this tiny USB card reader:

I then stripped away all of the plastic, and all of the metal USB connector. I was left with this:

I then took the microSD slot from an old phone:

The above image shows two contacts in the top right corner which are pressed closed only when the microSD is present.
This is crucial to the operation of this mod, because it enables me to distinguish whether the SD is present or not (more on this later).

This mod takes advantage of the USB OTG function of the Moto G. My modifications, while extensive, are essentially an "Internal, Switch-able, OTG microSD Card Reader".
This is where the card holder contacts I mentioned earlier become important. The phone uses pin 4 of the USB connector to detect what is connected. A certain value of resistance between pin 4 and GND tell the phone what a connected device is. For charging the phone, or connecting it to a computer, pin 4 needs to be dealt with by the computer or charger. We cannot interfere with pin 4 in these two situations.

If we kept pin 4 low, the phone would try to constantly power the SD card reader, and so would not accept a charge, and would soon run out of battery. The solution is to only enable OTG when the microSD is present. This means that for charging, I take the SD out, the switch on the connector opens, letting pin 4 be controlled by the charger/computer. The phone can charge up, and when it's finished, I put the SD card back in, and OTG takes over again.
Neat huh?

I have made a video demonstration:

VIDEO WILL BE INSERTED HERE SHORTLY.

P.S: I also took the opportunity to add some copper sheet over the SoC and RAM, etc.. for better thermal management:

Many thanks, and I hope you enjoyed reading!

I made these project, but i use external connector for change the state otg to state charge battery, good project and good idea that "presence sd switch"
http://www.htcmania.com/showthread.php?t=764854

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140527_014551.jpg
Views:	7658
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	2764920

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140527_014610.jpg
Views:	7392
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	2764921
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vientodearena For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vientodearena Ad-Free
27th May 2014, 07:12 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vientodearena

I made these project, but i use external connector for change the state otg to state charge battery, good project and good idea that "presence sd switch"
Attachment 2764920
Attachment 2764921

Thanks! I honestly hadn't seen your post, but my apologies for lack of originality.

I presume you soldered the microUSB connector internally then? That's what I'm going to do - very carefully!

Thanks to everyone else for their nice comments. More pictures of the finished project, and hopefully a video, will be up soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to callidus_ex_de_latebros For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift callidus_ex_de_latebros Ad-Free
28th May 2014, 12:16 PM |#8  
Flag Wroclaw
Thanks Meter: 68

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vientodearena

Attachment 2764920

Attachment 2764921

Guys, both project are really cool!!

@vientodearena: could you please translate it ?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fabus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fabus Ad-Free
28th May 2014, 01:22 PM |#9  
Flag ~/
Thanks Meter: 4,769

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabus

Guys, both project are really cool!!

@vientodearena: could you please translate it ?

+1
29th May 2014, 10:28 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
A quick question, does anyone know why USB OTG prevents deep sleep (More to the point, how I could disable this)?

It means that the battery usage when the screen is on is pretty much the same as usual, but when the screen is off, the battery usage is massive, as deep sleep isn't occurring.
29th May 2014, 06:39 PM |#11  
Flag Wroclaw
Thanks Meter: 68

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by callidus_ex_de_latebros

A quick question, does anyone know why USB OTG prevents deep sleep (More to the point, how I could disable this)?

It means that the battery usage when the screen is on is pretty much the same as usual, but when the screen is off, the battery usage is massive, as deep sleep isn't occurring.

Probably this is related to supplying power by phone to otg device. It would be really good improvement in next kernels to stop giving power to otg device when it is idle.

Currently, when u r copying some files, playing music from e.g. otg drive, when phone would go into deep sleep, transfer would be stopped because phone goes into deep sleep, so this also wouldn't be good approach...

Wysłane z mojego Moto G przy użyciu Tapatalka
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
hardware hack, heat sink, microsd, moto g

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)